Trying to work wile distracted!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Koa Man

Kahuna giganticus
Reaction score
Been busy this past Saturday and Sunday hanging the Pro Bowl banners in Waikiki for the NFL. Was working during the first half of the Super Bowl, but I haven't watched it for the past 10 years anyway. Hard to work among so many distractions. On another thread topnotchtree asked me for bikini shots. So here are a few from this weekend's job. Sorry some are not real clear. Was a little breezy some times and was hard to hold the camera steady in the tree.

Had to work under such difficult circumstances like this obstacle below me. Being real careful not to drop anything from 35 ft. above.

We take 'um down next week Monday. People go nuts then, like vultures trying to get a free banner, as the NFL have us give them away. Will get more shots then. Here is one that I am rather disappointed came out blurry.

jmchristopher,
You apparently came on this site after the thread about spiking palms. I invite you to read this.
http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11157&highlight=spiking+palms
You are correct that it "doesn't hurt them a bit" (other than appearance.) This is from the University of Hawaii botany dept. If you have a better, more cost effective way to climb palm trees, take me up on my free trip to Hawaii. Also FYI, no I do not spike other kinds of trees unless it is a removal. You might want to also check with the Florida guys

Hey Koa Man, Thanks for the pics. I can see that life is very hard on the Islands. Good thing that one pic was a little fuzzy, It might gotten blasted if it was clear.

Jeff

Just cause hanging banners on trees isn't what many of us are used to, doesn't mean it's not commercial tree care and climbing...
He's not up there for the fun of it... How much different is that than hanging Christmas lights???

I too was wondering the same as Mike. But I suppose that heaving a throwbag 35'+ wouldn't be the safest method of installation with so many bistanders...................

As a sidenote, I have been hit in the back by a throw bag from about 25'+ and for those that don't know, it doesn't feel great! :( Oh, I should also point out that I was not the one throwing the bag..................

Originally posted by Mike Maas
Couldn't you throw a line up and use it to pull those banners up the tree, already wrapped around the trunk with a running knot, then once it's up there tug on the banner to tighten?

It's hard to explain, so maybe I'll have to come show you. :D

I don't think the hotel would allow us to do that for safety reasons. The bag would need to go over the top of the head to pull it up and some of the palms are 60+ ft. We also zip tie the banner strings every 5 ft. down the trunk. These palms get pruned 4 times a year and the trunks get calloused and rock hard. Even a new gaff will go in only 1/8 to 1/4 inch deep. I would love for someone from the Arborsite to come help me next year. You have to pay your own way though, plus my pay scale sucks. I pay the other climber who helps me $150-200 a day, depending on his speed. Still I get calls from guys wanting to do this. I think they do it to talk to all the girls that come up asking questions and the pay is just a bonus.

Gee's you shoulda said you were serious last month. I checked on flights to the Big Island and it was less then $700 round trip.:rolleyes:

I'd'a been out there!:D ;)

Heck it's around 9* right now, I'd almost leave right now < ;)

Latest posts

Back