Tzed250's Husqvarna 550XP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tzed250

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
After putting some more time on my 550XP I thought I would share some observations about my first real Husqvarna.

1. It is interesting to listen to the Autotune while it educates itself. As I run the saw more it is smoothing out, but it occasionally has to find its way.

2. The RPM that the saw will make is amazing. The RevBoost is quite noticeable. If you start a cut before the revs build you never notice it. When the saw is allowed to spool up before the chips are thrown the RevBoost makes it happen. When it comes to limbing I think the 550XP will be the Highlander. There can be only one!

3. The sound! This is one great sounding saw, and I'm sure it will sound even better with a MM!
The 550 reminds me of a well ridden 125cc MX bike. When the 550 is on the RevBoost it sounds much like a pro rider sliding into a deep sand berm, grabbing WOT, and fanning the clutch for an explosive corner exit!

4. The flipside of the rev coin. Low RPM torque seems to be MIA. Now I know that the point of this saw is not to pull a 28" bar in Red Oak. My observation is based on my experience with my 026 and 028Super. The 028 is much more comfortable with a 16" bar buried in hardwood. This is no slam on either the 028 or the 550XP. My 028 has a mild port job and MM, and for a 30+ year old design it will hold its own. My point is a little lighter touch is needed with the 550.

5. The oiler. As far as I can tell the oiler has three settings. Small, medium, and large. I guess for 11", 13", and 15-16" bars. The middle setting was not keeping the bar oiled with the 16" bar, so I it turned it wide open. At the grande setting it oiled the 16 OK. A 20 you say? IDK. I'm of the school that says 50cc-16", 60cc-18", 70cc-20", 90cc-25" and >.

6. Operation vibration. This saw is smooth. Today I ran it with the Husqvarna .325 NK bar spinning Oregon 20LPX. The first tank had the saw wearing Stihl 3/8 RS. The .325 is surely smoother, but the 3/8 wasn't bad. One thing about me is that most vibration doesn't bother me. Heck, I'm the guy that took the standard AV bushings out of my MS660 and installed the hard bushings. None the less, I acknowledge the smoothness of the 550XP, and I like it!

7. PMOI, or "That's what Niko said!!!" Polar moment of inertia, or for the Norwegianicaly inclined among us, the "sideways balance". This saw will move in your hands with the smallest of effort. Husqvarna made the 550 low-profile because the roll-axis is much more important in limbing than the pitch-axis. Bases loaded home run.

8. Fit and finish. With this series of saws I think Husky has made the leap across the gap to Stihlland with the F&F. The details on this unit are well worked out, and the saw is enjoyable to look at, as well as run. The metal handlebar is one feature that I see as a true plus. There are still a couple of gnats in the clearcoat, but overall this is great work by Husqvarna.

9.Fuel consumption, or lack of fuel consumption actually. This jewel sips the petro. I've only run it on Stihl Motomix and the runtime on a tank is impressive. With the new visible fuel level I kept on glancing at the tank looking for a sign that it needed a refill, and all I got was "Keep cuttin', buddy!" With the price of Brontosaurus remains these days I call this magnificent engineering.

10. Command decision. The control center is nice. The saw usually needs high idle for a hot restart and the switch makes actions like this easy. All of the vital elements are laid out well and within easy reach for starts and stops.

Dislikes? A few. The silver paint is worthless. It wears off in the shipping box. Like its older brother, the 346XP, the 550 likes to roll over on its side, I guess so it can rest;). I wish I didn't need a tool to pop the cover clips. The oil pump seems vulnerable. There is no replaceable tank protector like the 562XP has. I would prefer Torx fasteners. Seems like I am picking nits. I am. The saw is that good.

I bought my first saw thirty four years ago this fall. As an excited 14 year old I was thrilled with my new toy.

I feel the same way again.

Damn it John, now I want one...

I believe you would like it!! I think Brad might let you run his when he gets it back..;) As much work as he put into the MS261 it will be interesting to see the path he takes with the 550. I just hope he doesn't make the 550 take a dive so the 346 can still be the champ!

You should get one :msp_wink:

Think I'll hold off because what I REALLY want is either the 241cm or a 543xp. Neither one of which is available here....

I believe you would like it!! I think Brad might let you run his when he gets it back..;) As much work as he put into the MS261 it will be interesting to see the path he takes with the 550. I just hope he doesn't make the 550 take a dive so the 346 can still be the champ!

regardless of how it performs, it'll be tough to take the 346 out of top spot for him.

Think I'll hold off because what I REALLY want is either the 241cm or a 543xp. Neither one of which is available here....

regardless of how it performs, it'll be tough to take the 346 out of top spot for him.

I had heard that the 543 was going to be available in North America. I hope that is correct.

I have no use for 50cc saws. They are 'tweaner';) saws and serve no real purpose in my 20 saw master plan

. .....
(1) 7. PMOI, or "That's what Niko said!!!" Polar moment of inertia, or for the Norwegianicaly inclined among us, the "sideways balance". This saw will move in your hands with the smallest of effort. Husqvarna made the 550 low-profile because the roll-axis is much more important in limbing than the pitch-axis. Bases loaded home run.

(2) Like its older brother, the 346XP, the 550 likes to roll over on its side, I guess so it can rest;). .....

There is a direct connection between those two "features" ....:msp_wink:

There is a direct connection between those two "features" ....:msp_wink:

I really believe that since the 6-point delimbing technique is such an integral part of Scandinavian logging that Husqvarna considers it one of the most important design influences.

BTW Niko, I own more saws with outboard clutches than inboard. I can't believe I just said that...;)

Back