un seasoned

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I cut the small stuff too. Mostly to keep the slash piles small but since I cut for a 94 yr old lady the small stuff helps her start and restart fires in her stove.

Have you tried craigslist for free dry wood? There's usually some, maybe pallets, here.

Growing up, the only wood used for firewood was stuff that couldn't

be used for any thing else. What we didn't saw into lumber, sell for stave bolts and heading, or use for fence posts wound up on the wood pile including limbs. I am still not wasteful about trees but the ax or machete cut any thing smaller than 2 to 3 inches, not the saw! :msp_tongue:

Winter before last I ended up going 5 weeks burning Pallets, 2xwhatever scraps, deadfall branches I'd find on the ride to work and break and throw in my back seat of the car, and that I swore too was the last time i'd ever run out. Hope you get enough to make it to the Thaw.

Fiskars lopping shears for the small stuff. Up to 2" or so. And its fast.
Make the brush pile while you're limbing, then snip that small stuff into "firewood". Small stuff is no fun with a saw but with the loppers heck, ya might even have a beer while you're at it.:givebeer: Also a pain to haul but baling twine works.
It's not deep-heat overnight burn stuff by any means, but its what most people throw away (meaning free if you ask) and it beats a cold stove. I'm getting low myself and burning some twigs on the warmer days. Gotta do what ya gotta do. Good luck and THINK SPRING.:cool2:

If you need some PM me I am in Oak Ridge and have plenty of seasoned wood split and stacked. You are welcome to switch out with some green.

Joshua

Thank you for the kind gesture but its about a 5 hr. round trip from me to you. I am still happy to hear that there are still some good people out there in this crazy world. I wish I had the extra money to buy a little wood but I am seperated from the wife and raising my boy on my own on a small income due to not being able to work anymore because of a disability. What i would do to be a healthy strong man like I used to be. Cant wait to my boy gets old enough to do most of the splitiing and cutting for me. Rep to you for caring.

I've got more fully seasoned wood than I could possibly burn this spring, some of it creeping up on three years seasoned... but the weather has been so horrible the last couple weeks none of it even resembles "dry", and getting to it won't be fun. Still, I'll be bringing a load in on Saturday... at least that's the plan.

Sounds like you need a wood shed. Seasoned wood that is wet is as worthless as green wood. Evidently you're still fightin that epa stove you love so much. :poke: Would the old smoke dragon burn that wet stuff without a fight?

Down to about a cord of 1 year plus over here. Mixing some 4 to 8 month in. Burned way more than we expected this winter and oversold a bit to friends and neighbors.
Going down to about 20 degrees or less here tonight. Where did spring go ?
We have access to many acres of natural fallen trees so finding something to burn fortunately is rarely an issue for us.
Small stuff is a beautiful thing. Love those inch to 2 inch rounds. Seasoned they are great tinder.
Sorry to hear that so many are low or out this season.
Check with Lowes and Depot along with other big box stores. Make a few calls to see who needs to get rid of their stockpiles and don't want to pay to have it removed. We found several places that were more than happy to get off with scraps and skids because in the end they saved the company their budgeted disposal dollars. So sometimes they are glad to get off with scraps,skids/pallet's etc. Also look for new construction sites. We grab kindling from several every year.
Keep those eyes peeled roadside too. My buddy just scored a bobcat trailer load of scraps from the side of the road, 90 % downed oak .
Whatever it takes. Stay warm.

Same here Zogger. Great post and rationale. I have a cord plus of white ash, red and white oak 3" and smaller. A buddy gave me all kind of $hit about cutting and saving it. We have four kids (10,9,8,8), and I send the boys for the bigger splits and the girls for the really mini rounds:clap:. Although the youngest twins carries more of the heavy stuff than the other three combined. I wonder if maybe she has some East German power lifter in her! I put a layer of the thin stuff in every time I load the box. It's a great base that burns quickly and easily.

I have been burning basswood that has a meter reading od 40 + but when I get it going its ok. But what a ##### to get going. This is only my second seasosn so thats why I dont have the huge stock pile as some do but Im working on the 3 to 5 year ahead with dry wood. March ha been a crazy month so far. Come on spring.:msp_smile:

I'm pretty much out of seasoned wood too. Got some odds'n ends left to keep it cozy on weekends, but that's about it. Using the furnace now. I filled both my 500 gallon LP tanks last summer for 84 cents a gallon and only used half a tank so far. That was mostly for hot water. It's been a lousy winter for making wood with all this snow. It's too deep for my 4 wheeler to pull a trailer full of wood. Last year I was able to find a lot of dead white ash that burned good, but the wood I tried this year just doesn't seem as dry. At least I should have plenty for next year. I have a big pile of white ash stacked behind the barn in 15 to 20ft lengths. I just have to get it cut, split, and stacked hopefully by the end of May or so. The white ash was cut green and delivered by a friend of mine who was cleaning out a ditch along a farmers field. I have another 2 or 3 cord of oak mostly split and stacked already that just isn't ready yet.

zogger,

Same here it adds up pretty quick.
And nothing like starting a fire fast with small stuff.
Yep it takes more time to saw up all the small limb stuff but at the end of the day it's much more wood.

If I touch it I burn it. Even with an OWB. I use the small stuff to fill in the gaps between the large pieces.

BTW anybody want to chip in for a new camera for Zog? Everytime I look at his pics I clean my glasses only to find out its not me...:laugh:

I'm down to junk wood myself. Worst part is that I think I'll be about 2 loads short to make it through.:angry:

I was REALLY hoping I was done cutting for this winter!

I have a mix of wood, much seasoned and a lot in various stages. Berween now and later April I'm hoping my remaining stack lasts. I think it will. I hate to use it more than needed, but I do have central heating. You folks must, too. Bite the bullet and turn it on. Good idea on pallets. Lumber yards are definitely our friends.

If I touch it I burn it. Even with an OWB. I use the small stuff to fill in the gaps between the large pieces.

BTW anybody want to chip in for a new camera for Zog? Everytime I look at his pics I clean my glasses only to find out its not me...:laugh:

Ha! Getting a new phone with improved camera soon. My old network is being discontinued by june and I need a new one. Going to get one with my tax check back. Going for my first smart phone this time, shopping carefully...

Ya, I know my pics are blurry, plus no flash...its a really low low low res sort of camera on this cheap feature phone. All I have right now. Next one will have good pics, plus vids I hope!

But wait, theres more!! Another bonus blurry pic! Official spring here, got pear and peach flowers popped out couple days ago...

attachment.php

Zog, you're killin' me man!!

Another poke!! Dark and blurry...its art!!

Mostly small wood for today, for later on...mostly....this is pretty much, at the top, all splitter excess I just scavanged a few minutes ago. Might have a teeny fire tonight and another one just in the morning for an hour or two, not really cold now, just cool and windy.

attachment.php

Love the "artsy" pics. Gonna be in the high teens here tonight and I'm runnin' low.
Can you e-mail or voice-mail me a piece or two to keep me warm?

Same here Zogger. Great post and rationale. I have a cord plus of white ash, red and white oak 3" and smaller. A buddy gave me all kind of $hit about cutting and saving it.

Your buddy can bust your chops all he wants, but you having a cord+ of that small wood proves the point we are making: The little stuff DOES add up and it's worth saving. :cool2:

Latest posts

Back