TSC ( Speeco, aka Husky) 35 ton log splitter from Tractor Supply Company Input!?:

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i've used 4", 4 1/2", and 5" ram splitters. The 5" ones do much better. The smaller rams units bog a lot on larger and tougher to split stuff. The cycle times are close to even till you get into the harder to split stuff. I'm happy with my 35T Speeco from TSC.

I love mine,... As noted earlier, don't trust the "assemblers" at TSC. Re-check EVERYTHING yourself and save time and headaches later. Get the Honda engine if you can, or plan on replacing the Briggs. I've busted 3 starters in a year with mine. I've also had some opportunities with my Hyd. Valve, which I'm getting ready to address with SPEECO. Other than that I've split about 28 cords in two years with it, and it splits great. I'm just waiting for the motor to crap out, then it'll get a GX Honda or the Harbor Freight Copy as a replacement.

I love mine,... As noted earlier, don't trust the "assemblers" at TSC. Re-check EVERYTHING yourself and save time and headaches later. Get the Honda engine if you can, or plan on replacing the Briggs. I've busted 3 starters in a year with mine. I've also had some opportunities with my Hyd. Valve, which I'm getting ready to address with SPEECO. Other than that I've split about 28 cords in two years with it, and it splits great. I'm just waiting for the motor to crap out, then it'll get a GX Honda or the Harbor Freight Copy as a replacement.
Agree with that, They hire a bunch of meatheads. Or the one here does. They couldn't put a 10 piece puzzle together.

Got my 35 ton this past spring. Works great and been unstopable. The newest ones have the engine on the other side and like others have said, it will be much nicer. When I went to TSC, they had this one and a couple 28 ton units with the Honda engine. A sales rep was going to come out and get them started as they said they have not been run for a few months. I went out and the Briggs started in 1 pull. We did not get the Honda units to start. I've had good luck with the B&S and have yet to pull more then 3 times to get it running (that was because it was cold out and the hydro oil was very thick).
For most the 22 ton is all the unit you need, but we split for 2 households and sell about 10-15 cords a year so it would pay for itself very quickly.

Don't be afraid of the newer I/C OHV Briggs & Strattons. If you look around the internet you will find they are fairly reliable and easy to start. If you take care of it with regular (synthetic) oil & air filter changes & fresh fuel you may just be waiting a long time to replace it! Maybe it's just me but I sense that alot of folks kind of ignore maintenance on a B&S engine where they will really take care of a Honda engine. Maybe due to the cost of the Honda, I don't know. Is there even a reliable parts source for the chinese Honda clones?

I am anxiously waiting for my 25T Speeco Splitmaster - supposed to ship today and with luck it'll be here by the weekend! :)blob3:) I looked at the Huskee 22T & 35T but decided on the Speeco 25T for the following reasons: alot of the reviews I have read on the Huskee/Speeco 35T splitters end up with the reviewer saying they wished they had saved the extra $$ and gone with a 22T over the 35T, but I wanted the bigger cylinder, pump and engine that are on the Speeco 25T. My thinking is they won't be working as hard as the smaller components of the 22T would and hopefully last longer. The cycle time is also a little faster and I like the engine & component layout on the 25T over the 22T Huskee. The 25T also has a more substantial "frame rail" than the 22 yet appears to use the same H-beam so it will be lighter than the 35T and I should still be able to move it around by myself. The beam on the 35T is really big and adds at least another 100 lbs to the splitter. Not to mention the fact that I am getting this 25T splitter for only $150 (including all fluids & delivery) over the best price I could get on a 22T @ TSC! l I will post up some pics and initial review when I get it.

As for the HP ratings, those were always kind of like when you look at flat screen TV's - it's a class of engine, not actual ratings. So now they report the torque ratings, which can be roughly converted to approx. HP. If I'm correct, in the case of my engine - a 305cc 14.5 ft./lb rating - it figures out to be almost 10HP assuming a 3600 rpm speed: (14.5 * 3600)/5250 = 9.95. For the 342cc 15.5 ft./lb engine on the Huskee 35T it works out to be 10.6HP. The 5250 is an engineering constant gleaned from the internet (google "torque conversions"). If you were to actually connect the output shaft to a dyno I'm sure you would measure less than the calculated value which is why most are going away from HP ratings (false advertising lawsuits I'm sure!)

Got my 35 ton this past spring. Works great and been unstopable. The newest ones have the engine on the other side and like others have said, it will be much nicer. When I went to TSC, they had this one and a couple 28 ton units with the Honda engine. A sales rep was going to come out and get them started as they said they have not been run for a few months. I went out and the Briggs started in 1 pull. We did not get the Honda units to start. I've had good luck with the B&S and have yet to pull more then 3 times to get it running (that was because it was cold out and the hydro oil was very thick).
For most the 22 ton is all the unit you need, but we split for 2 households and sell about 10-15 cords a year so it would pay for itself very quickly.
Great info. I have had the opposite experience.. got the northstar 37T last year with a non-japanese honda gx270 . don't hold me to this, but I think it was Mfg in Thailand. Having said, that punk starts on one pull everytime. When it's +45F no choke, under that apply the choke. Still a single pull. Even had to start it on a "cold" CA day in the high desert.. 17F, and still one pull w/ choke full-on. I have a B&S v-twin in a Lincoln Ranger 9 welder that still gives me fits...The other cool thing about that northstar set-up is they put an idle-down mechanism on it when the cyl retracts. Easy on the the fuel and the ears!! Just wish they would have used a better I-beam, still bending them!

Improved 4-way wedge

I spoke with Speeco today, the rep told me a new improved bolt on 4-way wedge would be available in 3 months

I stopped by TSC today and looked at the Huskee splitters. They currently have a deal where you can by a 22 ton splitter for $999.00. I noticed it has the B&S engine, but the design of the splitter looked pretty solid.
does anyone know who builds the Huskee brand splitters? I thought it might be MTD. However, it looks better than typical MTD-built junk.
Jeff

I just wanted to be sure that was what was being stated there. Since MTD also builds machines under the "Husky" name, I did not want to get suckered into a machine actually made by MTD.
Jeff

I have a 35 ton huskee and love the thing. it is an older model with the 11hp honda on it.

I love the machine, it has never let me down or never been able to not split a piece of wood.

I stopped by TSC today and looked at the Huskee splitters. They currently have a deal where you can by a 22 ton splitter for $999.00. I noticed it has the B&S engine, but the design of the splitter looked pretty solid.
does anyone know who builds the Huskee brand splitters? I thought it might be MTD. However, it looks better than typical MTD-built junk.
Jeff

Jeff, the Huskee brand from TSC is made by Speeco right up there in Golden, Colorado. Their customer service is absolutely second to none! I have a Speeco 25 Ton splitter and I am very impressed by the construction its performance. If you read my earlier post on this thread you will see what I considered the "selling points".

I have had mine for a few weeks now and am not disappointed in any way. As others have said, what it can't actually split it will just cut through. I have a bunch of large, ancient twisted oak that it has handled with ease.

I ordered my Speeco Splitmaster on-line. Got a fantastic price on it, free delivery plus I was able to put it together myself so I know it was done correctly. I talked to Kevin @ Speeco before it arrived and he gave me some assembly tips and I had no problems putting the aassemblies together.

Back