Tuning a Dolmar 7900

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gregford

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey guys,

can you tune a Dolmar 7900 carb by ear or do you really need a tachometer? The local Dolmar/Makita agent insists that a tachometer is necessary.

I'm wondering because this one seems a bit different to tune compared to the average chainsaw. The high-speed mixture screw seems a lot more gradual than a Husky's, and if I set the mixture so it's only just 4-stroking, it seems to be running too rich according to the plug colour.

2 reasons I ask is that the last owner stuffed a piston and barrel by running it far too rich (severe carboning scratched up the bore) and I'm not all that impressed with the saw. On paper, it has marginally more hp than my 288, yet there is no way it compares. It hasn't run in yet, but it has excellent compression (perhaps a tad more than the 288), so I was expecting great things from it. Perhaps the old adage that there's no substitute for cubic inches applies here...

Thanks!

This is a good video of tuning a 7900.

object>

Thanks Mike,
It doesn't sound like my BB kit when stroking. It also doesn't sound like riching up the mixture is having much effect.

It probably would, IF he was richening up the mixture!:D
It started out quite rich and he kept going leaner 'til it hit the sweet spot!:clap:

Mike

Yup started rich and ended up clean and right on the limiter, aka just right.:cheers:

Thanks Andy and Mike,

I always wondered what the difference in sound was between stroking and bouncing..I guess my follow up question is can you have one without the other or do you just lean till you get consistant bouncing ?

is there an easy way to tell if the Makita has a rev-limiter ?

Thanks Andy and Mike,

I always wondered what the difference in sound was between stroking and bouncing..I guess my follow up question is can you have one without the other or do you just lean till you get consistant bouncing ?

Angelo,

The difference in sound is really hard to tell.
That is why Andy tunes them in the cut, to take the rev limiter out of the equation. The sound when hitting the limiter is usually a coarser sound if that makes any sense. Huskies are easier to hear on the limiter for me than the Dolmar/Makitas.

Yes you can have one without the other! That is what makes the tune on these so critical.
If it four strokes before it hits the limiter at 13,500 that is ok for the most part as long as it is close.(Way too rich can cause excessive carbon which can cause damage too)
But hitting the limiter and being too lean is a sure recipe for disaster, that is what causes the dreaded LEAN seize.
The easiest way to tell if the Makita has a rev limiter is to ask! Yes they do unless the ignition has been changed out for an unlimited one.

HTH
Mike

Last edited:
Angelo,

The difference in sound is really hard to tell.
That is why Andy tunes them in the cut, to take the rev limiter out of the equation. The sound when hitting the limiter is usually a coarser bound if that makes any sense. Huskies are easier to hear on the limiter for me than the Dolmar/Makitas.

Yes you can have one without the other! That is what makes the tune on these so critical.
If it four strokes before it hits the limiter at 13,500 that is ok for the most part as long as it is close.(Way too rich can cause excessive carbon which can cause damage too)
But hitting the limiter and being too lean is a sure recipe for disaster, that is what causes the dreaded LEAN seize.
The easiest way to tell if the Makita has a rev limiter is to ask! Yes they do unless the ignition has been changed out for an unlimited one.

HTH
Mike

Thanks Mike,
that all makes sense. I guess the best thing to do is to tune your ear TO the tach and confirm one off the other. I've always just leaned till it stroked and really didn't concern myself with the limiter. I agree I don't have too much uncertainty tuning my Huskys or the Stihls, my Mak seems "smoother" to me.

Thanks Andy and Mike,

Another way to tell if your saw is rev limited (if you have a tach) your tach will go crazy when it's bouncing off the limiter.
Shep

Latest posts

Back