Two chipper tire blowouts in 8 days...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gorman

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Both the result of something small and dangerous in the road that was run over. Today it just happened on the Newport bridge. After grabbing my groundie to keep him from going into traffic to retrieve what was left of my tire I called 911 to get a state trooper to keep traffic from running us over (no breakdown lane.). After a tow and some work done on the rim we made it to the job and finished out the day while still making some $$$. Quoting the mighty boosh, "the fun fun times couldn't last".

Both the result of something small and dangerous in the road that was run over. Today it just happened on the Newport bridge. After grabbing my groundie to keep him from going into traffic to retrieve what was left of my tire I called 911 to get a state trooper to keep traffic from running us over (no breakdown lane.). After a tow and some work done on the rim we made it to the job and finished out the day while still making some $$$. Quoting the mighty boosh, "the fun fun times couldn't last".

As a friend of my brother says "If it's not one thing, it's your mother."

:greenchainsaw:

Tuesday I ran over a tee post that was laying on the ground. It punched two golf ball size holes in both front tires(sidewalls on grapple truck). Two hrs and six hundred dollars later after service truck left we were back to work.

I re- read your post to find that you hit something in the road. I only asked the above question because it seems a lot of the chippers tires wear the inside tread rather quickly. Yeah, you got to watch what is laying in the road.

I only asked the above question because it seems a lot of the chippers tires wear the inside tread rather quickly.

Been finding the same thing on my chipper as well the inside is wearing down much quicker. There might be a possible bend in the axel, I've had a look under there but didn't know if it was just a trick of the eye.

Had both tires blow out on me to found out it was a result of them sitting flat while they were in the show yard (It was bought as a used machine) Didnt occur to anyone on my team or the sakes team that it would cause a problem.
Just go to be mindful of these things. (Hopefully wont be buying another second hand chipper anyhow. Cant wait for our new machine).

the inside of the tires were a little bald, but i wasn't riding on bologna skins. the first blowout was certainly due to hitting something unnoticeable in the road. after that i checked the other one real good just to be sure, and it was aok. bad bad luck my friends. some carpenter gave us the middle finger too.

I think the common inner tire wear can be attributed to the torsion bar suspension. I don't beleive you can bend one of those axles without really trying. It seems all the chippers out there have torsion bar suspension and they all wear the inner side of the tire. I would say if the torsion bar really was out of wack the tire could be gettine to hot and blowing out.
Now what about this carpenter? I suspect it wasn't Jesus but why the finger?

Dude took a cheap shot at us. First time this ever happened it was with my old chipped on the Jamestown bridge. had traffic backed up for two miles. traffic copter was in the air. police made me sit outside of my truck while the tow truck arrived. Meanwhile every person who passed us either shook their head in disgust or pointed and laughed. one dude yelled "fag". people like seeing others in low points.

I just had a blowout on the freeway. I hit the offramp, but nowhere to pull over. I crept it up the road until I found a spot to park, but by then the rim was shot. The only place I could get a rim was from Bandit- $189. Dexter torsion axles are notorious for cambering in, tires worn on the inside.

As a friend of my brother says "If it's not one thing, it's your mother."

:greenchainsaw:

I believe the correct sayng is "If it's not one thing, it is another." Don't want you to go through life thinking it is "your mother." :)

Back