type of red oak?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AaronB

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I haven't seen this before in red oak and wondered if you could tell me what type it is. Plus when wet the wood is really red, not like the red oak I have seen before, and then it has the horizontal strands running through it, they are NOT flecks like quartersawn, they are actually wood fiber.

Just wondering if anyone might know what it is.
Thanks
DSC01737.jpg

DSC01736.jpg

DSC01735.jpg

Looks like most of the standing dead red oak I cut and split.

Yuuup Northern red oak.
The fleck in the deep red wood is a pretty sure sign it's Northern red, bark looks right also.
Great firewood but just shy of white oak for btu.

ditto on the northern red oak. do you have any pieces split/cut in a way that would show it if it was a flat or plain sawn piece? iffen ya really wanna see the rays in that run it across a planer or do a little belt sanding on it.

I agree with the northern red oak. I see this all the time when splitting wood here in New Jersey, mostly in standing dead stuff

Last edited:
I haven't seen this before in red oak and wondered if you could tell me what type it is. Plus when wet the wood is really red, not like the red oak I have seen before, and then it has the horizontal strands running through it, they are NOT flecks like quartersawn, they are actually wood fiber.

Just wondering if anyone might know what it is.
Thanks
DSC01737.jpg

DSC01736.jpg

DSC01735.jpg

Quite common here in CT ;)

I've been told I have both Northern Red and Pin oak in my woods but I can't tell the difference in the wood or the leaves. Pin oaks have descending lower branches whereas Northern red is more upright, but you can only tell this if they grow in the open. I have seen plenty of the wood shown in the pictures, though - it's Rotting oak, Quercus Fungus. Makes decent firewood.

There are several species in each group - red oak and white oak. The smell is similar within each group bit very different between them. I sometimes have difficulty telling if a board is white or red oak by looking at it, but can usually tell by cutting a piece off the end & smelling it.

Back