Twice in 2 days

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TJ-Bill

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
This is twice now in 2 days I've had someone ask to borrow my saw.. A buddy of mine asked me yesterday, wanted my MS310 to chuck up somer tree length for his GF's farther. I said no! He kept bugging me saying I'll be easy on it, I know what I'm doing! He has expirence but the guy is just hard on his equipment. He over heated and siezed up his Husky 266 last year! and broke his GF's farthers 2150 Johnsred a few weeks ago. Anyway I said NO meant No then he tried to get me to lend him my MS180 to do it!! HA!
Then today I get to work and a guy I work with says " hey you have a chainsaw?" He wants to cut some what he calls dead standing trees around his house and he's never used a saw.. Again I says NO.
It's hard to explain to someone that has no clue why I just don't lend out my saws..

I must be a lush because I have a hard time saying no. BUT I am also not stupid. When somebody comes around slobbering all over my shelf full of top notch saws and wanting to borrowa saw I say no problem man,, and go to the back room and pull them out one of two 610 macs that I keep around just for the purpose. The questions and my answers each time are boringly similar
Q. Does it run??
A. Did before I started loning it out

Q. Does it run now?
A. I'll have to call the last guy that borowed it.

Q. Is the chain sharp?
A. Was before I started loning it out, wanna file too?

Q, What about these saws, looking over the shelf
A. Id sooner lone out my wife

Q. I take it you dont like to lone out saws?
A. Does it realy show???:confused:

If that were me and someone wanted to use my saw, I would answer yes but I go where it goes. If they are my friend enough to ask for my saw, then they are friend enough for me to help them. And my saw gets used properly, by me.

I get questions like that all the time, and its hard just flat out saying "no". About the only thing i loan out now is my big trailer from time to time.

My dad told me when he first started making log splitters and getting into wood, he would paint a sign on the hydro tank of his splitters that said:
"I don't ask to borrow your old lady, don't ask to borrow my log splitters"
occasionally i think the old man had a few good ideas...

i dont lend saw's

ask a big cash deposit when they look at you funny and go i could buy my own saw........you tell them that's how much it cost to replace it when you mess it up........ i may help them cut up stuff.....most don't know how to run a $100 dollar saw why would i lone a $700 dollar saw it takes two seconds to ruin or has much more power then they are use too and is a accident waiting to happen

I must be a lush because I have a hard time saying no. BUT I am also not stupid. When somebody comes around slobbering all over my shelf full of top notch saws and wanting to borrowa saw I say no problem man,, and go to the back room and pull them out one of two 610 macs that I keep around just for the purpose. The questions and my answers each time are boringly similar
Q. Does it run??

Q. Does it run now?

Q. Is the chain sharp?

thats a good un Butch. i like---

I've got an old Wild Thing for my loaner. :hmm3grin2orange:

I'm like Mike. If someone needs one of my good saws I'll go with it.

I have to wonder if a person got injured while using your saw could they come back sue you and win? I know that it sounds crazy but I've saw people sue and win for a lot less than a chainsaw injury.

Last edited:
If that were me and someone wanted to use my saw, I would answer yes but I go where it goes. If they are my friend enough to ask for my saw, then they are friend enough for me to help them. And my saw gets used properly, by me.

Same here..

Most of the time they just ask if I will come out and cut whatever...I guess most know better then to ask for just the saw.

:agree2: Thats how I feel. But I dont have too many friends so someone asking to borrow my saws is rare. :)

I've got an old Wild Thing for my loaner. :hmm3grin2orange:

I'm like Mike. If someone needs one of my good saws I'll go with it.

I have to wonder if a person got injured while using your saw could they come back sue you and win? I know that it sounds crazy but I've saw people sue and win for a lot less than a chainsaw injury.

I have a few saws not appearing in my signature I'd be willing to loan out. But it hasn't come to that. Everyone I know falls into 3 basic chainsaw related categories:

1. Folks who heat with wood and own their own
2. Folks who just in general would never want to run one because they're scary.
3. Folks who are unaware of my double life as a woodboogah :)

Q. Does it run??

Q. Does it run now?

Q. Is the chain sharp?

That reminds me of the days when I smoked.
It goes like this....a guy asks for a smoke...here ya go. The next thing ya know everyday...here he comes...gotta smoke.
Finally I got a pack that I had found outside rainsoaked.
I let her dry and that's what I started to hand out...pretty soon no more beggars.
Sure buddy...they are over there on the shelf...one look and they'd say what about those fresh ones in your pocket...hey pal...you get a paycheck too.:rock:

