update 670 info

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milkie62

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Am I correct in thinking that a 272 jug is smaller than a 272xp ? Found a 268/272 jug,piston and ring for $85. Could not find a 670.Will this fit with no carb mods ? I see that 272xp is 52mm vs 50mm for 268/272.Did find a 272xp for almost $300 plus I would have to change carb.It seems like I should go with 268/272 kit to keep cost down.Just starting to tear saw apart tonite.I know piston is toast not sure on jug though.Who would mod my saw for me if I clean it up real good ?

I believe that the 272 is a 272....xp is just decals and marketing...maybe tuned for higher RPM

You said "I see that 272xp is 52mm vs 50mm for 268/272"....and the 670 is 50mm...so if you are thinking about doing the 268/272 modification... you should just stick to the 670.

Rumor tells me that husky is now selling an open-port 70cc engine, as a "fit-them all" for those saws - not good news if you have a 670 Super/Champ, 268xp, or 272xp (and may even be wrong), not to bad if you have a lesser version to start with.....

There never was a 272, that wasn't xp - too new.

Last edited:
670 Jonsered

There has never been a 272 Husqvarna that wasnt 52mm. The jug you see advertised as a 268/272 is a 268 50mm jug. It will bolt up and work fine. Sense there is not a aftermarket 52mm jug for the 272, they consider it a replacement for the 272 also. If you want the 272, you have to pay the big bucks for new old stock or buy used. They come up for sale on ebay from time to time. The intake and carb setup will also be needed if you use a 272 or 268. There are also used 670 jugs and pistons in the ebay stores from time to time. It would be cheapest and easiest to find a good used 670 jug and buy a new piston and ring. Good luck Rick!!

update 670

So you are saying that even with the aftermarket 268/272 jug I will need the carb and boot or will it just bolt up to my carb ?

Rumor tells me that husky is now selling an open-port 70cc engine, as a "fit-them all" for those saws - not good news if you have a 670 Super/Champ, 268xp, or 272xp (and may even be wrong), not to bad if you have a lesser version to start with.....

There never was a 272, that wasn't xp - too new.

Along with the 272XP they also made a 272XPG.

Along with the 272XP they also made a 272XPG.

Sure enough, but that wasn't the point - handle heating is an old option.....:)

Btw, the 272xp has just been re-introdused in South America, but it is detuned to lower power output vs the original one, and replaces the open-port 268 in the line-up.
I guess that the 372xp will be made there (Brazil) for a long time as well, after they quit making it in Sweden.

Last edited:
670 Jonsered

Yes you will need a carb and intake setup if you buy the husqvarna 268 or 272 jug. The 670 Jonsered has a impulse line that runs from the jug the the carb. The husky does'nt. Have you tried to clean up the scoring in the cylinder that was on the saw. 9 out of 10 time they will clean up fine and you can get by with just a piston and ring change. My self, I would only consider the husky jug change only if I could find a 272 jug and carb setup. the 268 is not any better than what come on you saw. If your going to stay with a 50mm jug find a good used one on ebay and buy a new piston. Then the rest of your parts will work without buying anything else. Do a search on ebay for 670 jonsered. Besure to check the ebay stores section. There was a used jug for sale last time I checked. thanks Rick!

Thanks that was the answer I needed.The husky/jonsered dealer said the saw was getting tired.Was having a hard time idling.He said seals and carb worn.Well I was checking spark one day since it would not start and i need to move coil to about .006 clearance to get a good even spark.The saw ran great after that and idled good to.Clearance was at factory spec prior.Well I was happy that my saw was running excellent again.I did have a little scoring from a couple of years ago though.Well I was cutting some 16-18" elm and everything was great.Then the saw revved up and coasted to a stop.I was running it at full bore.Filter was clean and tank still was half full.Exact 50:1 ratio with husky oil.Could tell something was wrong when I pulled cord.Got it home and checked compression and it was only 60 psi.So I guess i will just take it apart and hope the cylinder can be cleaned up.I know piston and ring are toast ,just cannot see how jug looks .Thanks for all the replies.Hope to eventually be a motor head.Can't believe what these things are capable of.Just hate to dirty up my new 372.But I will get the ol' Johnny running and modded.

Sounds like you had an air leak somewhere....possible seal failure in some component.

Latest posts

Back