Using a Husqvarna bar on a stihl chainsaw.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bedford T

the1chainsawguy
Reaction score
Hii wound up with the wrong bar. It's a large Husqvarna 20-in hardnose and I was going to put it on a ms440 and use some carbide chain and cut some stumps.

So rather than return it I wanted to find out if there was an adapter. I looked on Google and found scores of using a stihl bar on a Husqvarna saw and not a blooming one that would help me. Anyone know of any adapters or options? I think, I haven't put them side by side but what I did see, I believe it's a smaller bar hole than the bar studs on the stihl saw so I guess that would demand that I drill it versus using an adapter.

I like to hear your story if you've been there. I bet that bars tough to drill. And then I'd have to worry about the oil hole.

Thank you

I had a machinist enlarge the slot on several. Most took 1 link shorter chain afterwards.
Read here many years ago, u can also grind or file the top and bottom of the shoulder of your Stihls bar stud flat, to the thread diameter of the stud, and then it will fit the Husqvarna bar slot . If you want to go back to a Stihl bar using the same studs, you can schim the studs where as the unfiled portion of the shoulder is on top and bottom.
Never had issues with the oil holes not matching.

Thanks fellas.

I heard from the folks I bought it from. They had an ad that said the Do25 mount would fit my ms440 .375 saw. When I went back I got the wrong webpage that said the same bar specs was for a husky, i told them i did not buy a husky bar. i said fix it or i will charge back and suddenly they show me the ad i had seen 1st time and said i had the right bar. wow same bar advertised separately. same specs. i have yet been unable to put the two together, that will be magic. i will and will come back here with photos and we can marvel at the outcome lol

Well I haven't heard that before that wasn't mentioned and I didn't read anything like that when I was researching what people were telling me not but anyway that's that's good news no that's great news.

D025 should absolutely fit on your 440, D025 is the 3003 Stihl midsize mount, which your saw should use.
Now if they gave you a D009, you most definitely do not have the right bar, and the slot will need widened.
Absolutely it will not because of The hips on the studs. The hips on the newer bar studs require the hips on very big saw/bar. On each I have. Took me about 10 seconds to notice before I put bar on the studs.

Thanks anyway

Attachments

• IMG_20211216_141759.jpg
    IMG_20211216_141759.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20211216_141823.jpg
    IMG_20211216_141823.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 23
The slot in a D025/3003 bar is 12mm or thereabouts, and fits over the step in the studs. What you have there is not a D025 bar.

This is a 3003/D025 mount. Fits 024-066

d5e913cd63e180c11bee95a8e2c099a7.jpg

Husky large(D009:)

95eb7104c0d8079d926112df7d647a5a.jpg

And together:

7e6942506af37ceb1cc851e5355c908f.jpg

It is also not wise to put a Stihl 025 bar on a Husqvarna or Makita even if it does fit. The bar's oiler holes do not line up. So, you will smoke and smoke and burn. I have seen this happen several times. I warn, but nobody listens.
I have used several Husqvarna mount bars on Stihls with no oiling issues, why wouldn't it work the other way?

I have used several Husqvarna mount bars on Stihls with no oiling issues, why wouldn't it work the other way?
It might, but I can asure you that a Stihl 025 bar will not work on a Makita for sure. The Makita cannot oil any chain on that bar. The bar's oiler holes are not positioned correctly.

Where did a Makita and a 025 come in? I bought the bar only seeing the specs. I never saw a brand. I got a third covid back second dose not a booster and it kicked my butt and while I was in bed I did the ordering so I don't know if I didn't move the screen far enough or I wasn't patient enough but I ordered the correct specs know I got the point I got the link correct I got I got the specs correct but when I got it right there on the receipt said Husqvarna and it went downhill from there but they refunded my money they wouldn't take the bar back so they must not have much in it but I got I didn't think I would ever use it again I was going to cut the stumps up and hang it up and that's where I figured it would stay so you know the brand and actually didn't matter to me if it would if it would work long enough to cut those stumps up and I was going to use a big enough saw I was going to put it on 440 so you know I wouldn't burn 025 up. I like my saws a lot and cutting the stump up is not something that I really wanted to do but they need to go. Thanks everybody.

