USDA Treeclimber ALB

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian8

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
The U.S. Dept. of Agriculture needs 2 more climbers to inspect trees for Asian Longhorned Beetles. All applications must be recieved by July 10, 2006. The pay starts at $17.30 per hour. You get "hazard pay" for the whole day if you climb a tree 50 ft or higher. That works out to about $21.62 per hour. I've been doing this for about 2.5 months, so if you have any questions just ask. I don't have to listen to chainsaws and chippers all day.
The office is in Rahway, NJ. The link below is for the USAJobs site where you can apply for the job. If there are any questions at all, feel free to call Kevin Freeman at 646-335-6566.

http://jobsearch.usajobs.opm.gov/getjob.asp?JobID=44135732&AVSDM=2006%2D06%2D17+12%3A40%3A05&Logo=0&q=tree+climber&FedEmp=N&sort=rv&vw=d&brd=3876&ss=0&FedPub=Y&SUBMIT1.x=0&SUBMIT1.y=0

Last edited:
They distributed this job announcement out at Virginia Tech. That sounds like an awesome job, and a great cause too (ALB is nasty!!) I'd apply if I had more than a few hours experience and didn't already have something going.. Hope you find some people!

Taylor

Yeah, I'm happy to give the spikes a vacation. I did so many removals at my last job, I could have glued them to my boots.
This job is definitely great practice for competition and experimenting with different climbing techniques. Lots of throwline and footlockin' action. When inspecting, we have to move quickly around the whole tree to check the branches down to 2" diameter. My average is probably about a dozen trees a day, depending on size. My best day was 24 trees.

That sounds like one of the funnest jobs I've heard of in a while for the pay they're offering. How long will it last? Indefinitely?

We've found many infested trees recently and I'm sure the program here could go on for at least 4 more years. I just bought a house a mile from the office, so I'm expecting this to last a while.

Latest posts

Back