Urban Logging

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lumberinspector

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Greetings to everyone here on the forum. I have been a member for quite some time...just in-active!

Just curious to get your thoughts etc. on this idea. How do you feel about it? Is it a pain for you to deal with one log etc. etc. etc. Are you buying the log from the customer?

"Urban Logging"? Are you refering to felling and removing one or two trees in city limits? If so, yes it's a real pain for me because the wood is usually full of metal and the mills don't want it. I consider wood removed from urban logging sweat equity and worthless. Let the hired hands have it for firewood.

Yes, that is what I am talking about.

I have bought many urban logs from local tree service companies and have sold them to a very large mill.(This mill produces 7mmbf of lumber a year and is probably on the brink of pushing 12mmbf with equipment upgrades.) There isn't as much metal in them as one would think. I scan all the logs and remember pulling one nail out of a Walnut log. You can work the deals many different ways and usually everyone is happy in the end. You can get just as nice of lumber from a urban log as you can from the timber. Usually local portable mill owners will take them too.

If you are interested in logs in your area, contact PTS on this board. He is from Manchester and could probably get you some good logs.

lol

PTS is a very good friend of mine. I plan on getting all his logs this year.

Redbull

You must be one of the guys he climbed with not to long ago. I told him he is going to have to teach me this year!!

Lumber Inspector me as modest as he is, is a highly educated lumber inspector and grader for the large mill that he speaks of. I have had the privilage of working with him since the day I started our company.

Not only is he a good grader/inspector but he is a very knowledgeable lumber sawer. Got any questions involving lumber he it the man to ask.

Anyone in the area. Lumber Inspector buys all my urban logs and gives me a very fair price. I have another buyer that doesn't grade out the logs and gives me a straight price. 26 cents for hardwoods 24 for soft and 21 for pine. At least with Lumber Inspector I get out of the logs what they are worth.

I also have the privilage of having him go on site to look at standing trees to give me there value pending they are not hollow. I can pass this onto the customer. He tells me he will give me $150. I give my customers $100 and get $50 for saving them money and they still save $100 on what they were going to pay anyway. I sit on the logs until I get a Semi Load which is several times a season. When I have my load I send them off and collect my check.

It is a great relationship. So if you are in the area jump on it and if you aren't try to find this kind of set up.youtube.com youtube.com

Latest posts

Back