Tulip Poplar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MJR

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
A big one went down in the neighbors yard this morning. I already have toooo much soft wood. Should I?

Free wood is always good wood. Keeping it off the ground should help it from going bad. I have not burned a lot of it but what I did burn didn't get punky. I kept that portion covered and on pallets for a good year or so.

I like it for starting the fireplace and burning Spring/Fall. Keep it dry, I had mushrooms growing out of some I let sit out for a year.

Cut it, split it, stack it, and then burn it next fall.

Run it in the afternoons and eve when you're home and can tend the fire, saving the good stuff for overnight and the dead of winter.;)

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Cut it, split it, stack it, and then burn it next fall.

Run it in the afternoons and eve when you're home and can tend the fire, saving the good stuff for overnight and the dead of winter.;)

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Good advice!!!
Wood is wood....the stiffer the better.:clap:I mean harder....awe forget it.....

Heck yea, saw it up and cart it home.If nothing else,it gives you a chance to run your saw.Like others said, burn it when you are home to shovel it in.
Poplar makes great kindling for starting other wood as well.

I have a lot of it already cut, split, and stacked but it is mixed in with other wood like Oak, Cherry, and Gum. How long can it last if it is not covered?

I already have 3 cords of hemlock cut/split/stacked and four more to process to mix with my normal north east hardwood. I will see what happens this weekend. If I had some room under a roof it would be a no brainer. I think it will end up next to the road.

A big one went down in the neighbors yard this morning. I already have toooo much soft wood. Should I?

On a forum full of firewood and chainsaw addicts what sort of responce would you expect for that kind of question ?

Of course you should !!

When you think you are getting to much firwood just burn more. The piles will grow back.

Just like on the Doritos commercial "Go ahead ! Eat all you want . We'll make more."

I have a lot of it already cut, split, and stacked but it is mixed in with other wood like Oak, Cherry, and Gum. How long can it last if it is not covered?

If it isn't humid where you're at, two seasons or so.

It rots like apples with ground contact though..

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Back