Unit of 2X4s for wood fuel

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Straightgrain

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
A log truck driver told me last week that banded units of 8 foot duglas fir 2X4s (stud grade) are cheaper than cords of douglas fir firewood.

I seen the low end 2X4s for $1.49 at a home center.

I don't think they burn as well because of the charring effect (when they fit too close together in the stove).

Anyone else heard of this happening?

I always hear a news story of idiots getting sick from buring treated wood.

1.5" x 3.5" x 96" = 504 cubic inches

1,728 cubic inches = 1 cubic foot

221,184 cubic inches = 1 cord

176,947.2 cubic inches = 1 cord w/ 20% airspace

438 2x4's per cord

351 2x4's w/ 20% airspace

$652.62 per cord

$522.99 w/ 20% airspace

I remember seeing somewhere online that even the non pressure treated lumber is dipped into something that may cause rust in woodstoves.

Sorry that's so vague...

Great response to an absurd question!:cheers:

/

I see nothing absurd about this question. I suppose in your great wisdom there is such a thing as a dumb question isn't there?

The price at the local home center maybe $1.49. The price at the mill per unit breaks down to a fair amount less then $1.49 per board. If he is talking about the mill I am thinking of. Right now the economy around here has mill prices way, way down. The local store are making a killing on their mark up. Fir is going for up to $200+ per cord around here for some reason.

A log truck driver isn't talking about in store cost per banded units. They are going to talk about prices at the mill. The more the mill gets rid of the more logs they will need and the more the driver will work. The store will get their wood where ever it's the cheapest, doesn't matter what mill it comes from, or even what state for that matter. The driver is hoping to scratch two backs at the same time. Straightgrain and his own. One gets a deal on studs(firewood) the other hopefully gets more work by way of the studs being sold, and the mill needing more wood.

As far as I know the local mills don't dip them in anything. However some do in different parts of the country dip in a wax type stuff for some reason.

Burning them should not hurt anything. They can get hot and get away from you if your not paying attention or overload your stove. To reduce the char criss cross the in the stove to allow more air and less tight surface contact. When you reload move whats left around a bit and then re stock. We burn untreated lumber from time to time, many around the area burn lumber only and do just fine.

If you get to the mill ask if you can be put on the scrap list. A dump truck load of culls, knots, pistol butts, jug butts, slabs and other things that they cannot use. Depending, that load can run up to about 2 cord. Cost last I knew was $20 per truck load.

Straightgrain, if your looking for a place to cut your own let me know and I can get you to a few people that may be allowing cutting. Depending on how far you are willing to travel. I think Hebo has alder permits going right now, also the BLM guy that runs the area if you know of wood you can get the permits through him. Either are about $10 per cord.

Burn the studs with air space and you will do just fine.

Owl

I didnt think it was quite that absurd myself. The Ashbore Bettle here in NYS is making it a severe problem for people in urban areas to get fire wood since it can cross state lines and has to be within 50 miles of orgin Last time I was home I was quoted $130 per face cord 16" logs, "mixed hardwood" "seasoned" Thats $390 per full cord, and who knows how dry it is? Granted its still not financially advantageous, the economy is turned upside down right now, and who knows whats going to happen the next few years?

Don't bother with 2x4s, cut out the middle man and just buy a load of logs from the truck driver.

Ian

Don't bother with 2x4s, cut out the middle man and just buy a load of logs from the truck driver.

Ian

Great idea.

Don't know why I didn't think of that. That's what we do, when I'm to lazy to go get my own. I can hook you up with a couple names for that as well. Going price seems to be around $950 +/- depending on the driver. Should load you in anywhere between 8 and 12 cord. If you find a driver that will only drop on Sunday that's a good sign to a big load. No scales on Sundays. If you can do any horse trading that can cut down the cost drastically.

Owl

A log truck driver told me last week that banded units of 8 foot duglas fir 2X4s (stud grade) are cheaper than cords of douglas fir firewood.

I seen the low end 2X4s for $1.49 at a home center.

I don't think they burn as well because of the charring effect (when they fit too close together in the stove).

Anyone else heard of this happening?

I always hear a news story of idiots getting sick from buring treated wood.

Central/Northern Idaho people working in the mills would heat houses with the trim ends bacl in the 50s and erlier. Park a PU at the end of the slash chain and load up. No problem with it not burning (BTDT). they would also build houses and sheds from them layed like bricks. Never done that but I would think the cost of nails would be up there.

