Two Simple History Questions...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some of us here at work were just discussing the Obama inauguration...expecting 5 million...We work 20 mi. west of Ground Zero...thinkin' bout taking that day off work!

He smoked pot too...

You beat me to it. I was going to say hemp. I love it when you get a one dollar bill and someone has drawn or stamped the words coming out of George's mouth, "I grew hemp" or " I smoked hemp" with a big ol' hog leg hanging on his lip.

Last edited:
Somehow I Think we lost track of the subject. How were these president's homes heated, including the White House while they lived there?

The only fuels I can think of were (1) passive solar, (2) wood, (3) coal, (4) whale oil.

Assuming the sun often went behind clouds and all three men lived in the north, that pretty much knocks out passive solar. Electricity had not been invented, and petroleum was not being drilled. Coal mines had not yet opened in Pennsylvania or West Virginia, but I suppose coal could have been shipped in from England or France. Whale oil would not have been produced in enough quantities. Most was probably used for lamps.

Therefore, is it possible that anything else but wood could have been used at that time to heat the buildings? LOML thinks that coal was available. Was it?

George Washington was born in Westmoreland County, Virginia.

Barack Obama was born in Hawaii in 1961, two years after it became a state. And, the 14th Amendment states that all persons born in the US are US citizens.

:clap:

And I'll bet my chainsaw is better than either of theirs.

Not much info out there on Pettibone furnace or rarified air chimney. Couldn't find a date when they switched from wood to coal as fuel.
Either could I, Ray. It's quite possible they were heating the White House with wood for close to 50 years. Steam piping may have been installed about 1830, but even those boilers could have been wood fired for quite some time.

Until steam arrived, one has to wonder how buildings of that size were heated at all. These are things they never talk about in the history books. I do recall a few books mentioning cordwood fireplaces that were large enough to swalow 4' logs. It took two men to drop big the logs into them.

Last edited:
Washington and Jefferson made many a joke. There is some question about Jackson. He may have been born before his parents immigrated to the US, neither being born here or had a parent that was a citizen at the time.

As much as I dislike Obama, I haven't heard any questions about if his mother was a citizen. If she was at the time of his birth, he is a natural born citizen, even if the Hawaiian birth certificate is a fake.

A little story i know a guy works in the house of senate and the floor is false
and is made to take up in small pieces .They used to haul big ice blocks
and put them under the floor for as crude ac when they were all together.
now the chambers have wires and graffiti on the walls.

stop the politics!

Hey, I come to this site for a break from all the politics, not to hear some of you guys argue about who the president elect is and whether he deserves to be president.

No matter what your politics, most of us come here to enjoy a few minutes away from politics and controversy! And I'd say the same thing to you, if we were in the woods cutting fuel together..."cut the crap, I dont want to here it here!"

not only that--but there seem to be more libs infiltrating this forum--wonder why????? to push there agenda on everyone---now back to our regularly scheduled programming--

Tell me that when they take away your woodburner and force a four stroke chainsaw on you.Ignore the wolf in the room at your own peril!

They'll force you to a "Clean Wood" stove, kind of like the "Clean Coal" they're still searhing for...

Four stoke??? Nah, they're going to force you info a solar-power hybrid chainsaw made out of recycled pastic and paper... or an axe.

Freakin' Bolsheviks....

He quipped from the Communist State to the south.

Don't blame me I voted For GHW Bush twice, Bob Dole once, GW Bush twice, and John McCain once! My young daughters are trained as well...everytime Hillary Clinton is on TV they stick out their toungues and yell, "Poopy head...Democrats want to take all our money so we won't have any left for toys" :clap:

What about this???

History Mystery

Have a history teacher explain this----- if they can.

Abraham Lincoln was elected to Congress in 1846.
John F. Kennedy was elected to Congress in 1946.

Abraham Lincoln was elected President in 1860.
John F. Kennedy was elected President in 1960.

Both were particularly concerned with civil rights.
Both wives lost their children while living in the White House.

Both Presidents were shot on a Friday .
Both Presidents were shot in the head

Now it gets really weird.

Lincoln 's secretary was named Kennedy.
Kennedy's Secretary was named Lincoln .

Both were assassinated by Southerners.
Both were succeeded by Southerners named Johnson.

Andrew Johnson, who succeeded Lincoln , was born in 1808.
Lyndon Johnson, who succeeded Kennedy, was born in 1908.

John Wilkes Booth, who assassinated Lincoln , was born in 1839.
Lee Harvey Oswald, who assassinated Kennedy, was born in 1939.

Both assassins were known by their three names.
Both names are composed of fifteen letters.

Now hang on to your seat.

Lincoln was shot at the theater named 'Ford.'
Kennedy was shot in a car called ' Lincoln ' made by 'Ford.'

Lincoln was shot in a theater and his assassin ran and hid in a warehouse.
Kennedy was shot from a warehouse and his assassin ran and hid in a theater.

Booth and Oswald were assassinated before their trials.

And further interesting ...

A week before Lincoln was shot, he was in Monroe , Maryland
A week before Kennedy was shot, he was in Marilyn Monroe.

I'm not certain of the accuracy of this info.
It was emailed to me the other day...

It's true if you believe that Oswald shot kennedy. I changed the last one to be more accurate.:):)

Back