Untreated Rail Road Ties..Cutting and Burning?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

asg13

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
ANyone ever full with them? i have access to some..they are blemished and never treated?

No specific experience with them, but I would think if they were untreated they'd make good firewood. One thing's for sure, they'll stack well. ;o)

Did you get a good deal on them? How many to a bundle? I don't know what you're burning them in, but you should be able to buck them up pretty quickly.

workin on price come in 3000lb bundle of 30..100lb a piece...I will be using an outdoor forced air..my buddy has a central OWB...They are green however...

cant have it all

They will burn great in the OWB. I have a buddy who'se burned the same stuff in his central boiler for years.

Do you know what kind wood they're made from, I've heard maple but the ones I've seen look more like a fir.

railroad ties

ANyone ever full with them? i have access to some..they are blemished and never treated?

You might want to hold off on burning them
as they may have been treated with clear
preservative prior to their being used as
cross rail ties.

I would contact a local testing lab to see if
they could simply do a test to determine
if a preservative was used.

The last thing you need is foryour boiler to make
chemical fumes from incineration that would
cause a lot of lung damage and posssibly kill someone
accidently.

:help::msp_thumbdn:

You might want to hold off on burning them
as they may have been treated with clear
preservative prior to their being used as
cross rail ties.

I would contact a local testing lab to see if
they could simply do a test to determine
if a preservative was used.

The last thing you need is foryour boiler to make
chemical fumes from incineration that would
cause a lot of lung damage and posssibly kill someone
accidently.

:help::msp_thumbdn:

I know where they are coming from..they are raw...

Around here we use them any time we can get them (they go fast at the local sawmills). THey stack great, and with no bark, they are clean for bringing into the house. Let em dry and all they are is a square chunk of firewood. :msp_thumbsup:

If you get old RR ties at a reasonable price they make great boundaries for driveways or gardens. I need to add gravel to my driveway and intend to start by laying out used RR ties to hold the gravel.

any body know if any on gives a way untreated tail road ties and wood fall offs in lebanon,pa

Latest posts

Back