Untouched hardwoods

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sweet pic's Jerry. Gotta love the natural out doors.
I have just under 100 acres in Maine and it has never
been cut that i know of. My dad bought it in the early
sixties. It was all trees then and still is with lots of
big wood.

Lee

Nice pics! Does the stream run all year round? Are there any native fish in the stream? Looks like a great place for solitude.
:cheers:

Yes the stream does run year round, it will get a skim of ice where the current runs slowly during the winter but never freezes solid. There is speckled brook trout living in abundance in this stream. Three lbs. would be about the max size with 14"-16" being the average. Only outside source of sound I ever heard here was an airplane once.
Pioneerguy600

Hey Jerry-

Great pictures! That looks like a pristine example of the northeastern hardwoods forest cover type.

Thanks Jacob;
According to all the info passed down from my great grandfather through all his desendants there has never been anything on this land other than an ox or horse hauling out one or two logs for the last 130 years. I can remember thousands of acres of this province looking this way before clearcuts started here in the mid 60`s.
Pioneerguy600

Jerry, what you have is rare enough, I'd fight to keep it that way.

On my Grandad's ranch, there were two places you didn't cut, even going into those places was discouraged. One was a knoll covered with giant Live Oaks, the other was a creek drainage.

Nice piece of Nova Scotia, Jerry. I think everyone should have somewhere like that to go, there would be a lot less trouble in the world.
Been hearing rumors for years of a patch of supposedly virgin old growth timber in the eastern end of PEI. Owned by a very secretive farm family that don't want the location to get out, and I don't blame them. Love to go see it before I die though. If the rumors are true, there are some very,very large sticks there.

:cheers:

Thanks Chris, it sure is quiet in this woods and I wish everyone could experience a place like this. There is not another human`s footprint here, no garbage or other sign of another human activity either. There was one solitary moose hoof print in the sand of the stream bank, otherwise it was unmarked.
Ihave travelled and worked your province fairly extensively over the years, there still is some pristine sections of land there, not easy to access but there just the same. I have been known to hike 20 miles a day cross country and have most likely seen a few places on your Island that not many others have. I can only hope there is still some old growth left standing there.

Pioneerguy600

Sweet pic's Jerry. Gotta love the natural out doors.
I have just under 100 acres in Maine and it has never
been cut that i know of. My dad bought it in the early
sixties. It was all trees then and still is with lots of
big wood.

Lee

I can only hope it stays that way for many years to come Lee, I have witnessed this Province loose so much of it`s woodlands to clearcutting in my lifetime, clearcuts have always sickened me to the core. I was raised on selective cutting and still believe it is the only sustainable way to harvest the forest, it is not a garden!!
Pioneerguy600

I can only hope it stays that way for many years to come Lee, I have witnessed this Province loose so much of it`s woodlands to clearcutting in my lifetime, clearcuts have always sickened me to the core. I was raised on selective cutting and still believe it is the only sustainable way to harvest the forest, it is not a garden!!
Pioneerguy600

Jerry, As long as i'm alive this piece of land
that my dad gave me will stay the way it is.
Many memories from when i was a kid till now.
I agree that clear cutting is a shame and the
only way is to selective cut. But i don't like the
way all this modern equipment tares up the land.

Lee

Jerry, what you have is rare enough, I'd fight to keep it that way.

On my Grandad's ranch, there were two places you didn't cut, even going into those places was discouraged. One was a knoll covered with giant Live Oaks, the other was a creek drainage.

I hear you Randy, my grandad would roll over in his grave if he knew what happened to his land after his death, he never allowed a engine powered or wheeled vehicle upon the land, only draft animals and sleighs during the winter time over snow, very little damage done to the land doing selective cuts.
Pioneerguy600

Last edited:

Lee

:clap:
A man with a saw (if he knows what he’s doing) and a tractor/small skidder can get in, take what is abundant and disappear with minimal impact.

The mechanized "selective harvest" of today is not much better than the old clear-cut ways they claim to better. :(

Doesn't do much good to leave trees when the tops are all broken out and limbs broken off from top to bottom.

I commend you Jerry.... a lot of folks these days can't see past the money that blinds them. :cheers:

Lee

You echo my sentiments strongly and have my full support on saving that piece of land from commercial harvest, modern machinery scars the land and it takes far too long for it to heal, its a short term money grab only.
Pioneerguy600

Back