Utilizing urban wood waste

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I worked for a local city for 2½ years and they had their own private dump area for tree waste. They paid for a tub grinder to come in once a year and grind everything up, then it got loaded on semi trucks and hauled to Tampa to be burned in a power plant. It cost them a fortune, but they didn't contribute to filling up our landfills.

I just got a flier on a similar seminar being held in madison WI sometimes soon.

I think if someone had the money to put into an operation there would be able to make some money in urban timber salvage.

Urban Wood waste

I agree with John Paul. Urban timber COULD be done, but you have to calculate what you could be doing otherwise with that time. Its called opportunity cost. I continue to mill up logs, even though I lose my butt every time I do it. I've been a woodworker since I was a kid and spend an inordinate amount of time finding ways to use urban wastewood. Its become a professional mission. If there's a way to make a nickel in urban timber salvage, I will keep trying and may eventually find it. What I find is that persons are fascinated by the whole concept and will engage you extensively in conversation, which generallly interferes with me getting any actual work done. I always get a lot of that, right up until its time to clean up and then everyone scatters.

We have a place that takes clean, wood only (no leaves, roots, moss), no palm (too fiborous) or citrus (canker risk) loads to chip and dye a deep red for mulch. They used to take stuff with leaves, but had a fire (that was blamed on sparks from a RR car flying into a pile!) in our drought stricken area. These newer conditions are hard to meet most of the time! It is cheaper to dump there when you can though.

Our local landfill backs up to a commercial, independant plant that tub grinds and mixes shredded tires (for hotter burn?) for power. i don't beleive they bury any tree stuff anymore, though the cost of dumping hasn't decreased (.01 a pound; $20/ton)!

One local tree company has a small lumber mill for making pallets, that used to be owned independantly; and we would try to take clean, straight pine there cut to 54". Kinda became a hassle, now that it is bought out the tree company just handles there own waste there anyways.

We take clean, low knot, min. 12" diameter at small end 17'+ pine with no borers (which is a reason a lot of pines are removed locally) to another location (private mill)when possible. All conditions must be met, dump for free; we load on an eqipment trailer using a truck pulling a parbuckle 2/1 line to load the lengths. We lay the parbuckle line across 2 towing hooks on the truck, allowing it to pull to a wider/balanced focal point and self adjust slack side to side. This is more local to most of our jobs than other options. We use a Sherrill #16061 Blue Ox Log Hauler to move the med. diameter lengths long ways out gates and to the trailer fairly easily, very simple and intelligent cart!

I read somewhere a study about how a 30 sq. mile forest, properly managed can sustain a power plant indefinitely. I'll check the library tomorrow to find the size of the plant and any other details.

I know a guy who makes some extra money sawing cants for a pallet fatory. He yards up othere stuff for sale to woodworkers too.

Like anything else, if you do a little of everything you make a little on all of it. To realy make money at something it must be a dedicated buisness so you can find the economies of scale, and find regular customers.

There is a place about 1/2 hour north of here where you can bring; chips, stumps (whole), and wood. They will buy good millable logs from you. The chips and stumps and waste wood they want $11 per yard w/ a $20 minimum. They grind it up and sell if off for another $11 per yard. They send out a couple 18 wheelers every day with chips as they have a 50 yard minimum for delivery.

Speaking of which, I had heard from some classmates about a tree company up in the Rochester area which is backed by Lewis Tree. The company does residential work and some land clearing too. The way they manage waste is... cut the trees down, take away the brush and logs with a couple of 10 yard prentice loader trucks. Bring that to a yard that they own where they have 4 tub grinders. The company grinds up the logs and brush into mulch and sells it off. Apparently the mulch is rather low in quality, but the company SOMEHOW makes good money doing it this way. The kid was just telling me that the company bought a D8 recently to push the piles of mulch around :confused:

WOOD RECYCLE

Portland, Oregon is a pleasant debris situation.

Big trees are logged out for lumber.

Tree service chips are taken at about 10 different areas at about .50 to $1 per cubic yard, or taken free at farms.

Yard debris ( branches & wood ) are taken at $5 per cubic yard.

Then there is a Newsprint company here that will take anything wood - chips, pallets, limbs with leaves attached, big-mother pieces of trunk, stumps, old wood furniture, old decks, lumber, etc.. and they produce electricity.

That last place is free. Its also the flattest, most level surface to dump on in town.

Mario Vaden
Landscape Designer / Arborist
M.D. Vaden Trees & Landscapes
Beaverton, Oregon:blob2:

Tom's Link

If you follow Tom's link down partly to "Municipalities" you'll find a section about Wausau, Wisconsin. Blaine Peterson, the city forester, was our speaker for the SSA on Wednesday. It was interesting to hear him talk after reading that book last semester.

Nickrosis

Latest posts

Back