Two Years Later and Still Hissing.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Laird

Laird

Nemo me impune lacessit
I've got about 2 cords of Red Oak I cut and split exactly two years ago. Its been under roof since then. I threw a couple pieces into the OWB last night and it immediately started hissing and spitting at me.
I prefer Hickory.

BHWood

BHWood

ArboristSite Lurker
hissing wood

I have had the same thing happen with red oak. Split it over 2 years ago, covered only during rainy seasons and it still hisses. No spitting but definitely hissing in my insert. It was the larger splits only but come on, 2 years!

Brian

Swamp Yankee

Swamp Yankee

Addicted to ArboristSite
Yeah, read oak can do that. I prefer white oak.

Me too

Red oak's grain structure makes it like a sponge. Matters little how checked the ends are, if any outer surfaces get wet, the moisture will spread throughout the entire piece, almost like being back to square one.

Bringing red oak in a warm, dry place for a couple of days prior to burning seems to help.

Take Care

reaperman

reaperman

ArboristSite Guru
My woods is 85% red oak. I have learned to stack it in single rows, it takes up more space, but the result is good. Also with red oak, if possible when splitting, get rid of the bark. Any moisture seems to get trapped between the bark and the wood and stays wet. If your wood has the bark on it yet, try using a splitting maul to remove it and check for moisture.

Marine5068

Marine5068

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Weird.
All my Red Oak that's seasoned one and a half years is dry,dry, dry.
It burns GREAT!
I store it under a second-floor deck outside out of the weather.
Maybe you have water dripping or really moist air where it being stored?
Also make sure that the stacked rows have enough space between them for good air flow.

Intheswamp

Intheswamp

ArboristSite Member
My woods is 85% red oak. I have learned to stack it in single rows, it takes up more space, but the result is good. Also with red oak, if possible when splitting, get rid of the bark. Any moisture seems to get trapped between the bark and the wood and stays wet. If your wood has the bark on it yet, try using a splitting maul to remove it and check for moisture.

reaperman, stacking in single rows with plenty of space between the rows is what I'm doing, too. This is my first year trying to get ahead and I hate to say it but this was bought wood (good deal, though). Anyhow, this is water oak and knowing that it is slow to season I figured I'd give it all the help that I could. First thing is getting it up off of the ground and broadside to the prevailing winds. Each stack is 12' long and a minimum of 4' high (1/2 cord). There is roughly 5.5' between the rows and the rows that are stacked "end to end" have a gap there of about the same distance. It should give plenty of air movement through the stacks, hopefully.

I'm hoping that some of this will be good for the 11/12 season. If it's not, I've already got about 1/4 cord of dried oak and I've got access to a lot of bug-killed standing pine. My soon to (hopefully) be installed stove is a little F3CB and I'm down in south Alabama so I figure 1 to 1.5 cords will carry me through the winters.

Marine5068, with your cold dry air up there I can easily see how it'd dry out in 1.5 years. I'm hoping my location...full sun and somewhat windy location will help season this oak in a year or so...re-splitting the larger splits and the rounds (small firebox) I hope will help me, too. But, we do have some tough humidity, we'll see....

Ed
FWJan2011-CTurner_20110117_7649Medium.jpg