Vegetable/Canola Oil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NYSawBoss

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Is it true that you can use straight canola oil from the supermarket as bar oil? That's excellent!! Proper viscocity, flash level and what not??

Tony

I think I read that it works ok as long as you are a daily user and keep fresh oil run through the system. If you are a once a month user, old veggie oil will gum up your lines and pump.

It's been discussed at length before.. see what turns up on a search.

Ian

I use it but with caveats. There is a BOATLOAD of info to be found on the subject here. Do some searches, it will keep you pretty busy. Essentially, it boils down to what Ian said.

Welcome!

Tony- it's good to see you around again.

I inherited a saw once that had been run with corn oil as bar oil for cutting up a frozen cow, no joke. The saw had sat a couple years and like Ian said, everything including the oil pump was gummed up solid. I ended up replacing all the oiler parts including the pump.

Is it true that you can use straight canola oil from the supermarket as bar oil? That's excellent!! Proper viscocity, flash level and what not??

Tony

No, not proper viscosity by a long way. Very thin compared to say, Stihl bar oil. I used a gallon of it last winter, and it flowed well, but the gumming was bad if it sat a few weeks.

If you use the saw every day, probably not a problem. Let it sit and you've got gum!

I really would like to use it for the environmental reasons, but I just can't unless I want a gummed up saw.

For Customers using bio oil of various types... every couple of weeks I have to "un-gum" another pump and tank... I had a 460 moil pump that was glued in with "material" that had set up like car tire rubber.

Stihl says not to leave it in your saw for more then 30 days without running conventional bar oil through.

It has it's place, but I wouldn't run it full time.

Last edited:
That sounds like the old SU carburetors that had an oil damping mechanism to keep from slamming shut when you backed off the throttle, or something like that. I had them on my Datsun 2000 Roadster. I was told that some people used olive oil instead of the power steering fluid in them.

But maybe we will start to see "Chainsaw Cuisine," a new take on the Teban Yake (sp.?) theme where they use chainsaws to slice the meat as part of the presentation............" Oh, Herbert, we MUST try the Stihl Cafe... they are using toasted sesame oil to flavor the filet Migñon!" :dizzy: :greenchainsaw:

I was sawing once and ran out of bar oil in the forest. The next supermarket 10min drive the next supplier for bar oil 1,5 hrs away. In went the sunflower or maybe it was corn oil(I forgot). It has very low viscosity but it did the job that day. I didn't refill when I was finished. At home I refiled with bar oil and it went well.

7sleeper

Last edited:
And if you do use cooking oil, use something that doesn't go bad quickly. Canola/rapeseed is good, soy is bad, corn not much better than soy. I suppose you could use soy and mix vitamin E with it to slow down oxidation, some of the home biodiesel processors do that to extend shelf life.

Been on the canola wagon for near a year now in both my saws, no problems at all including gumming up, what does stick cleans up easily w/o fuss. I have cut at least 30 cord using it btw.
Corn oil, safflow, olive, generic vegie etc. etc., all no-nos they will dry out/thicken and foul stuff up imho.
As stated above there is lots of info here already, go search mah man, go search!

:cheers:

Serge

That sounds like the old SU carburetors that had an oil damping mechanism to keep from slamming shut when you backed off the throttle, or something like that. I had them on my Datsun 2000 Roadster.

Teacherman, I knew I liked you! :clap:

I had a 69, with the Solex cam but Weber carbs. What did you have?

Okay, thread hijack, but this is IMPORTANT!!! :cheers:

Teacherman, I knew I liked you! :clap:

I had a 69, with the Solex cam but Weber carbs. What did you have?

Okay, thread hijack, but this is IMPORTANT!!! :cheers:

1969, red rag top, two SU carbs. I will try to find an old picture and post it to you. It was a long time ago......... That car was great. Got a heckuva speeding ticket the day I got it.:)

Thread Restore:::>> I think I will use my 009 with serrano pepper-infused olive oil to divide this huge ham into portions at my next dinner party...:greenchainsaw:

That sounds like the old SU carburetors that had an oil damping mechanism to keep from slamming shut when you backed off the throttle, or something like that. I had them on my Datsun 2000 Roadster. I was told that some people used olive oil instead of the power steering fluid in them.

Those were call the dashpots, and there was actually proper dashpot oil, most people I know and me as well, use ATF in them works fine, and will never gum up.

Back