Tulip/Yellow Poplar planted for farm?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yukiginger

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have access to a large tract of land (300 acres) in central/western NY between Rochester and Syracuse. This land is owned by my parents and is probably 40/60 fields/woods. The farmland is leased, but much of it goes unplanted each year. Some fields have not been worked in 15 years.

My parents have had the woods logged a few times in the past 25 years, and a logger just finished up on part of the property. A family friend is also a logger/mill operator and he recommended planting Tulip if we ever wanted a good crop for lumber.

Would this be a good choice? If any of you had access to this kind of land and wanted to turn a profit or add value to the land what would you do? I am in my late thirties so I realize that I might not be alive to see a profit from it, but if I might someday pass that land to my son that would be okay, too.

This land is far enough from cities or large towns to not be valuable for development. Most rural land there sells for $500/acre or a little less. My local soil and water has 18"-24" seedlings of tulip for just over $1 each.

I could get an open field worked by a local farmer affordably, I think, and I could manage to keep the weeds down around the trees for the first few years, anyway.

Thanks for any advice.

MarkG

How about mix in some other species with the tulip poplar, maybe white pine, some white oak, might as well throw some high bush blueberries in there too so you'll have something to eat while the trees are growing :)

I was thinking that you're on the northern edge of the range for optimal tulip poplar but with global warming it will be perfect when the trees are starting to get large.
-moss

Tulip trees are a good choice. I agree with moss about a mix though (insects and disease). Oak, birch, maple and hickory are worth considering.

Just my thoughts, isn't hybrid poplar supposed to be fast growing ? I know its marketable timber.

Think about how your going to lay your trees out in order to get your weed plan ready(type of equipment used, machine size etc.)

I use a Herbi micron CDA sprayer that is battery operated and handheld. You would be surprized how much acreage you can treat with that and the cost per acre as well. If your gonna use Roundup or economize and use Glyphomax, buy it in bulk(min.30 gallons). What you dont use you can sell to friends/enemies and make a buck or two.

Also, if your gonna use those small seedlings and use weedkiller, you want to think about using some kind of tree covers. I recommend getting green plastic bottles that sevenup or sprite come in (2litres I think) and cutting the top and bottom out placing them around your planting. There free and when your tree gets old enough just remove them.

Back