Value of minty 064

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodrow

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have come across a minty 064 with a 32 bar and full skip chain. What would be a good price to pay for a saw like this?

Thanks,
Dan

No offence to others but I have to say $600.

$600-800 for one that nice. Not saying it isn't worth it (because it is to some and probably more to others), but I would have to want one really bad to pay $800. I would, however, pay $600 for this one in a heart beat, even though I don't need it. We are all assuming the piston and cylinder are OEM and in as good a shape as the rest of the saw.

An 066/MS660 runs about $500 to $800 depending on condition. The 064 is a bit smaller (like an MS650) so for a nice one like that I'd say $600 would be a great price and $650 or so would be average market value. Add about $40 for the longer than average bar in good shape. So $690 would be an appropriate price but less is always better unless you're selling.
(assuming great mechanical condition as the pic is vague at best)

Looks repainted. The color is off. The tank doesn't match the recoil and crank case. The plastics aren't original.

Looks good at first glance. Assuming it's an early version given the non HD filter cover I'm a little suspect on the tags.

I may be incorrect but 064's of that vintage came with metal tags as per mine below. Those look like the new plastic type seen on later versions. The metal tags are very hard to get so most just get replaced with plastic. See mine below.

If it is legit go for it($650 imho) but I would want to establish its history and ensure it wasn't someone else's rebuilt or tart up.

IMG_5381 (Large).JPG

not 100% original, has a newer replacement OEM recoil cover, newer top cover and badge, new fuel cap (these sometimes leak as they are not a perfect match for the flat caps in all cases)
suspect AM replacement top handle as well
A real nice example might bring $800 retail but the sell around here for @600-650 in nice solid running condition with a 28-32" b/c. I have several that wouldn't be for sale at any price and a true NOS example would easily bring upwards of $1000.
the single, distant, blurry pic isn't a great tool for determining value.
If I was buying to flip I would be at $400.00.
If I was buying to cut wood, I would check the piston and offer as much as $600 if that is what it took and the saw looked and sounded good in person.
If I was buying to have it ported I would figure $950.00 total budget and back down to my offer based on what it really needs to be as nice as you want it.
I would switch to HD air filter setup immediately unless flipping.

list on the bar n chain 32" .050 RS and ES is about 164.00 and I paid $120.00 back in December of 2014 in my area, the prices have taken one increase since then and will take another very shortly, I only order the Stihl chain as a special request, but prefer the OEM Stihl bars, just haven't needed to buy a 32" since then

last I bought them
32" RS pre-spun 60.51 list I paid $41.79
32" ES list 104.83 I paid $73.45
I noticed my dealer don't strictly follow the distributer's list price list (nor do they have to) and that though they don't charge either of the two "list" prices for bars and chains, they don't cut me the normal break I get for being a Stihl-Thrall.
Same deal with motomix, 2 cycle mix and bar n chain oil.
it is what it is and in this case is the reason I tried out Oregon chains :)
Stih bars sell saws around here though, whatever they charge is worth it to the buyer.
Dave

Thanks for all the replies. This is why I asked on this awesome site.

I am a little under educated on the Stihl saws. I have bought some great Husqvarna's on here and found a few on craigslist. This 064 is a craiglist find and the guy is firm at $850.00. His story is he paid more than that new (of course he did) and it was for his FIL and it is too heavy for him (of course it is). "It has only been used a few times." The guy did give me the serial number of 120525228.

This would be a saw that would be a candidate for porting and using, probably with a 28" vs the 32" that is on it.

The story doesn't add up based on the pic..

THIS!!

ported it wont have a problem with a 32" or even 36" in .050, but with $300.00 ish roundtrip in the work then you need to be a lot less than 850.00 even if everything is functionally perfect
the true gauge of what anything is worth is what someone is willing to pay

Back