using my milled wood -- board and batten siding

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtngun

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Here's some of my CSM'd douglas fir being put to use.

The slabs were edged with a worm-drive circular saw, but otherwise left rough. They are random width -- whatever width I was able to get out of a particular slab. One coat of Walmart's honey brown penetrating oil. A few screws in the middle of the board, no screws on the edges of the board, so the board should be free to expand and contract. Eventually battens will cover the edges.

The black stains are mold. Some of the boards were stacked in the drying tent while they were still wet. No big deal, it'll all look the same after a few years.

This project is being done in my so-called spare time, so it'll drag on for several weeks. In addition to the siding, the entire house will be trimmed with CSM'd lumber, inside and out. Just gotta find time to do it.
siding.jpg

Last edited:
sweet looks real good!! I like the look of board and batten the CSM marks are hard to see did you have and washboard marks that really stick out or does it all blend once you put it all together?? I was thinking of doing the same thing for a chicken coop for my wife thought that would look neat sorta rustic. How thick are your boards?? Great job:clap:

I was thinking of doing the same thing for a chicken coop for my wife thought that would look neat sorta rustic. How thick are your boards?? Great job:clap:

Thats funny you say that, thats what my intentions were for a chicken coop for the wife, but I bought lumber yard wood instead:confused:

The saw marks are barely visible. Full comp ripping chain leaves a darned smooth cut. In any event, this is part of a rustic cabin, so a few saw marks here and there are appropriate.

I'll rip the battens from my CSM'd slabs, too. I just haven't got that far yet. Need to get some trim pieces up before installing the battens, because the battens will butt against the trim.

Boards are nominally 1" thick, some more, some less. These particular boards were milled about a month ago, and are only about half dry, according to the moisture meter in the seat of my pants. I do have some well dried boards from last year, but naturally, they are near the bottom of the pile. :mad: Seriously, I'm saving the well dried boards for indoor applications.

Considering douglas is not the world's prettiest wood, and doesn't always react well to stain, I like the way it turned out. It looks good to my eye.

I'll post more pics as work progresses.

Looks good Mtn-keep up the good work. I've got a growing lumber package of beams and 1X's for a porch cover I'm building. I'll be up milling again this weekend. Soon as I have enough lumber I'll build it, and there's plenty of milllin' time left this year to get it done I figure. Thanks for posting :cheers:

I like it!! If it werent for the maintenance I would love to have my house covered in board and batten siding, sort of my alternative to the log cabin that my wife has always wanted.:cheers:

If it werent for the maintenance I would love to have my house covered in board and batten siding, sort of my alternative to the log cabin that my wife has always wanted.:cheers:

Dunno if you have seen it, but some people are running rough sawn boards horizontally, leaving an inch gap between boards, and then "chinking" the gap. From a distance, it looks like a log cabin. Updated: here is a pic of a neighbor's house with the horizontal faux log siding. I think it looks handsome, and this is something that could easily be done with your milled wood.

Boards, posts, and beams were all cut from diseased douglas fir from the back yard. A portable bandsaw was hired to saw the logs. All wood was left rough and received a single coat of penetrating stain.

BTW, both entrance doors were also made from doug fir. The homeowner is a custom woodworker who specializes in rustic doors made from douglas fir.
hamm_siding1.jpg

Close up. Random widths. After staining, log cabin type chinking was applied. Only downside is that chinking is very spendy and not necessary since it is only for appearances -- you might consider less expensive alternatives.
hamm_siding2.jpg

If you don't mind the rustic look, doug fir board and batten doesn't require much maintenance. Here's a cabin and outbuildings that have been around at least since the 30's. I imagine the boards were sawed on site with a portable saw mill, using local trees. I'm not sure if the boards are ponderosa or douglas -- ponderosa is more prevalent at this particular ranch, but the ranchers prefer to use douglas as much as possible, since it lasts longer. The siding hasn't been stained in recent history, and I dunno if it has ever had any stain at all, but judging by the dark brown appearance, I'm guessing it received a coat of stockholm tar when it was built.

By the way, the present owner moved into the cabin as a newlywed bride back in the 30's. No electricity, no phone, no TV, but they do have gravity flow water from a spring. Wood cookstove. She stills lives here in the summer. Neat lady.
marge_picnic_2008-1.jpg

Last edited:
Nice work!

I used the CSM to cut some DF slabs, but have been cutting boards with the bandmill. I showed the slabs to a friend, and he thought they were cut with the bandmill. He couldn't believe a CSM could cut that smoothly.

Most of the DF I've cut has been left with the guy who owns the logs. I took some 2x6s and 5/4 boards for a project of my own. Our new house has 8' wide covered porch all the way around. On the east end, I'm building 4'x8' "steps" to stack firewood and such. The wood in the ground is treated, but the remainder is all DF.

The logs that I've milled were cut and stacked about 18 months ago. Some has milled(BSM) OK, but some has been a real :taped:. It has all been stacked and stickered, and despite being straight when cut, some still warped considerably. For a "softwood" it sure is dense.

BTW, I was using 20P coated sinker nails from Lowes. They go in treated lumber like butter. In dry DF at least 1/8 bend and have to be pulled.:angry: I bought nails from another local source(made in Korea) and had no more problems.

The logs that I've milled were cut and stacked about 18 months ago. Some has milled(BSM) OK, but some has been a real :taped:. It has all been stacked and stickered, and despite being straight when cut, some still warped considerably. For a "softwood" it sure is dense.

BTW, I was using 20P coated sinker nails from Lowes. They go in treated lumber like butter. In dry DF at least 1/8 bend and have to be pulled.:angry:

Most of my 1" boards will cup a little as they dry, which you have to expect with flatsawn lumber, but rarely do they twist or warp. On the other hand, it's been my experience that economy grade storebought DF will twist more often than not if exposed to sun or moisture.

As I mentioned, my neighbor makes custom doors out of douglas fir, but he uses a top grade of quartersawn DF from a local specialty mill, not the cheap stuff that stud mills crank out. He claims he has few problems with DF warping.

The Rocky Mountain variety of DF grows slowly because of the dry climate. It typically takes 100 years to reach 18" - 20". I'm not sure how that compares to the DF you have in Pennsylvania, or how that effects the grain and stability.

Yes, DF is pretty hard when it dries. Besides being difficult to nail, it also splits easily when it is dry (I've been drilling the screw holes for my board and batten siding, to avoid splitting). That's good if you are splitting firewood, not good when you are nailing a board.

It is far easier to frame with DF when it is green. I've done a little interior framing with semi-green DF and have been pleased with the results -- it was much easier to nail, there were no splits, and none of it has warped. You do have to allow for shrinkage, of course.

However, I'd think twice about exterior framing with green DF, unless you could get it closed in real quick. Sun and rain would likely result in warping.

Last edited:
I sure like the looks of that dark stained horizontal siding with the chinking, I'm going to have to keep note of that one for future use.

mtngun, looking great, like the cat door.

Finished siding on the rear gable end. Nothing fancy, but perhaps some day my grandchildren will brag about how about how grandpa made those boards with his bare hands (and a Stihl chainsaw). Plus, this wood was salvaged from local blown down trees that would have otherwise rotted. It doesn't get much more environmentally friendly than that.
rear_gable_siding.jpg

Red Oak for siding ? Man, I would die to have oak or walnut to mill for furniture and cabinets. But, I guess you use what is available in your area. Oak siding looks nice.

Back