That reminds me of the days when I smoked.
It goes like this....a guy asks for a smoke...here ya go. The next thing ya know everyday...here he comes...gotta smoke.
Finally I got a pack that I had found outside rainsoaked.
I let her dry and that's what I started to hand out...pretty soon no more beggars.
Sure buddy...they are over there on the shelf...one look and they'd say what about those fresh ones in your pocket...hey pal...you get a paycheck too.:rock:

1231.gif
I love it. I'm going to call my craftsman the watersoaked ciggie of my collection. Take that, mooch!!!
751.gif

I'm glad someone brought this up, I thought I was the only one that didn't like to lend the tools that have taken me all my life to collect. I mean, come on over friend, and I will help you do what you want done (or I will help you at your place), but why would I just let you walk away with valuable stuff that will last me the rest of my life if I take care of it?? I guess it was my upbringing my dad used to always say "neither a borrower nor a lender be".

I looked it up - Shakespeare????

From Shakespeare's Hamlet, 1603:

LORD POLONIUS:
Neither a borrower nor a lender be;
For loan oft loses both itself and friend,
And borrowing dulls the edge of husbandry.

(husbandry n. The act or practice of cultivating crops and breeding and raising livestock; agriculture.)

I'm glad someone brought this up, I thought I was the only one that didn't like to lend the tools that have taken me all my life to collect. I mean, come on over friend, and I will help you do what you want done (or I will help you at your place), but why would I just let you walk away with valuable stuff that will last me the rest of my life if I take care of it?? I guess it was my upbringing my dad used to always say "neither a borrower nor a lender be".

LORD POLONIUS:

(husbandry n. The act or practice of cultivating crops and breeding and raising livestock; agriculture.)

That's good right there! But I admit I do borrow carefully, and at a last resort, and I return in the same shape or better (and of course fix if I damage).

Kevin

Last edited:

LORD POLONIUS:

HAhaha. I love the shakespeare quote .. that might be my ne Sig..
I will admit.. I do borrow for time to time.. but I borrow very carefully I always borrow what I really need and know I can handle and can't do the job without.. and my rule is... If I have to borrow it twice in 2-3 years, I NEED ONE!! so pony up and go buy one!! Unless it's a Dump truck or backhoe.. Not that I don't need one, they're just out of the budget!! right now.. :dizzy::chainsaw:

I guess I go against the grain a little. I have a few freinds that grew up "rural", and cut a good bit of wood while in school, but now have that house and an acre. They really don't need a saw but once every few years, and when they do, I'll either go do it for/with them if I have the time, or send em out the door with one of the Stihls, and a can of gas and oil, just in case. Usually they come back dull, but running, and seem to have found a box-o-beer to bring home with them.

Edit: reason I send the Stihls along is they are fairly small and easy to handle, start easy, and are safer than some of my old saws.

Someone with no saw skills, gets me+saw, or not at all.

I've even got a cheapo pair of chaps I got at a garage sale I can send along for a little piece of mind too.

Try this trick sometime: when someone needs a saw, go along and give pointers on proper technique, basic maintenance, etc. I have one friend that just loves playing with saws now, helps me cut when he can fit it into his schedule, and is getting fairly good with a file. I've got another friend's wife I started to show the ropes to, and she wants to learn more. Luckily, I have plenty of opportunities for her to practice!

Last edited:
i would lend mine out.

if i got a cash deposit that was at least enough to buy a brand new one.

i figure i f i loan a saw to someone who doesn't have their own,i wouldn't want it when they are done with it.

Great Post Steve.

I guess I go against the grain a little. I have a few freinds that grew up "rural", and cut a good bit of wood while in school, but now have that house and an acre. They really don't need a saw but once every few years, and when they do, I'll either go do it for/with them if I have the time, or send em out the door with one of the Stihls, and a can of gas and oil, just in case. Usually they come back dull, but running, and seem to have found a box-o-beer to bring home with them.

Edit: reason I send the Stihls along is they are fairly small and easy to handle, start easy, and are safer than some of my old saws.

Someone with no saw skills, gets me+saw, or not at all.

I've even got a cheapo pair of chaps I got at a garage sale I can send along for a little piece of mind too.

Try this trick sometime: when someone needs a saw, go along and give pointers on proper technique, basic maintenance, etc. I have one friend that just loves playing with saws now, helps me cut when he can fit it into his schedule, and is getting fairly good with a file. I've got another friend's wife I started to show the ropes to, and she wants to learn more. Luckily, I have plenty of opportunities for her to practice!

+1

Al :cheers:

Back