Update on the mystery orange wood thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wackydeejay

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I thought I'd post a new thread so that the new post didn't get lost in the mix with all the stuff in the original thread about identifying my mystery orange wood:

http://www.arboristsite.com/firewood-heating-wood-burning-equipment/169099.htm

After a couple of good sunny days I went out and checked on the pieces of this I split last week. I cut up just a little more of it I found mixed in a few logs I had remaining also. So, here is a pic of a fresh cut piece beside a piece that had been sitting outside split for a few days.

179154d1302215204-imag0605-jpg

The wood turned light brown very quickly. Here's a pic of an unsplit log:

178664d1301877258-imag0597-jpg

In the previous thread we began to come to the conclusion that this may be Eastern Hophornbeam, aka Ironwood. Based upon the photo, what does everyone think now? Thanks again for your help!

View attachment 179154

Last edited:
I had suggested hedge even though the bark wasn't right. It doesn't fade like that. I am unfamiliar with the Hophornbeam so it could be.

I had suggested hedge even though the bark wasn't right. It doesn't fade like that. I am unfamiliar with the Hophornbeam so it could be.

I appreciate your input, Labman. I don't know much about either species, so that's why I am asking! :laugh:

Ostrya virginiana AKA Ironwood, AKA Hop Hornbean seems to me to be a good guess. Fits the descriptions in my texts. Good job to Hedgerow (I think) in throwing out this suggestion on the other thread. Check out the twigs for a better ID than the bark and wood grain/color. Twigs: Red-brown or dark brown, slender, flexible, hairy near the end. Buds red-brown, small egg shaped, pointed, hairy; leaf scars half-round. (from Stephens, Trees, Shrubs, and Woody vines.)

I cut a bunch of trees that the county piled up for me a couple of years ago that looked just like that, and I was told it was a locust. Mine had a green tint to the pulp wood just under the bark and got orange in the heart wood like yours does. I remember it split really easy, and burned really well. Forgive me if this suggestion was posted in the other thread lol.

Kyle

Ostrya virginiana AKA Ironwood, AKA Hop Hornbean seems to me to be a good guess. Fits the descriptions in my texts. Good job to Hedgerow (I think) in throwing out this suggestion on the other thread. Check out the twigs for a better ID than the bark and wood grain/color. Twigs: Red-brown or dark brown, slender, flexible, hairy near the end. Buds red-brown, small egg shaped, pointed, hairy; leaf scars half-round. (from Stephens, Trees, Shrubs, and Woody vines.)

Yep, it was Hedgerow who said he thought it was ironwood. You are both probably right. I was hoping the new picture of the color change would confirm that. I've never cut any of it before. If that's what it is, I sure would like to get my hands on more of it! :D

I cut a bunch of trees that the county piled up for me a couple of years ago that looked just like that, and I was told it was a locust. Mine had a green tint to the pulp wood just under the bark and got orange in the heart wood like yours does. I remember it split really easy, and burned really well. Forgive me if this suggestion was posted in the other thread lol.

Kyle

We have lots of black locust growing here, Kyle. It has a yellowish color to it inside. The bark is much thicker and darker, though. Locust gets us through the coldest days and nights here. ;)

I cut down a big Mulberry a couple years ago that made that exact same color change.

We too have a lot of mulberry here. "Morus Rubra". It is a yellow to orange wood, but the bark in the photo is all wrong.

Hey Hedge, what do you think about the split after it got some air? Does that confirm your original thought? Does it change your mind any?

Thanks, bud.

Hey Hedge, what do you think about the split after it got some air? Does that confirm your original thought? Does it change your mind any?

Thanks, bud.

The split confirms absolutely, that it hopefully is not necessarily rhubarb... Moustache is a hoot, ain't he?:msp_wink:

Shew. I was hoping it wasn't rhubarb. Don't think it's very high in BTUs. :D

Nope, but it's good in pie!!! To me, the wood grain of the dry piece is similar to sassafras, but it's not a heavy wood. and the bark didn't look right. If that stuff get's real light in a couple months, it's not Hop Hornbeam, but if it holds it's weight I'll stick with my guess...

Nope, but it's good in pie!!! To me, the wood grain of the dry piece is similar to sassafras, but it's not a heavy wood. and the bark didn't look right. If that stuff get's real light in a couple months, it's not Hop Hornbeam, but if it holds it's weight I'll stick with my guess...

Yeah at this point I guess we'll just have to wait and see how much water weight it loses. It's no big deal either way. I plan on burning it when it's ready. It's just a curiosity as to what it is. If it is good stuff, I'll be on the lookout for more!

We too have a lot of mulberry here. "Morus Rubra". It is a yellow to orange wood, but the bark in the photo is all wrong.
I googled up some pics of mulberry bark and the texture seems to vary quite a bit. Check out the Paper Mulberry and Red Mulberry.

Google

hornbeam, and hophornbeam, are not that red at least in my part of the country. I'm guessing mulberry but have not seen this species at all here in NW lower Mich.

Back