Using Premium Gasoline.....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CTwoodnutt

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hi Group,
I've been searching and searching, and I know that it's been discussed before, but God help me, I can't come up with anything, sooooooo... :help:

I've read that when you Modify a saw engine, most guys recommend running Premium Gas (93 Octane, isn't it)?
Can one safely run a non-modified saw on it?

I'm waiting on a few parts, but am in the process of rebuilding my 372XP, and was wondering about running Premium gas in it, when it is back together again. (Probably Sunoco 260).
Are most 'Regular' gasoline blends today mixed with Ethanol?
Does this mean that Premium gas doesn't have Ethanol in it??
- (And what exactly are the bad points with Ethanol? ...drives out the seals or softening)??

I've heard that when you run high octane gas, you get a hotter combustion process, and that could lead to spark plug electrode failure, a burnt piston etc. :msp_scared:

What's the 'general consensus' on all of this?

"Curious in Connecticut"...........;)

CTwoodnutt up in the CT Hillz :rock:

100VLL. Less lead, stability additives by law, and no ethanol (no replacing diaphrams, lines, primer bulbs, etc.) Fine, you lose the MTBE or ethanol oxygenates that might add .1sec to your cookie time. If it's a vintage or working saw, you'll love 100VLL, if it's a racer, you should be on Q16 or methanol anyway...

Higher octane fuels are less volatile and burn slower than lower octane fuels. There is no benefit to running this in engines that are OK with lower octane gas unless you can advance the ignition timing. Burning premium fuel won't do any damage to engines that don't require it. More like wallet damage.

In Canada, some premium fuels don't have ethanol in them depending upon provincial legislation. Not sure about the States.

Those corn lobby guys really screwed us with that alcohol crap. Gives new meaning to being corn holed.

Higher octane fuels are less volatile and burn slower than lower octane fuels. There is no benefit to running this in engines that are OK with lower octane gas unless you can advance the ignition timing. Burning premium fuel won't do any damage to engines that don't require it. More like wallet damage.

In Canada, some premium fuels don't have ethanol in them depending upon provincial legislation. Not sure about the States.

Those corn lobby guys really screwed us with that alcohol crap. Gives new meaning to being corn holed.

Drinkin' corn squeeze, burnin' dinosaur squeeze...

Up here in the Northwest were I'm at the only place that does sell unleaded premium 93 octane fuel is 76 stations; all the others station sell ethanol in there premium

The local Stihl shop here has 6 glass bottles of fuel (8 oz bottles) from different stations in the area on their counter that shows what the fuel look like after a few months and they change the fuel every couple months also and you would be surprised what it looks like

There is a sprint car shop that sells racing fuel at 100 octane but I have never used it

I had a guy tell me once that he used cam II race fuel because it supposedly didnt go bad. Dont know if its true but thats what he said.

I had a guy tell me he uses aviation fuel. I know it will not go bad for a few years but will it make any running diffrence in a saw modded or not?

I had a guy tell me once that he used cam II race fuel because it supposedly didnt go bad. Dont know if its true but thats what he said.

All I know is the guys/gals that are using this racing fuel in there pro-carts do not keep there fuel for over a month. Or do the sprint car owners/drivers using methanol keep the fuel for over a month

What I been seeing with the fuel in those bottles; I will not use fuel that is a month old in any of my 2 cycle engines and there are 8 of them here at the house IMO

In the race shop were I've been working we have a metal 5 gallon bucket that we put the old race fuel in and use that for heat just stand back when you light it at first and we dont put more than 2 inches in the bottom of the can at time :)

Last edited:
I know some people that run 91 octane (premium), and some that run 87 (regular) in their saws (most the latter) I run 89 (mid-grade) because that's what Stihl recommends. Yeah, I read the manual when I bought my first new saw! Unfortunately, I don't believe gas in any grade is available in Connecticut without ethanol in it. Most likely state law. Ethanol is a horrible additive for chainsaws as I understand it ... it absorbs moisture, and creates a healthy environment for bacteria. With E10 in the saw tank, sitting unused for as little as 3 weeks, bacteria will begin to grow in the fuel filter ... pretty bad eh? Check out this site: Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada for ethanol free gas in your area. As you can see there are no listings for CT, but plenty in NY ... good for you in New Fairfield!!

I run 89 octane in my saws ( clearing saws and chain saw). Some guys here use regular but that stuff smells like s***.

Even race fuels now have ethanol

The only one suitable for saw use is gtx 260 . Its made for nascar and their requirements state no corn thank god. But its actually a little cold for a saw 98 octane is slower colder burning which a saw shouldnt need . Technically a saw is made to run hotter hence the difference in 2 stroke formulation for strictly saws. Ethanol draws moisture which in turn phase separates . This seperation which set in the bottom of a tank and collect until is only the fuel left in there due to densitys of it. When your saw goes low on fuel it can suck it up and be so low in octane it will actually burn hotter thus causing scoring. I asked about gtx 260 an it was suitable but I found storing should just be done with motomix or trufuel which has no ethanol. And only use 93 mixed with a quality synthetic and stabilize that. After thirty days toss it in a truck or car . It runs a risk of being phase separated and frying saws. Also in speaking to the fuel rep he said they are now finding the ethanol concentrations in pump tanks to be as high as 20% so its gaining in the tanks . Stay high octane pump gas and 30 day rule youll be fine. Leave the race fuels for race engines.

Up here in the Northwest were I'm at the only place that does sell unleaded premium 93 octane fuel is 76 stations; all the others station sell ethanol in there premium

where are you located at? all the gas stations around here have premium and most have told me that it is ethanol free

where are you located at? all the gas stations around here have premium and most have told me that it is ethanol free

North of Seattle about hour drive up I-5; Stanwood Wa

The week after the fire at the refinery outside of Ferndale Wa. it was hard to find the right fuel here I drove around Mt Vernon/Burlington area and finally found it

100VLL. Less lead, stability additives by law, and no ethanol (no replacing diaphrams, lines, primer bulbs, etc.) Fine, you lose the MTBE or ethanol oxygenates that might add .1sec to your cookie time. If it's a vintage or working saw, you'll love 100VLL, if it's a racer, you should be on Q16 or methanol anyway...

I'm curious cpr, what does 100VLL go for per gallon at this time in your area?

I'm curious cpr, what does 100VLL go for per gallon at this time in your area?

Last week it was $4.85/gallon. Not necessarily cost effective for an all day/every day cutter, but for my vintage saws that may sit months between runs, it's way cheaper than carb kits and lines. Smells good, too.

E10

Here in eastern Mass it is all E-10. Last pure gas readily available was 3-4 years ago. I would pay attention to the pressure my engine is... to decide what octane to run. I have pretty much given up on 87E10 and run 89E10 on my low comp saws poulans&jred with 130, 140, 145 PSI. The homelite with 165 PSI will get 91E10 or 93. I will be interested to see the compression on the Husky 298XP when It gets here...:biggrinbounce2:

I use the recommended 89 Octane. One has to be careful as to which service stations sell the non-ethanol gas. I tried the ethanol fuel, and had to replace some fuel lines that got brittle because of it. For only a few pennies difference, I'll stay with the straight gas.

Latest posts

Back