Two Years Of Improvements In Meteor Cylinder Kits (Brad's Pics)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I editted my last post, and it reflects what I think the differences in opinions here comes from. I would consider these if looking for a cheap way to simply get a saw back up and running. It's for the guy paying $250 for a performance mod, or the builder being paid to deliver said performance, that I don't think they make sense. If I were paying $250 for these mods, I would want the best product possible, not starting with a sub par cylinder. I as the builder, don't want my name on a sub par cylinder. Also, it's going to take a lot more work to make a proper runner out of one of these. I'm can't charge more for all that work, so why would I want to start there, and then hope that it works out?

Last edited:
Randy do they have a 50cc 346 kit?

I have one woods ported 346 left and I could bolt a stock topend on and take a look at it compared to a 346 50cc oem stock for stock to stock testing. I'm not going to touch anything it needs to be a bolt on and pass my inspection.

I use a lot of Meteor pistons. They have improved the clips to the point that I will now use them. All the old style hasn't been sold out yet though and sometimes I still receive the ones with the crappy clips. I saw the clips that came with either Brad's or Wigg's kit were old style and wonder how old that kit was.

I love Meteor pistons. It's because of that, that I expected so much more from these kits. I expected them to be a cut above the competition, just like their pistons.

Randy do they have a 50cc 346 kit?

I have one woods ported 346 left and I could bolt a stock topend on and take a look at it compared to a 346 50cc oem stock for stock to stock testing. I'm not going to touch anything it needs to be a bolt on and pass my inspection.

Yes they do.

I don't sell the kits stock though. For that see Watsonr. :msp_thumbup:

I editted my last post, and it reflects what I think the differences in opinions here comes from. I would consider these if looking for a cheap way to simply get a saw back up and running. It's for the guy paying $250 for a performance mod, or the builder being paid to deliver said performance, that I don't think they make sense. If I were paying $250 for these mods, I would want the best product possible, not starting with a sub par cylinder. I as the builder, don't want my name on a sub par cylinder. Also, it's going to take a lot more work to make a proper runner out of one of these. I'm can't charge more for all that work, so why would I want to start there, and then hope that it works out?

How much more work are they? 10 minutes, 1 hour, 4 hours?

If you are cutting the squish band anyway, I don't see that much more time there. Is there a tremendous difference in the time to port one of these versus a OEM cylinder?

i recommend to my customers buying used oem and will not install an after market cylinder on a customer saw. they have improved a lot since they first come out but im still not ready to use what they are producing at the moment. maybe with the next round of improvements they will get the cylinders on par to the point that the average joe can bolt it on and get near factory performance. i am confident that if any aftermarket company can get there product up to snuff with oem it is meteor.

website dont show a 346 kit, so a call will be in order.

Models on Catalogue
HUSQVARNA

HUSQVARNA 55 Diam. 46 MP Ref. CC1660
HUSQVARNA 61 Diam. 48 MP Ref. CC1417
HUSQVARNA 268 Diam. 50 MP Ref. CC1723
HUSQVARNA 288 Diam. 54 MP Ref. CC1735
HUSQVARNA 340 Diam. 40 MP Ref. CC1730
HUSQVARNA 365 Diam. 48 MP Ref. CC1681
HUSQVARNA 372 Diam. 50 MP Ref. CC1725
HUSQVARNA 395 Diam. 56 MP Ref. CC1815

I'd like to see a poll, but don't seem to be able to add it to my thread. How many guys, paying $250 for a port job, would choose to save $100-$150 on a lesser quality cylinder.

OK, I figured it out and added a poll to my thread.

Last edited:
website dont show a 346 kit, so a call will be in order.

Models on Catalogue
HUSQVARNA

HUSQVARNA 55 Diam. 46 MP Ref. CC1660
HUSQVARNA 61 Diam. 48 MP Ref. CC1417
HUSQVARNA 268 Diam. 50 MP Ref. CC1723
HUSQVARNA 288 Diam. 54 MP Ref. CC1735
HUSQVARNA 340 Diam. 40 MP Ref. CC1730
HUSQVARNA 365 Diam. 48 MP Ref. CC1681
HUSQVARNA 372 Diam. 50 MP Ref. CC1725
HUSQVARNA 395 Diam. 56 MP Ref. CC1815

They may not then K.

