urban forester????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

budroe69moni

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
hey guys,
is anyone an urban forester out there????
anyone have any info on the job description????
what are the qualifcations to become one????
any links to urban forsetry web pages or sites????
should citys have an urban forester in place????
any opinions on this subject would be greatly
appreciated!!!!!
thanks in advance,
budroe:cool:

I've heard of urban forester and city forester used by municipalities, often for the top position in the forestry division. Some are arborists, some are RPF's (Registered Professional Forester). I think 'urban forester' is more a job title than a designation. Unfortunately, I do not have a copy of any job descriptions.

My understanding is arboriculture is looking at an individual tree, while forestry is dealing with a collection of trees.

Urban forestry refers to trees in the City environment. Municipalities are now looking at managing/protecting all the trees, instead of each tree individually. This is how tree protection by-laws are developed. Studies have been undertaken to determine how much crown cover a city needs to be considered healthy and sustainable (ie 25%).

The University of Guelph (Canada) has home study courses and certificates, and one course does deal with urban forestry.

To become an RPF you must have a university degree, and meet other criteria to qualify. There is also an annual cost to maintain your designation. Some jobs may require this designation.

From http://www.cnr.umn.edu/FR/extension/urbanforestry/whatisurbanforestry.htm - University of Minnesota Extension Service

What is Urban Forestry?

The urban forest includes all of the natural resources in an urban area - plants, soil, water, animals - and is often referred to as the "green infrastructure" of a community. Any residential, commercial or institutional community that has public services - streets, curbs, utilities - is considered an urban area, in contrast to a rural area.

Urban forestry is the management of urban forests in a manner that maximizes the benefits of the natural resources to people without compromising the health and condition of those resources.

There may be many personal benefits associated with urban forests but the most universal include property values, quality of life, recreation, soil/water/air quality, energy conservation, and societal benefits.

Community forestry refers more specifically to the societal benefits of urban forests; community pride, the social aspects of community planting and care projects, reduction of violent crimes and a sense of safety.

Urban and Community forestry includes two main avenues of management: Urban Forest Health (e.g., best planting practices, disease and insect pest management, tree preservation) and the Societal Benefits (e.g., natural resources education, urban forest design, recreational opportunities).
Budroe, you might already consider yourself an urban forester! Anyone who works with trees in an urban environment or a residence or some similar circumstance can think of themselves as an urban forester.

A city forester is a position offered on the municipal level for qualified individuals to care for the city's or village's trees. The tasks often include flower planting and irrigation as well. Mowing typically falls under the Parks & Rec. Dept.

I'm an urban forester, and my major is Urban Forestry. I hope to graduate in May 2004 and use the degree in my career as an arborist and tree care professional. Classmates of mine who dream of walking out the door with the degree in hand and receiving a full-time job as a city forester in at a major city have pipe dreams. The reality is that most municipalities want the degree and experience. Nevertheless, I would argue that the major of city foresters are underqualified. A degree and 5 years of experience is easy to get. Knowledge is not.

Some links:
www.nufu.org.uk
www.urbanforestrysouth.org
hort.ifas.ufl.edu/woody/pruning/introduction.htm <--you should get in touch with Dr. Ed Gilman, a great guy from all that I've heard
www.urban-forestry.com <--a professional affiliate of the ISA
www.treelink.org
www.cnr.umn.edu/FR/extension/urbanforestry/urbanandcommunityforestrypage.htm
www.americanforests.org
www.fufc.org <--Florida Urban Forestry Council
www.fl-dof.com
edis.ifas.ufl.edu/MENU_FR:Urban

I hope you were able to find something useful. :D

Cities should absolutely have an urban forester or at least a tree board. In fact, this is required to become a Tree City under the National Arbor Day Foundation (requirements: http://www.arborday.org/programs/treeCityUSA.html). I think it's a good idea, but it's only the first step in actually caring for the trees in your community.

Nickrosis

Uban forestry is like arboriculture. Some real geniuses and many morons. At least arbos tend to have nads and physical prowess.

I think Urban Forestry gets drug down by the fact that many of the positions are municipal/govt. Those people are not paid to perform, rather to just show up and attemp to play the game. All the pay, 1/2 the work. They are asleep at the wheel here in Austin. Joke of an organization. Other cities are really progressive - that gives me hope.

I interviewed for the city forester position here in Austin and about 1 minute into the interview, I knew I did not want the job. The lead forester is a real dead head and I did not care to join that crowd. He had the attitude of "why should we let you join this team?" and I had the attitude of, "Why should I join this team?"

UF is a noble calling, just pick a place where you can make a difference and the community wants a difference.

I know of at leat 1 city that Titles their staff guy"City Arborist". Unfortunately he doesn't follow industry standards too well. Some might suggest that his title begin with 'sh' in lieu of 'c' and add a 't'.:rolleyes:

Our "City Arborist" is in the Watershed Dept and not in the Forestry Dept here. All he does is grant permits for removals and make sure construction projects are to specs.

There can be a lot of politics involved when heading up a municipal operation. Often the politicians try to run the show, and totally disregard by-law, policies and common sense. Instead of serving the public good, forestry operations sometimes serve the good of certain individuals.

I know a lot of people at the municipal level, and most of them are very dedicated to preserving and maintaining the urban forest, and committed to providing the best service they can to the taxpayers.

My understanding is the arborist looks at the trees individualy, or at the most small stands. The urban forester looks at the tree comunity and cannot concider every individual tree.

Back