Used MS361

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bighank

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Theres a Stihl dealer in my area that has a used MS 361 he is willing to sell for $325. He said an older gentleman owned the saw and is trading down to something smaller. I have not personally seen the saw but he says it is in great condition. Knowing the price of a new one, how good a deal is this, and what warning signs should I look for when I go see this saw. Sounds to me like a great deal and just what I'm looking for but I want to get all of your expert opinions. Thanks

Theres a Stihl dealer in my area that has a used MS 361 he is willing to sell for $325. He said an older gentleman owned the saw and is trading down to something smaller. I have not personally seen the saw but he says it is in great condition. Knowing the price of a new one, how good a deal is this, and what warning signs should I look for when I go see this saw. Sounds to me like a great deal and just what I'm looking for but I want to get all of your expert opinions. Thanks

That sounds really good for a low hour saw. If I were you though, I would go physically inspect the saw, and have him pull compression while you're standing there. It would also be good to have him check to see if it's tuned correctly (which he may have done anyway), and run it in some wood if he has some out back.

Thanks...Do you have any idea what the compression should be so he doesnt "pull my leg." Also I know I can buy a new MS290 for about the same price as this used 361, would you all be considering used when a new one (albeit, not quite as good) is around the same price.

The 361 is to this site as truffles are to a French sous chef. If it starts and has good compression (expect at least 160 psi on a low hr saw) then buy it.

Go for the 361 averyone in here says it cures cancer and it is a very good saw too :cheers:

I appreciate it everyone...the more yall keep "twisting my arm," the closer I am to going and getting it...after inspecting it of course, anything else I should be aware of.

Anything over 150 PSI would be fine. I'd much rather have a clean used 361 than a new 290!

givehimbeer.gif

361 uses no fuel cures cancer and the exhaust smells like a fresh spring day.
rumor has it if you warm the mix in the morning for it .It will go cut and split
by itself:givebeer: Oh wait i have one

I appreciate it everyone...the more yall keep "twisting my arm," the closer I am to going and getting it...after inspecting it of course, anything else I should be aware of.

If it has the original bar... Look at the paint wear. It will be very telltale of the amount of use. Also look at the chain, if it's dull as all get-out, you can assume the old guy ran it that way--which is hard on a saw. Why is it hard on a saw? A dull chain overworks the saw by keeping it in the highest rpm range. It's like standing there with the saw at WOT (wide open throttle), and holding it there for an extended period of time. Heck, that's not good on any engine.

Look for signs of misuse, like cracks or dents. If it's in the kind of condition the dealer is saying it's in... I'd pick it up today.

If it's as nice as claimed, I would probably trade you a new 290 for it. Ask the guy for a 30-90 day warranty that covers anything except being run on bad gas and run away, cause you just stole it.

I've been reading the site for a while, but this is my first post and I'm glad I did! yall been very helpful, as soon as I get my hands on the thing i will post my findings and let you know if its sitting on the coffee table in my living room.

Ok, since you're rilly new here I'm gonna assume that you might be new to buying used chainsaws and give you a couple tips that we might be skipping over. I would tend to believe that all Stihl dealers are stand-up individuals, but that might not always be the case.

To tell how much a saw has been used, you look the entire thing over for paint wear.

If the bar is burnt or wear out, it's been used a little. If the wear pattern is fairly even then it's just been used. Bad spots or burn marks are not so good. A "brand new bar and chain!!!!!" is not really a selling point. As an avid chainsaw buyer, I have oodles of bars and chains laying around and even if I wanted to buy a brand new one I'd like to shop around and pick the exact one I want.

If the paint on the bottom is wore out, that means that it's been bounced around in the back of a truck. That's not always so bad, because I could drive around with a saw in my pickup for a year and only use it once. The ones you are looking out for are the ones that also have bad cracking somewhere or a chunk missing or have been bounced around in the back of a tree service truck for a year and used by half-drunk laborers who don't have a clue.

If the paint on the starter cover is wore out, that's a bad sign. If the cover grid is full of muck, that ain't good either. If it's got a little sawdust, that's normal. If it's immaculate, you need to figure out why. Is it a brand new cover, a brand new saw, or did an unscrupulous logging company blow it out with an air hose and some Windex before they dumped it? You should be able to read the model number on the starter cover on a 361. I think the felling sights come painted black on that side and they should probably have some paint left too.

If the paint on the front of the powerhead is wore out, that's no good. I means someone has bashed it off a bunch of logs. If it is worn, check and make sure the dog mounting points and the muffler and the oil tank and its filler neck are all still intact. One of the 361s I bought this year had a busted dog mount that I haven't yet fixed to my satisfaction.

If the paint is wore out on the clutch cover, that means the thing has cut a fair number of stumps or bashed against something in the back of a truck. A 361 really shouldn't be a stumper, so watch yourself.

By now, you should have noticed whether any of the handles are cracked or any of the controls broke or missing. If anything has been intentionally removed or modified, someone has either used this saw in a professional manner or done a half-assed fix on it. If they were making money with the thing, why sell it? If it was busted, was it busted so badly that it wasn't worth fixing right?

I think I covered most of it. If not, just get a compression check and flee the crime scene before forensics shows up.

... If the paint is wore out on the clutch cover, that means the thing has cut a fair number of stumps or bashed against something in the back of a truck. A 361 really shouldn't be a stumper, so watch yourself.

Mine occationally is, but no scars from it so far.......

....I don't push it into the dirt.....

Very good question, but let us hope that it is a good saw when I check it out so that I may bring it home with me. Serial Killer I owe you one for the "killer" advice, I owe you one. And maybe its just the whole "new guy' still in me but pretty cool to attract the opinions of the Saw Troll on my first thread...love it. PS I dont want to get off topic but is it common courtesy to thank people after there posts or is gratuity assumed?

Latest posts

Back