I know them well huh? :laugh:

Brad,
I see your point here exactly, for the porting guys that are making money to soup up saws why would you want to start with a sub par part (not saying how much sub par) and have to put more work into massaging it to where you want it or just start with a superior part and have less work to get it to the same level. I think for us guys like JJ and I who fix saws on the cheap for the guys that dont need HP saws just good runners, we're looking for good quality at a good price/ plug and play. Maybe someone can sit down and rate all the p/c kits from best to worst?? but then again who has the time or stock to do such a thing. Even GM,Ford and Chrysler put out inferior products every now and then and their QC is some of the best in the world. That being said I applaud all of you for the passion and diligence put forth to hopefully help make a good product even better....Lee

Brad,
I see your point here exactly, for the porting guys that are making money to soup up saws why would you want to start with a sub par part (not saying how much sub par) and have to put more work into massaging it to where you want it or just start with a superior part and have less work to get it to the same level. I think for us guys like JJ and I who fix saws on the cheap for the guys that dont need HP saws just good runners, we're looking for good quality at a good price/ plug and play. Maybe someone can sit down and rate all the p/c kits from best to worst?? but then again who has the time or stock to do such a thing. Even GM,Ford and Chrysler put out inferior products every now and then and their QC is some of the best in the world. That being said I applaud all of you for the passion and diligence put forth to hopefully help make a good product even better....Lee

Understood. One of the problems I've seen is a lack in consistency in quality with all AM kits. One guy gets a good one, one gets a ring catcher. That makes rating the quality more difficult.

Brad,

The problem is, there seems to really be only one or two factories in china making the castings.....all the different brands appear to coming from the same source. Meteor might plate their own, bailey's sprays theirs with black goo....but they all pretty much look the same.

I want Gillardoni replacement cylinders. Now that would be something worth buying

I'd like to see a poll, but don't seem to be able to add it to my thread. How many guys, paying $250 for a port job, would choose to save $100-$150 on a lesser quality cylinder.

OK, I figured it out and added a poll to my thread.

Time are tough for many Brad. That saved $100-$150 might mean putting off the port job for a few months at least.........if not prohibiting it entirely. Also, the difference in cost is almost enough to allow a third port job/rebuild to be paid for by the 'savings' from two port jobs/rebuilds (when using this Meteor kit instead of OEM).

The flaws you've illustrated in that 'new' cylinder would all be eliminated by the porter/modifier during the course of the porting job. I don't see these cylinders being "lesser quality" in any way other than in those areas. The only person who might be affected by these flaws is the 'bolt on and go' customer. That's not the guy you were talking about in this post however.

Like Terry, I won't do anything other than OEM. I stand behind all my work, even if it is user error. Although, for those who need a cheaper replacement I will install aftermarket, but will not mod and will explain what they are getting. Nothing more than MY own way of doing business.
With that said, I too have had some terrible Mahle kits, mainly the ones one new saws, the kits in a box are normally pretty good.
I have had good luck with the Caber rings, that is a plus.

Brad,

I still don't see where they are more work to port. Could someone please tell me what I'm missing?

There is definetely a need for the aftermarket kits, since I've become involved with a dealership it has been sad to see so many come in with saws that are toasted, primarily straight gassed, a few with with seal issues or intake boots, but they simply cannot afford to come up with the cash to put on new oem jugs and slugs. Times are extremely tough, the old it's cheaper to rebuild a pro saw argument doesn't hold water anymore imho. We sell used (after a detailed inspection) cylinders and pistons for half the price of new, that makes them more affordable, but we're always short on good pro saw used jugs.
We can't install aftermarket in Stihl or Echo without getting in trouble, but we've pointed people who simply have no other economic option in the directon of Meotor.
With most pro saw replacement cylinders/pistons running north of 275.00 and then adding a base gasket for 3-4.00 and a upper rod bearing and them adding labor your looking at 450-475.00 for a shop to repair a saw, it is ecomonically not feasible for most people, they will buy a new 290 for under 400.00 and go on and leave there old saw with us.
Randy, kudo's to you and all the others that work with mfgs to improve their product, getting them to understand that people will even pay 20-25.00 more for better quality is the key, still a heck of alot better option to many than oem wallet wise. Mahle replacements have been top notch out of the box as far as I've seen, but for the money they should.

Randy, when you put the pics side by side, yes, this new one is better. Bottom line, they're still not good enough, IMHO. If others feel they are, then they're welcome to their own decision. As I mentioned in my thread, my rationale may be different from others. If I were looking for a cheap alternative to simply get a saw back in the wood, then maybe. But I'm only building saws for a paying customer interested in max performance in a work saw. I don't find it in the best interest of either myself or my customers to start with a sub par cylinder.

I applaud you for not being willing to sell these kits without mods. That in and of itself makes quite a comment on the quality.

Now the new kit is better, before this no improvement. Heck you took the pics, and they weren't even taken from similar angels. You haven't answered why you have a problem porting one. Aside from a bad bore or plating, or ports cast way out of place, porting should be straight forward. What is bad about the cylinder if it is ported? A novice should be able to make one run pretty good. I still say run it stock or send it to someone that will.

Latest posts

Back