Use locktite when needed.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thomas72

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I was using one of my McCulloch sp125s to buck some 36" oak when all of a sudden it just stopped. Not the kind of stop where it loses spark or out of gas, but instant stop. I heard it and said hmmm. So I grabbed the starter handle and the engine would not turn over. I then proceeded to pull saw down on the tail gate. I removed the fan housing with the thought of a bolt backing out from the bearing carrier into the flywheel. When I pulled the flywheel off I found my assumption to be correct and what a mess. One of the bolts backed out, sheared off, and wrecked havoc on everything. I took the time last Saturday to replace the main bearing, seals, and bearing carrier. I thought I put locktite on the bolts when I put it together a year ago, but apparently I didn't. I am going to take the time and make sure the rest of my McCulloch saws have locktite too.

Firm believer here for using Loctite. Use blue on just about everything, unless red is called for. Clean the bolts, clean out the holes, and use some Loctite... just adds some good insurance. Thanks for sharing the experience. Always good to get a reminder of what can happen.

Dan

what other uses is locktite good for ?

Need I say more?

This pic is from a friend who works for loctite here in CT.

5740_1145576212758_1628125353_360597_8106747_n.jpg

Need I say more?

This pic is from a friend who works for loctite here in CT.

5740_1145576212758_1628125353_360597_8106747_n.jpg

Here Here to Loctite and that Picture, Great Promo
Had 2 bolts come loose on a connecting rod Honda G300 engine . Messy. Had the crank machined, installed a new rod and RED LOCTITE. Runs great.
:chainsawguy:

yep I locktite everything, some of the guys at work get a little hot under the collar about it but I'd rather work a little harder to get it apart next time than have it come apart on its own. Back when I was rebuilding hyd cyls every week I used to go through a 250ml bottle of red locktite every other week, the last thing you want is one of the piston retaining nuts on the end of a big excavator rod coming loose.

Back