Valsetz - a logging town that died in 1984

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Paccity posted photos of the town before on AS, but like the town, the photos are DOA with the old vB AS. Go a Google search for Valsetz and you will see a lot of photos of the place. Valsetz was bulldozed and burned like slash. The logging company did not want it around as a liability. All that is left of that place are some fireplace foundations and concrete slabs. The road through that side is closed now; the bridge on the north side of the 'town' is rotting out and the Oregon DOT closed it, and barricaded the entrance with portable concrete walls. You can drive around it though. I was out there last spring to go to the Valley of the Giants, one of the best (if not the best) old grove stands of Doug Fir and Hemlock. I would say its a toss up between there and Bagby Hot Springs/Bull of the Woods in the Cascades. The rest of that area (the Siletz River area) is pretty much moonscape from all the logging.

Lots of place names in Oregon were towns once, but are no longer. Bull Run near where I live was like that. 100 years ago there was a trolley line out there from Portland. It was a boom town. Now its just the decommissioned power station on the river, lots of trees, and a few cattle and horse ranches. The town was mostly moved elsewhere, house by house. The rail lines were all ripped up in the late depression years and used for scrap in WWII. A place near where I used to live in Southern Oregon is called Skelley, and there was a mill like Valsetz with mill ponds, a log flume, and at one time there was a skunk train out there (narrow gauge rail). The town had several hundred people living there around 1900. All that is left there is the old dance hall which is empty. The rest was moved, flooded out or burned down over the years. The towns of Yoncalla and Drain near there are slowly shrinking into extinction as well. They both used to be much larger towns than they are now. Just north of Drain was a town called Leona, but nothing remains of it after several floods wiped it out. No one there can tell or recall where it was. A tad farther north are the towns of Curtain and Anlauf whish are all but gone now as well. Basically the 1972 legislation limits any building outside of urban areas in Oregon, so small places are disappearing because there is no economic growth w/o any housing development. For better or worse...

yup sad. just had the 30th anniversary reunion of when they tore it down. i was the last of 4 gen that lived and logged there. pretty cool place to live and raise a family. lots of good memories .

Back