Sorry to hear about that COVID shot, Bedford. That's a real bummer. Last spring LOML got an overdose on the first COVID shot and she was miserable for two weeks. Her reaction was three times worse than mine, likely because I outweigh her by 70 lb.

Take care and good luck with this bar fitting. I mentioned the 025 only because I have never found a saw brand on my collection other than the Stihl that would accept that bar. It's a bit of an oddity. I have fit several other Stihl bars on other brands by using adapters that I make in my shop.

i had trouble finding one the correct brand so i took it to a machine shop and told him to make it a hair over 12mm. the bar stud measured 11.8mm. so i should hear soon i told him it was hard steel. i said harder than most steel. just to warn him. i though he was going to turn me away but he did not.

This bar is now a stihl bar. I took it to a local shop and the local owner almost did not want to do it. I was prepared for that. i dropped by to pick it up and he said the bill was 130$. i busted out laughing that really pissed him off. i expected 75$. he must have been desperate. it was done nicely. i hated not thanking him. as a longtime business owner i would have called after getting to the work portion and seeing the value of the item to the cost of repair. i just gotta accept america is different now.

Sorry to learn about the bill you were presented with. I haven't been presented with the problem of having to use a Husky ( or any bar using the smaller slot) on a Stihl, but if I am presented with this problem, I intend to narrow the bolts on the Stihl to accept the Husky bar. All the saws and bars I modify, are for my own use, so there is no problem of someone getting a bar that is unusable for them because I have modified it.
Before fitting a bar to a saw it was not designed for, I always look to see if the oil hole matches the port on the saw. If it doesn't match, I cut a channel to make certain the oil is channeled to get to the chain. I have never had a problem of a chain, on one of my modified bars, not getting adequate oil.
Regarding the Covid shots, I have had four shots, and the last time I went in for my shot, the person administering the shots, stated to me that I had three of the shots from Astro Zenica, and getting the Moderna would enhance my level of protection. I took her advice, and the reaction to shot put me down for a week. It was brutal. When I called them and told them what happened, I got the answer was, that I was just one of the few unfortunates that had issues. I am inclined to believe that she was peeing in my boots, and attempting to tell me it was raining, because a month later, my wife had the same reaction.

Sorry to learn about the bill you were presented with. I haven't been presented with the problem of having to use a Husky ( or any bar using the smaller slot) on a Stihl, but if I am presented with this problem, I intend to narrow the bolts on the Stihl to accept the Husky bar. All the saws and bars I modify, are for my own use, so there is no problem of someone getting a bar that is unusable for them because I have modified it.
Before fitting a bar to a saw it was not designed for, I always look to see if the oil hole matches the port on the saw. If it doesn't match, I cut a channel to make certain the oil is channeled to get to the chain. I have never had a problem of a chain, on one of my modified bars, not getting adequate oil.
Regarding the Covid shots, I have had four shots, and the last time I went in for my shot, the person administering the shots, stated to me that I had three of the shots from Astro Zenica, and getting the Moderna would enhance my level of protection. I took her advice, and the reaction to shot put me down for a week. It was brutal. When I called them and told them what happened, I got the answer was, that I was just one of the few unfortunates that had issues. I am inclined to believe that she was peeing in my boots, and attempting to tell me it was raining, because a month later, my wife had the same reaction.
The bar sure took a beating. Cutting stumps is super hard on the whole outfit. Oiler worked well but it really smoked. I used several saws during the project mostly based on how the saw layed on the ground/wood. The purple 038 did most of it. The clutches would overheat. The bar is so ugly now. :) I don't think a lite bar would have made it

I have cut a fair number of stumps in my life, and have some understanding what you went through. I actually used a sacrificial bar with a roller tip, and a used chain that was meant to used to destruction.
It didn't matter how careful I was to remove dirt and embedded rocks, I always hit one or more rocks on every stump. I just kept sharpening and cutting until the job was done.
I have a friend over in Japan that was in the business of buying and selling large trees. He used a special bar and carbide tooth chain, and went through both bars and chains like candy through a kid. The cost wasn't important to him, because he was moving and selling 40 ft and larger trees for incredible amounts of money.
That was where I first saw Shindaiwa saws, and began to respect what a good, reliable saw they are.

Back