Update on DYI or hire a pro...with damage report

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMTM

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
After deciding not to "do myself in":)

Called a local tree service that had a listing in the local free paper.
$180 and 15 minutes later
DSC_0320.jpg

DSC_0322.jpg

Only damage was a broken single pane window, still a lot less than my $1000 deductible if things had gone wrong
DSC_0321.jpg

A smart guy

Would have leaned a sheet of plywood up against before he dropped the dead tree. That is a double pane glass.should not be over 50 bucks for a new glass pack

not to say I told you so, but

The biggest concern to me is the height and distance to garage. I am confident enough it could be laid between the garage and swings. Cant get an accurate height of the tree from a picture but it looks like you could risk the upper branches doing some damage even if laid down correctly.

I know he said it was 70 foot but it looks to be over that to me. Peak of the house being 30- 35 at least, I would put the tree at 80 -90 maybe more. Of course that just from the perspective view from the pic. Which could be misleading.

But that window was a small price to pay. Good choice on having someone drop it.

Hrmmm...I'm seeing the logs laid down for the tree to land on. And I'm thinking that would be real handy in the woods too, would make it nice and easy to buck the tree up :)

At the risk of being the devil's advocate, I have to ask the question, "Why plant a tree so close to the house and then let it get that big before dropping it?

I believe the window could also have been saved (and your nerves) by topping off most of the high branches prior to the drop. That would have meant climbing, but good professional climbers are out there.

At the risk of being the devil's advocate, I have to ask the question, "Why plant a tree so close to the house and then let it get that big before dropping it?

I believe the window could also have been saved (and your nerves) by topping off most of the high branches prior to the drop. That would have meant climbing, but good professional climbers are out there.

window was cheaper then paying someone to top it.

Well, a broken window is better than a squashed pool pump, damaged shop or God forbid, damage to your house. First thing we would have done is covered the windows with 8x4 plywood. I will not take any chances with windows anymore since I had to pay $30 to grind a stump in a condo complex. Took out a sliding glass door with a rock and after I paid to replace the glass I ended up paying around $30 to grind that stump. TG I made up for it 100 fold on the overall contract. Still, I won't take chances with windows anymore. I keep plywood on hand for just those circumstances.

Glad to see it worked out relatively well for you. Glad you updated us. Too many on here post circumstances then never post back with results. Got to rep you for that.

Last edited:
well, now that it's down, you want me to come down and haul it out of there for you?

i'll even do it for free. :greenchainsaw:

Tree is 35+ year old, the pool was only put in four year ago. I took out over 30 tree's to clear the area for the deck, pool & shop and left the tree in question because I liked the shade and it fit in nicely with the landscape. I was sad to see it go...

Tree is 35+ year old, the pool was only put in four year ago. I took out over 30 tree's to clear the area for the deck, pool & shop and left the tree in question because I liked the shade and it fit in nicely with the landscape. I was sad to see it go...

Yep and run me over $750:confused:

Last edited:

Yep and run me over $750:confused:
But, what happens if the tree falls further toward the building and takes out half of it, in addition to the window?

Climbers who top trees close to buildings are usually worth their weight in gold. Around here, a climber would have done that for about $300.

But, what happens if the tree falls further toward the building and takes out half of it, in addition to the window?

Climbers who top trees close to buildings are usually worth their weight in gold. Around here, a climber would have done that for about $300.

That is why I got a copy of of his insurance policy before he started.

Back