Unusual antique two stroke

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beavis331

Wiggle wiggle wiggle
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
Found some old issues of gas engine magazine from the early 80's. Found this guy trying to figure out info on an old 2 stroke inboard boat motor with a valve in the piston. To bad he didn't have a pic of the complete engine.

Attachments

• IMG_20171221_113036941.jpg
    5.9 MB · Views: 94
  • IMG_20171221_113116700.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 74
Found some old issues of gas engine magazine from the early 80's. Found this guy trying to figure out info on an old 2 stroke inboard boat motor with a valve in the piston. To bad he didn't have a pic of the complete engine.
thats pretty cool, did they mention if it was a diesel or gas 2 stroke? older two stroke marine diesels are pretty strange critters sometimes.

I believe it to run on gasoline because they mention it having a timer and igniter. As for reliability? Who knows. I am sure it was not a high speed or high compression engine so it maybe chugged along just fine. Although I am sure it was expensive to manufacture.

That's pretty interesting. I just read in the last issue of "Diesel World" that a company is coming up with a "variable compression" connecting rod. It uses oil-driven pistons to rotate the small end of the rod/wrist pin boss effectively moving the piston up and down in the bore.

Supposedly when you're just cruising and don't need the power, compression will be lowered.

Did the article state 2 stroke? The design looks very similar to a crank we made years ago for a small natural gas line pumper. The engine would bleed off enough natural gas to sustain itself while propelling the remainder down a line. Low rpm.

Did the article state 2 stroke? The design looks very similar to a crank we made years ago for a small natural gas line pumper. The engine would bleed off enough natural gas to sustain itself while propelling the remainder down a line. Low rpm.

Yes it said 2 stroke. The charge enters the crankcase and is forced into the cylinder on the down stroke. I thought it was interesting that the engine was governed off the crank as well.

The only remotely similarly things I've seen are the portless engines periodically trotted out by backwoods inventors as the next hot thing. But those are far more complicated.

I'll show this thread to an acquaintance of mine who works for a major maritime engine manufacturer. I do not guarantee anything as he's younger than me and it usually takes him weeks to answer to an email. Damn kids and their fancy social media.

This article was from 1981 and it was an antique engine then. Most of the engines talked about in this magazine are pre 1930. There couldn't have been very many made considering the manufacturing processes available at the time. I just thought it was an interesting concept for a 2 stroke. Would be interesting to see a pic of a complete engine.

Latest posts

Back