U*f*b*

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elwoodps

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Maryland, north of the Godforsaken Beltway
While perusing the saw ads on a nearby Craigslist, I ran across someone asking $500 for a used MS 311, which seemed awfully high. So just for fun, I went to a local Stihl dealer's webpage to see how much over list price this joker was trying to get. As it turned out, he's only :msp_rolleyes: asking five cents over list. Of course, if you bought one for $499.95 new from a dealer, they'd probably through in a spare chain, some oil and maybe a case to sweeten the deal.....

But I noticed something else while I was there that left me flabbergasted; the price for the new Farm Boss with all the bells & whistles (MS 291 C-BEQ) and a "16 bar, is $779.95 :msp_blink: :dizzy:

At that price, do you suppose anyone's ever bought of those things?

When you can buy a brand new MS 362 with a "16 bar FOR $110 LESS?? :jawdrop:

While perusing the saw ads on a nearby Craigslist, I ran across someone asking $500 for a used MS 311, which seemed awfully high. So just for fun, I went to a local Stihl dealer's webpage to see how much over list price this joker was trying to get. As it turned out, he's only :msp_rolleyes: asking five cents over list. Of course, if you bought one for $499.95 new from a dealer, they'd probably through in a spare chain, some oil and maybe a case to sweeten the deal.....

But I noticed something else while I was there that left me flabbergasted; the price for the new Farm Boss with all the bells & whistles (MS 291 C-BEQ) and a "16 bar, is $779.95 :msp_blink: :dizzy:

At that price, do you suppose anyone's ever bought of those things?

When you can buy a brand new MS 362 with a "16 bar FOR $110 LESS?? :jawdrop:

but... but, but, but... the Farm Boss is the... uh... boss of the farm... It doesn't get better than that... right??? :msp_tongue:

Mike

My local shops don't give anything away but they also don't tack on a shipping charge for little parts if you have a little time to waite. Seeing the price of a new saw always makes me feel a little better about the price of small parts and the time it takes installing them. My warranty is pretty good too, as my own customer I've never been dissapointed. :smile2:

My local shops don't give anything away but they also don't tack on a shipping charge for little parts if you have a little time to waite. Seeing the price of a new saw always makes me feel a little better about the price of small parts and the time it takes installing them. My warranty is pretty good too, as my own customer I've never been dissapointed. :smile2:

A few years ago when I bought my saw they gave me 6 pack of 2cycle oil, gallon of bar oil, hat and the little screw driver. Same thing when I bought my weedeater minus the bar oil. When I bought another saw several months ago, they said they dont do that anymore. Bummer

A 16" MS291 lists for $469.95. I have no idea why the C-BEQ is so high!

Must be some mistake or misprint, they can't be serious about that C-BEQ price!

Yeah, when you compare that to the prices on larger Stihl pro saws, it's really nuts. :crazy1:

Heck, for only $60 more you can buy a new MS 441 and run with the Big (or at least substantially bigger) Dogs. :chainsaw:

One more reason to carefully peruse the used market when looking for saws. Sooooo many great used saws out there for soooooo little money. Takes a little savvy and a little patience. Risk? Youbetcha. Reward? Youbetcha. :rock:

I'm in and out of my local Stihl dealer, as well as a few others in the area, on a weekly basis. No way would I pay those kinds of prices for new saws with all the strong used saws in a variety of markets. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
One more reason to carefully peruse the used market when looking for saws. Sooooo many great used saws out there for soooooo little money. Takes a little savvy and a little patience. Risk? Youbetcha. Reward? Youbetcha. :rock:

I'm in and out of my local Stihl dealer, as well as a few others in the area, on a weekly basis. No way would I pay those kinds of prices for new saws with all the strong used saws in a variety of markets. :rolleyes:

+1 all of my saws have been previously enjoyed! Kinda like a divorced woman! :hmm3grin2orange:

They are serious on the C-BEQ. I don't think they will sell to many at that price. For $50 you can get a MS441 which is a LOT more saw for that kind of money.

I don't think it matters much, as that version should be avoided anyway, for other reasons....:biggrin:

Back