Harry K

The price at the local home center maybe $1.49. The price at the mill per unit breaks down to a fair amount less then $1.49 per board. If he is talking about the mill I am thinking of. Right now the economy around here has mill prices way, way down. The local store are making a killing on their mark up. Fir is going for up to $200+ per cord around here for some reason.

The store will get their wood where ever it's the cheapest, doesn't matter what mill it comes from, or even what state for that matter. The driver is hoping to scratch two backs at the same time. Straightgrain and his own. One gets a deal on studs(firewood) the other hopefully gets more work by way of the studs being sold, and the mill needing more wood.

When a big box home center (hd/lowes) is selling studs at $1.49, you can almost guarantee it is a loss leader or sales generator for the company. No store is selling studs at $1.49 and 'making a killing'. The distribution and handling costs alone are most likely above the retail price on these. However feel free to prove me wrong, head over to the mill and try to buy one bunk of studs at $1.49 per stud.

Also, any retailer expecting to be in business long, does not buy product based only on price. The main consideration is finding product, that meets your customers expectations, at a price that will allow you to meet your profit expectations. You see HD/lowes can get away with selling garbage $1.49 studs because their customers expectations are lower. The customer expects cheap and available. Where a local Lumber Yard might cater to builders and other pro's. These guys need accurate quotes, free returns, service, fast, and quality. If the local yard tries to go cheap and buys lower priced studs, the pro's are going to get worked up when the junk product gets delivered to the jobsite.

When a big box home center (hd/lowes) is selling studs at $1.49, you can almost guarantee it is a loss leader or sales generator for the company. No store is selling studs at $1.49 and 'making a killing'. The distribution and handling costs alone are most likely above the retail price on these. However feel free to prove me wrong, head over to the mill and try to buy one bunk of studs at $1.49 per stud.

Easy on your almost guarantee there. This is the only "proof" I have right now. If I knew more about computers I would copy the sales slip and post that for you.

A week ago I got a unit of 2X6X12 for $.96 per. I went through the local hardware store and they pass straight through to us when we buy whole units from the mill. I don't know what a unit of 2X4X8 would go for. However I would bet that it would be cheaper than a 2X6X12, wouldn't you?

Right now our local economy passed the toilet and has landed in the septic. Lumber is cheap when you have the mill looking to move standing product and no construction on the horizon.

So you do the math. Substituting a 2x6x12 for a 2x4x8 which we both know is more expensive. $1.49 minus $.96 = $.53. A $.53 strait cost profit per individual board would equal a killing in my book.

To buy a unit from the local box store would indeed be a fools move. However to buy a unit at the mill would not be as bad as everyone would like to believe.

Per your formula above that would come out to be $178.73/cord with no air space. With 20% air space it would come out to be $142.99/cord. Both ways would be cheaper than the going local rate for a cord of fir wood @ $200+ per cord. Not having cost on a 2x4x8 unit I cannot use those numbers though it would be even cheaper yet would it not?

Owl

WOW, $.96 for a 2 x 6 x 12! The hell with burnin them, buy 'em up and start building a house.

That is why we got so many. That's also why so many people are burning lumber this year around us. That was our rate broke down from buying 6 units.

Owl

I think you'd be just fine. When I was a kid, we didn't have the money to buy firewood. And Dad worked so much that he couldn't make any himself either. Because of this scenario, I had to cut up 4-5 oak pallets most days. That was our heat. I would use a skilsaw to cut the pallets into useable pieces. Worked wonderfully. Burn what burns man!

Great idea.

Don't know why I didn't think of that. That's what we do, when I'm to lazy to go get my own. I can hook you up with a couple names for that as well. Going price seems to be around $950 +/- depending on the driver. Should load you in anywhere between 8 and 12 cord. If you find a driver that will only drop on Sunday that's a good sign to a big load. No scales on Sundays. If you can do any horse trading that can cut down the cost drastically.

Owl

I'm not a wood heat guy so if you could explain to me how this works. $950, plus how much time and effort to process all of that wood? Wouldn't it be cheaper to heat with fossil fuel and spend all of that extra time on the couch watching football? I'm not seeing where there is huge savings in heating with wood. What am I missing?

If you buy wood, it naturally cuts into the savings... the key is to go gather and process your own for free.

Ian

6 Acres of oak out back and over 200 plus ash trees dead in front yard. Only get propane here saved over $1500-$2000 per year burning wood. Used to use over 1000 gallons of propane per year now no propane tank installed wanted $60 tank rental. Told them come and take it. Installed 100# tank for stove and dryer. I'll take that money and run. Lol

Latest posts

Back