Two big (40" and 25") ash trees = lots of firewood (with pics, dial-up beware)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the compliments. I could feel the first fiber pull and break when it started to go through the ground in my feet, despite that I was wearing thick soled, steel shank boots and the Stabilicer cleats. So when I felt that, knowing I was close to the end of the cut, I decided it wise to turn tail and clear the area. Especially it having such a big and dead crown.

I do like the wrap chaps, but have never worn any other style, so I might not be able to give you a well rounded opinion. I can tell you that over the course of this winter I've been clearing some 15 - 20 year grown in fencelines full of bramble, multiflora and bittersweet, and the chaps don't get snagged on any of it. Just keep them reasonably snug and tuck in the ends of the straps.

Good info on the chaps, that's what I wanted to know. I'll see if my dealer has then next time.

That's a singular feeling when you can feel it in your boots before you are ready for it. Nice take-down though.
Dok

I was out working on the smaller ash tree today after work. Snapped a couple more pics...

Here's one round that I mentioned there were multiple origins of growth rings-
1.jpg

I counted the rings on the stump and the tree was 67 years old. Now I need to count the growth rings on the other one :)

Here are some rounds I cut out of the trunk. Sharp chain in this stuff is so much fun. 372 has no problem pulling a full comp 24" in white ash, I can verify that.

0210091647.jpg

And a shot of the whole tree. I finished bucking the trunk today but the light was a little low to get a good pic by the time I finished-

0210091647a.jpg

And because I know some of you are wondering about the haul rig...

0210091647b.jpg

Tractor is a Branson 3820i and the wood wagon is a converted manure spreader (that's why the axle is so far back). We also use it to haul small loads of hay and other miscellaneous things. I have a smaller wagon I use to fill my wood box in the garage every two weeks or so. This one can fit a LOT of wood on it.

Nice set up Mark and beautiful wood! I love too bump into ash once in while but up here it's not near as prevalent as it is down south just a bit. I have some in my own yard but they aren't going anywhere for a while. That's going too be some nice firewood next season. :cheers:

View attachment 89701

This ash was next to my house and starting to show signs of decay. Thought I better cut it down before it fell on the house. My Makita 6401 has the 79 cc piston kit and a 28" bar and skip tooth chain. It was barely able to reach the center from both sides. We counted 120 rings. It was 15' around and 58" across.

View attachment 89701

This ash was next to my house and starting to show signs of decay. Thought I better cut it down before it fell on the house. My Makita 6401 has the 79 cc piston kit and a 28" bar and skip tooth chain. It was barely able to reach the center from both sides. We counted 120 rings. It was 15' around and 58" across.

Nice! That's one heck of an ash tree! They don't get near that size around here. Cool too the gang out there helping you. That bad boys gonna keep you warm for a while!

Last edited:
I started burning that Ash right away. I found out that you can burn ash immediately, on this very forum.

Ash trees must not be native here. The only other one I know of is one I planted 17 years ago.

The cat my daughter is holding got hit by a car about 10 min after the pic was taken! Too bad she had to be there for that, but we DO have plenty of cats.

I had the same idea this past week-end. Cut an ash with 4 leads at about chest high. They were about 20" in dia. and went straight to the sky. Pulled out 1 1/2 dump truck loads. Needed the wood to burn now. Piled it right by the stove.

I did some splitting yesterday, thought I'd enjoy the warm weather.

This was the night's haul, not bad for an hour's work (sorry about the focus, it was low light and I was using my camera phone)-

0211091725.jpg

This is what's left of the tree... pretty much just the main trunk which should be pretty quick to split and pick up.

0211091725a.jpg

Ahh.... a man can get lost in his thoughts on a day like today with a sunset like this (looked much better in person of course)-

0211091724.jpg

By the way, it looks like around 1.5 cords total in this one... not sure about the big one yet.

Back