v.p. fuel retune ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I was running v.p. 94 octane fuel mixed with echo power blend oil at 50:1 and fouled a plug. I'm not going to use anymore pump fuel with ethanol in my saws. Anyway do I need to retune my carb since switching fuel?

You may need to retune for the new fuel. Heck in some times of the year you may need to retune during the day.

Do you have a tach? can you tune by ear?

As mdavlee said anything can really cause you to have to retune.

It all has to do with how close you are to "peak" performance or max rpm.

Basically I run most of my stuff like 500 rpm or so below peak RPM and so for a lot of situations I'm not really sensitive to small changes in fuel, temp, etc that cause my saw to run a little richer or a little leaner.

If you have a tach you might want to put your saws on it when running a new fuel and see what it works out to. Same thing with tuning by ear if you're saws aren't limited etc.

Whether or not you have to retune kinda depends on where you are now and how sensitive you are to it .

Sorry to give you a politician's answer but in this case it's fitting.

You will need to lean it out a bit as octane goes up. You're running rich for sure if you fouled a plug.

Nope, not the octane. It's the increased hydrogen and carbon in the fuel (because of the reduced oxygen) that will richen things up a bit.

Can I ask why you are running VP in what I gather is a stock saw?
I was talking to one guy recently who was running it and in the end he said it was because it smelled nice :)
If you fouled a plug maybe look at the oil that you are using. Husqvarna Low Smoke has a habit of fouling plugs in certain saws but not sure about the Echo stuff.

Nope, not the octane. It's the increased hydrogen and carbon in the fuel (because of the reduced oxygen) that will richen things up a bit.

Agreed. I was keeping it simple since the higher octane rating goes hand in hand with being denser fuel even though it is not the exact reason, just how most people recognize differences. Did I promote ignorance?

I was talking to one guy recently who was running it and in the end he said it was because it smelled nice :)
If you fouled a plug maybe look at the oil that you are using. Husqvarna Low Smoke has a habit of fouling plugs in certain saws but not sure about the Echo stuff.

VP SEF...(Small Engine Fuel)..
Why not run it? Its ethanol free.
Its not like he's running C12 or something.

VP SEF...(Small Engine Fuel)..
Why not run it? Its ethanol free.
Its not like he's running C12 or something.

I'm just curious. I've seen a few people running VP fuel lately on AS in stock saws expecting a performance gain so just thought I'd ask what the reasoning was.

It's a free world and people can run whatever they like but sometimes asking the question can explain what their reasons are.

For example:

1) I'm running it because I can't get ethanol free fuel otherwise. Fine.
2) I'm running it because I know it is high quality and our area has had fuel issues recently. Also fine.
3) I'm running it because *INSERT NAME HERE* told me I will get a 45% power increase. Well that isn't fine.

I hope you know what I mean.

I'm just curious. I've seen a few people running VP fuel lately on AS in stock saws expecting a performance gain so just thought I'd ask what the reasoning was.

It's a free world and people can run whatever they like but sometimes asking the question can explain what their reasons are.

For example:

1) I'm running it because I can't get ethanol free fuel otherwise. Fine.
2) I'm running it because I know it is high quality and our area has had fuel issues recently. Also fine.
3) I'm running it because *INSERT NAME HERE* told me I will get a 45% power increase. Well that isn't fine.

I hope you know what I mean.

I was expecting more like a 65% increase.

I am thinking about going to the airport and getting a gallon of the 100vll just for shi** and giggles,,,, none of my saws are stock either + its just a piece of mind that I am not running any ethanol,,, I know its stupid but I do worry about it guess because I have a lot of saws that comes through the shop with ethanol damage,, figured I would run at least 1 gallon and just see how it goes,,

I am thinking about going to the airport and getting a gallon of the 100vll just for shi** and giggles,,,, none of my saws are stock either + its just a piece of mind that I am not running any ethanol,,, I know its stupid but I do worry about it guess because I have a lot of saws that comes through the shop with ethanol damage,, figured I would run at least 1 gallon and just see how it goes,,

I run it (100LL) for the simple fact that I have semi-easy access to it and its E-free and it has an excellent shelf life.
It smells "fruity", but don't expect any performance gains.

I run it (100LL) for the simple fact that I have semi-easy access to it and its E-free and it has an excellent shelf life.
It smells "fruity", but don't expect any performance gains.

your reasoning is why I want to try it,, I don't care if I get any gains anyway since my saws are masterboobed already,, it would be nice to be able to not use my saws for a few months and not having to worry about coming back to fuel lines turning to goo

I'm using vp fuel because of ethanol, I really didn't expect a performance increase. And yes I have a tach, and I'm going to test my r.p.m. some night this week if I get home halfway early. Thanks for the tips.

Good stuff. I've used SEF94 for a few years but I'm about out and can't do a mega-purchase anytime soon. At least now I've got access to some REAL petrol.

I gave up on VP SEF in my saws a few years back. I had to retune all my saws because they ran super rich and if you put pump gas in they were on the lethal edge of lean. If you are going to go with VP I suggest sticking with it and try not to go back to pump gas unless you have too. I will probably give VP fuel another shot here this year and see if it has improved.

I gave up on VP SEF in my saws a few years back. I had to retune all my saws because they ran super rich and if you put pump gas in they were on the lethal edge of lean. If you are going to go with VP I suggest sticking with it and try not to go back to pump gas unless you have too. I will probably give VP fuel another shot here this year and see if it has improved.

Have you tried Trufuel for a comparison? I'd like to run some to see.

I'm on my second can of this

View attachment 307834

There is a difference running this; than pump fuel - more power

Would I switch back to pump fuel - NO WAY !

The better it's tuned the better your saw will run

I'm back from my racing (no more road trips) just going to do weekly races in the area; one of the first calls I received when I got back was helping with a 6 cord order that were starting this coming weekend kinda can't wait it's been over a month since I started any saw up now I have to figure wish ones to bring

BLUE FUEL is were it's at :msp_ohmy:

That amounts to roughly $25 a gallon after HazMat fees and shipping. And i thought $5 per gallon for E Free gas at the marina here was expensive.

Latest posts

Back