Twin Oak Removal

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PineFever

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Had a call to remove a couple of Black oaks that were growing right next to the foundation of the house. They caused the foundation to crack about 1 and 1/2 inches wide at the footing level. The trees were 14" and 16" dbh. One was grown over the incoming electric line. Very narrow working zone due to the house and their neighbors chain link fence and Japanese style garden with fountains ponds statues etc. I made a deal for the dough and to keep the wood. Made enough to pay for my new CS360T and put $450.00 towards the MS660 fund. Took two loads of rounds home in my 12 foot trailer.
The homeowner didn't show up to take a few pics until I already had half of the first oak down. All in all it was a sweet little job.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

:cheers::cheers:

Nice work n gear. I could see no spurs even for a tall thin take down.
Was that a foot loop for assent? and a cambium saver? or was that just to protect your rope. Anyhoo your job your style great work and a nice day it seemed.
Who would plant or let a tree like that grow there?? Well kinda handy for us keeps the bills paid.

Nice work n gear. I could see no spurs even for a tall thin take down.
Was that a foot loop for assent? and a cambium saver? or was that just to protect your rope. Anyhoo your job your style great work and a nice day it seemed.
Who would plant or let a tree like that grow there?? Well kinda handy for us keeps the bills paid.

No foot loop just a CMI foot ascender, and yes, I always use some sort of friction saver to protect my ropes. Seems like lots of trees are planted right next to homes for shade purposes, some just don't see the long run, but I guess thats what what keeps us busy.
:cheers:

Looks like good stout rope : )

Do you sell the wood or burn it in a woodstove yourself?

Looks lie some nice work. I use the CMI foot ascender with a hand ascender and use the same exact technique to ascend on my pruning jobs. For removals I break out the spikes.

Anyway, good job! :cheers:

ssurveyor:

Hey Gordon, Same XTC Fire I sent you.
Yes I do burn some at home and sell the rest.:cheers:

oxbow:
Nice score on the firewood, those would have been just the right size for my Ripsaw!

Thanks, If you lived close by, wanted to help, I could have taken a different approach on the removal and you could have had the logs.:cheers:

tree md:
Looks like some nice work. I use the CMI foot ascender with a hand ascender and use the same exact technique to ascend on my pruning jobs. For removals I break out the spikes.

Thanks, some days I just don't feel the need to spike it, and when I'm doing a job solo like this one it's quicker for me to get up and down the tree for several trips.:cheers:

tree MDS:
Yeah, whats up with the no spikes.. and that one log looks like a beaver or something nawed it off.

Usually don't spike a job if I'm solo with a narrow work zone.
I had my pet beaver with me to help, (j/k) If I could have got some earlier pics the first one had some gut rot and had major lean over the electric coming into the house, I put a lot of bullrope pressure the opposite direction and she gave in a little early but dropped right against the other tree so I could lower the top down.:cheers:

treemandan:
A solo jaunt?

Good call, you are right.:cheers:

ssurveyor:

Hey Gordon, Same XTC Fire I sent you.
Yes I do burn some at home and sell the rest.:cheers:

oxbow:
Nice score on the firewood, those would have been just the right size for my Ripsaw!

Thanks, If you lived close by, wanted to help, I could have taken a different approach on the removal and you could have had the logs.:cheers:

tree md:
Looks like some nice work. I use the CMI foot ascender with a hand ascender and use the same exact technique to ascend on my pruning jobs. For removals I break out the spikes.

Thanks, some days I just don't feel the need to spike it, and when I'm doing a job solo like this one it's quicker for me to get up and down the tree for several trips.:cheers:

tree MDS:
Yeah, whats up with the no spikes.. and that one log looks like a beaver or something nawed it off.

Usually don't spike a job if I'm solo with a narrow work zone.
I had my pet beaver with me to help, (j/k) If I could have got some earlier pics the first one had some gut rot and had major lean over the electric coming into the house, I put a lot of bullrope pressure the opposite direction and she gave in a little early but dropped right against the other tree so I could lower the top down.:cheers:

treemandan:
A solo jaunt?

Good call, you are right.:cheers:

A solo jaunt is was!:cheers:

Very nice job!!...gotta love that black oak, its what I burn.

Got me some today!!!!!! Had to climb up there and rig it down first, them boys down there had me flouncing around, trying to rag doll me but I can hang. They kept asking me " how many wraps?" I said " hell, I don't know and I sure don't care but here it comes". Someone came out and moved the BWM after the first couple shots. It died over the winter but still plenty strong. 3 loads went out somewheres else but I snagged a hefty load to myself you had better beleive. I was taking it slow on the way home with the load and was thinking everybody behind me was getting mad til I came up on the older gent in the Buick.
I was quite the prick, I took the straight stuff out of the middle. Not too big, not too small, easy to work on the splitter. I let the huge stuff go as well as the small. Oh I can't wait, the stuff is primo!

pine fever

Nice job and good pics.:clap:

So how do you rate that echo 360?

From what I've seen ,It's the same price as a 192,but with the c.i.d. of a 200. Thinking about giving one of them a try,depending on how the reviews go.
I had one of the smaller ones before[forget the model ].Didn't care much for it, had a vent right next to the gas tank and if you overfilled it just a tiny bit it would run into the air filter.And was down on power a bit compaired to the 192.
I'm pretty sure they discontinued that model though.

From what I've seen ,It's the same price as a 192,but with the c.i.d. of a 200. Thinking about giving one of them a try,depending on how the reviews go.
I had one of the smaller ones before[forget the model ].Didn't care much for it, had a vent right next to the gas tank and if you overfilled it just a tiny bit it would run into the air filter.And was down on power a bit compaired to the 192.

Take a good look at it first. If the chain tensioning device is the same as the 330t stay the frig away from it. 330t tension screw and plastic nuts encased in plastic grove on saw. Just minimal movement the wrong way will stretch out the plastic grove the screw rides in and you will not be able to tighten the chain with out a little mickey rigging to the saw. Design sucks. Not sure the 360 could be different but just make sure.

Take a good look at it first. If the chain tensioning device is the same as the 330t stay the frig away from it. 330t tension screw and plastic nuts encased in plastic grove on saw. Just minimal movement the wrong way will stretch out the plastic grove the screw rides in and you will not be able to tighten the chain with out a little mickey rigging to the saw. Design sucks. Not sure the 360 could be different but just make sure.

I was wondering who buys these things.. :laugh:

I'm impressed with the 360T. It has really woke up after 10 tanks of fuel.
I would have liked to purchased a MS200T but didn't want to shell out the 6 bills. I want to purchase a MS660 next month and couldn't do both. I purchased this one at Wise Equipment Sales online for 269.00 with no tax and free shipping. The saw is easy to work on, the new design has the filter in the rear handle opposite end from the fuel fill. The saw had no problem eating these oaks right up. I know there is a five year warranty on the saw, but I'm going to figure out how to remove the limiter caps and do a muffler mod here shortly.

I still dont understand what being solo has to do with wearing spikes or not..

Maybe you are the spike superman, but for me I can get up and down the tree a lot faster when having to do it several times on a single tree. At my age I'll save all the wear and tear on my body I can. It's pretty simple. No ground person to guide the rigged top to its resting destination. Very tight working zone so there is a need to go down to the ground and guide the cuts into a safe area in this case was about 10 feet in dia 20 feet away from the main trunk.

Latest posts

Back