TS 12lb maul head breaks off!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greengiant

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I got one of these about 2 years ago when I needed some extra force to get through some tough rounds. Yesterday, while smacking a piece of pin oak(which I've never split before, and it was tough stuff), the head snapped right off the handle.

It has been very versatile maul for those knotty, stringy pieces. I prefer my lighter maul for the majority of my splits. I have also used this to hammer my steel wedge into the hardest rounds. Now I know that for certain mauls, you shouldn't hit steel (like a locust post mauler should not put t-posts in the ground), but I thought "there is no way this solid piece of steel could have a problem hitting the wedge". So I'm not sure if it was just wear from hitting hard wood, or if it was caused by hitting the wedge.

I called my local TS where I got it, and the manager couldn't replace it for me since her supplier gives her no credit on it. I think I will try to find someone to weld it back on for me.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/tools/hand-tools/axes-mauls/12-lb-tubular-maul-3845653

I have fiberglass handle's on my mauls from TS and the handle's are starting to seperate from the head. Not so cool. :( they have only split probably 10 ricks (3 cords to you guys that can't add for some reason). i get a square good hit every time, but they still are wearing out. I bought one of those 4 sided wedges too, and i broke the tip off it after a cord of ash from beating it with the sledgehammer

Never had a problem with my Sotz Monster Maul, been using it for about 25 years, mostly in oak. I also picked up the red knockoff at an auction about 6 years ago, but it is not balanced as well and I don't use it.

Mauls006.jpg

My dad just broke the head off his Sotz Monster Maul not to long ago. It broke right at the weld at the top reinforcing tube. I turned a solid bar down in the lathe and pressed it in then plug welded it and rewelded the break. That thing has been around for 25-30 years so I guess it deserves some maintenence. It even got sandblasted and painted.

Everything I've ever bought from TSC I've returned. Except for their store brand bar oil.

omg ,my shoulder hurts just looking at that maul... noodle the big rounds to more manageable pieces, your body will thank you..

Mine has been welded onece. And needs it again. This time I am putting a gusset in as well.

Ray

omg ,my shoulder hurts just looking at that maul... noodle the big rounds to more manageable pieces, your body will thank you..

By the time you get one noodles I am done splitting the whole round. I tend to only split 1/2 to a full cord at a time and can go faster than a hydraulic splitter. Since I am not lugging around a 40 pound saw, I need to get my workout somehow.

By the time you get one noodles I am done splitting the whole round. I tend to only split 1/2 to a full cord at a time and can go faster than a hydraulic splitter. Since I am not lugging around a 40 pound saw, I need to get my workout somehow.

my point is that monster maul is hell on the body.. the saw I noodle with is a muffler modded 066 with a 20 inch bar and a 9 pin sprocket, most people cant out run that saw....you only get one body i dont like having to work harder than I have too.

my point is that monster maul is hell on the body.. the saw I noodle with is a muffler modded 066 with a 20 inch bar and a 9 pin sprocket, most people cant out run that saw....you only get one body i dont like having to work harder than I have too.

I bet your saw weighs more than my maul. I think I would rather swing the maul than be stooped over running a 20 pound saw.

Latest posts

Back