Using gasoline to help kindle a fire

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not a problem as long as the damper is open and the gas is spread around a bit and you use only about 1/2 an ounce or less, letting it soak in a bit before lighting. Not really a good Boy Scout method, but who's a purist around here? Lol
Used crankcase oil is better and safer.
You lazy or something? get out there and cut some kindling! lol
John

=======

That's funny, cause I call mix, Boy Scout juice when used for campfire starter.
NEVER in my wood stove, use a comerical fire stsrting gel when I only start 1/2 dozen or so fires a year.. Keep it burning once started...

Someone here suggested using a map gas torch and it is the TICKET. 30-60 seconds and your fire is going, as long as you are actually using good kindling and know how to build your kindling pile.

In the same style of the veggie oil, one thing that really works good to start other kindling is a used microwave popcorn bag, due to all the oil left on the inside of the bag.

They also make great fuses for yellowjacket molotov cocktails.....

Coffee Cup Lids

I use the plastic lids from McDonalds coffee cups. I gather up mine and 3 or 4more each morning while I am there. I have 3 or 4 Walmart bagfulls of them on hand. It takes about 2 to 4 of them under or between the dry logs to get them going quick.

Nosmo

Yet Another

Kindling should really be kindling- almost "match-light", like fine splits of pine or wood-slivers that are by-product of splitting wood.

For really quick lighting of that kindling, a (used) tea bag, dried out then dipped in kerosene is very quick, safe and effective.

=======

That's funny, cause I call mix, Boy Scout juice when used for campfire starter.
NEVER in my wood stove, use a comerical fire stsrting gel when I only start 1/2 dozen or so fires a year.. Keep it burning once started...

Lol. one thing more volatile than gas is a bone dry Christmas tree. My cleaning wench once ordered me to get rid of a dry Xmas tree before she vacuumed the residual needles, so I got my lopping shears and pruned it up enough to stuff it into the wood stove and lit it. I was stupid enough to open the door a few seconds later and burned off my eye lashes and cinged my beard. Lol
The cleaning wench laughed her skinny lil arse off!
John

I've been known to play with some gasoline OUTSIDE, but never in the house. I had some left over Tiki torch fluid that is a real nice outdoor fire starter.

My indoor process is simple. A piece or two of newspaper, a little cardboard, then some dry bark or kindling on top... Easy and 1000X safer than any flammable fluid.

"The flash point of a volatile liquid is the lowest temperature at which it can vaporize to form an ignitable mixture in air."

Flash point of Gasoline is -45ºF (note the below zero); Diesel is 125º+

Few of us will ever be in a situation we can make diesel (or kerosene) explode, and few of us will ever be somewhere that gasoline won't.

Vegetable oil is up over 600º which is why it's even safer.

Me too. gets things going 'tut suite' (sic).

+2 I have a little butane torch with spark ignition from harbor freight. Refill it with the butane canisters. Works great. Without good seasoned wood and kindling though you still may need a little help. I can't imagine you don't have dry kindling. Oh yeah top down method doesn't work at all if your wood is not seasoned properly. Your kindling will just burn out without really catching the bigger logs. Whats your MC%?

kindling?

Gasoline sucks for this, burns off too fast, and the explosive characteristics already mentioned. I have tried it before....

Used motor is much better, and Kerosene, diesel, lamp oil, etc excellent.
If a little more zip is wanted, I suggest Paint thinner. Lights easy but wont burn your eyebrows off.

I have also used:
Propane
acetylene and Oxygen
cardboard
Used motor oil
wd-40
carburetor cleaner
burnable trash of all sorts
etc...

A pile of unseasoned brush outside, well sometimes. I also like thin polyethylene. Inside, I often start with the little dead branches Ipick up out of the yard along with a little newspaper.

I use a mix of used motor oil and old gasoline - the gas that has been sitting in the can too long. I figure that's better than dumping it in the truck. I haven't really thought much about what the ideal ratio is, but it's probably somewhere near 50/50.

Cooking grease is about as close to anything liquid I'll use as an accellerant.

Couple pages of newspaper twisted up, a couple handfulls of dry spaghetti dia. twigs on top, and then a few chunks from under the splitter usually gets things going real well and without risking the eyebrows.

Gasoline Vapors seek the lowest point and pool up in still air.
You might get ignition where you want it, but the Vapors will also whoof on you, and easily could be the end of your favorite recliner or house.

Keep the Petrol and Diesel outside and get a mini Butane/Propane torch if ya need a crutch.;)

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I take my old soup or tuna cans, roll up a little cardboard in them and put 3 oz or so of bacon or burger grease in them. Put them near the stove so the grease stays liquid long enough to wick into the cardboard. The neighborhood smells nice and I clean the label off the can for the recyclers. Sometimes I use the same can 4 or 5 times too.

There are also liposuction clinics that will give you their unwanted waste from outpatient procedures. It's usually free, but doesn't make the neighborhood smell too good.

:deadhorse:

I just light my kindling with a propane torch

Me, too. If your kindling is smoking or catching poorly, it could be the draft and a torch can help. I have two stoves, one with an awesome draft where a top down fire can start with a kitchen match on top, and another with an indifferent draft where it's fine once going but starting out if I screw up it just pumps out smoke. With the fire laid, I shoot the torch up the flue for a little bit to get the draft going. Then I light the very top of the fire with the edge of the torch flame, keeping the blast from the torch aimed up the flue. Once the top catches, I keep the propane assist going until it's clear that the fire has enough energy to keep the draft going. Sounds like a lot of propane, but I don't burn that stove everyday, and a bottle lasts all winter.

Jack

This year I bought both 1 small and one large metal trash can. I raked all the best sawdust and bark from the area I maul split and filled the cans up. It's been fantastic. One match starts with minimal junk mail/cardboard needed.

Latest posts

Back