Used motot oil in OWB

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nope. Very legal, waste oil furnaces are made by several different companies.
IIRC, the epa says that the waste oil burnt must be generated on site or brought by a do-it-yourselfer. This was done to try to eliminate unlicsenced/uninsured people/companies hauling waste oil.

Ed

In Kansas the oil furnace must also be specifically designed for burning waste oil. It isnt supposed to be burned in just anything.

I have heard of plenty of people letting it slowly drip into their fire to give extended burn times or more heat. Drip heaters leave a mess behind that makes you wonder if it is worth the trouble to clean up and properly dispose of the waste.

I built a waste oil burner a while back. It was very hard to regulate the air for a clean burn. To much air and the oil cooled enough the fire went out. Not quite enough air and the stack sooted up quickly. It made good heat but not being able to keep it burning correctly I set it aside for another day or purpose.

I guess im confused on why you need the oil. If your throwing in a big chunk of wood into a boiler thats already running im sure it will burn the stump without adding any oil. Once i get a nice bed of coals in the bottom of my heatmor it burns any wet, dry ,rotton wood i throw in. Skip the oil and take it to a recycle center.

In Kansas the oil furnace must also be specifically designed for burning waste oil. It isnt supposed to be burned in just anything.

I have heard of plenty of people letting it slowly drip into their fire to give extended burn times or more heat. Drip heaters leave a mess behind that makes you wonder if it is worth the trouble to clean up and properly dispose of the waste.

I built a waste oil burner a while back. It was very hard to regulate the air for a clean burn. To much air and the oil cooled enough the fire went out. Not quite enough air and the stack sooted up quickly. It made good heat but not being able to keep it burning correctly I set it aside for another day or purpose.

I've been using a Clean Burn waste oil furnace to heat my shop for going on 12 years now. I upgraded to a newer model about 6 years ago. If you have an available oil supply they are the way to go, it will also burn home heating oil if necessary. I clean it once a year. For the most part they are maintaince free, once in a while it will plug a nozzle, but thats a 5 minute fix.
If you drive by when it's running there is no visible smoke that comes out of the chimney. Over time the vent stack has blackend but thats all.

http://www.cleanburn.com/index.htm

Ed

I've been using a Clean Burn waste oil furnace to heat my shop for going on 12 years now. I upgraded to a newer model about 6 years ago. If you have an available oil supply they are the way to go, it will also burn home heating oil if necessary. I clean it once a year. For the most part they are maintaince free, once in a while it will plug a nozzle, but thats a 5 minute fix.
If you drive by when it's running there is no visible smoke that comes out of the chimney. Over time the vent stack has blackend but thats all.

http://www.cleanburn.com/index.htm

Ed

nice, but there's a difference between a system designed for burning waste oil and one designed for burning wood.

the OP wants to soak a log in oil to be able to burn it. the fumes from that will easily escape and are not "treated" as in your system.

i could never figure out why people would want to burn anything other than real wood in their OWBs...especially at a time when many states/towns or counties are cracking down on them.

The Clean Burn system has no catalyst, no treatments, nothing, it just burns the oil extremely efficiently. I have a Clean Burn CB-2500 in my shop, the thing runs great, and heats out 10,000sq-ft shop without issue (although ceiling fans help keep the heat off the 14ft ceiling). I even have a separate tank rigged up to it with a ball valve that will let me run on WVO (WVO and WMO do some weird things then they start mixing, so its best to keep them in separate tanks. We burn ATF, WMO, WVO, #2 - #5 heating oils, and Hydraulic oil in the system, and the only time we get a complaint is when we burn old fryer grease... The Perry's Ice Cream Plant behind us has a few guys that keep yelling at us that they get hungry when we burn it, the exhaust smells like french fries and beer battered fish, or occasionally roasted peanuts. They are obviously just joking around, but they can't even tell when we are burning motor oil or anything besides the fryer oil, its that clean. We've had it installed for a few years now, and our exhaust pipe is just barely starting to get a tint to it.

Without a doubt, I wouldn't burn the stuff in an OWB. First of all, our oil is all filtered before its burned so heavy metals and what not don't end up in the exhaust, and second, we don't burn the sludge. We have to drain off all of that once every 2 years or so, and that goes to Noco Oil company, for whatever they do with it.

Don't give the wood burning guys a bad wrap, just use paper to start the fire, and don't soak your wood with anything but elbow grease!

nice, but there's a difference between a system designed for burning waste oil and one designed for burning wood.

the OP wants to soak a log in oil to be able to burn it. the fumes from that will easily escape and are not "treated" as in your system.

i could never figure out why people would want to burn anything other than real wood in their OWBs...especially at a time when many states/towns or counties are cracking down on them.

We have strayed from the op's original question.............but he hasn't been back to comment............

I agree, each system has it's own fuel and should be used/treated accordingly for everyones benefit!

Ed

Back