Using Green Lumber?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StihlBoy440

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
A friend of mine is wanting to build a swing set for his kids, he is cutting up some red oak to build the frame out of. The question is does he need to let it air dry before building or can he put it up right after its sawed since its going to be outside anyways?

In general if wood is used outside, any species, does it need to be air dried?

most times, you use pressure treated wood for outside so it last as long as possible.

The problem with fresh cut wood is its gonna shrink as it drys. I would imagine it would be slower because it is left outside, but its gonna dry and shrink, and crack.

I'd be concerned that red oak doesn't last outside without a LOT of maintance.

SR

Years ago, I made my kids a playhouse-swing set out of green oak 6 X 6 s

They were set on concrete pads and warped, cracked, and gained a lot of "character". My kids loved it, neighbor kids loved it, and so do the grandkids. I don't think it will make it to the Greats, tho.

Addressing the question of green lumber for a swing set, it depends on how you build it. The joints will come loose as the wood shrinks, and may warp and crack some, depending on how the wood is cut. If a little character is all right, then go for it. I'd recommend that your friend bolt the frame together so that he can tighten it up as the wood shrinks. White oak would be more durable, but the red oak will be ok for a long time.

White oak would be a better choice outside. It will still shrink outside, probably need to tighten up the screws or bolts occasionally.

Latest posts

Back