Veggie oil?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

is veggie oil funky or skunky?

• funky

Votes: 74 73.3%
  • skunky

Votes: 27 26.7%

• Total voters
Tree Machine said:
Once inside, if the saw is cold, veggie still goes through the pump without any extra effort on part of the oil pump. If you really work with the stuff you see that veggie doesn't really change viscosity. Seemingly it does, but only when the oil is still. Once moving, or agitated, flow characteristics improve, regardless of temperature. With petro bar, it remains very thick, very viscous until the insides of the saw warm up. Until then, the oil pump, is under strain. Agitation or the motion of flow do not change the viscosity of bar.
The saw has no problems pumping super cold veggie.
That's what I wanted to hear from the very beginning!!
Tree Machine said:
The expansion/cracking of the tank, that's not at all possible. Expansion due to freezing is purely a water thing, very unusual characteristic that it expands once it hits its freezing point. Pretty much every other substance, compound or element on earth contracts when colder.
Really, I didn't know that-learn something new everyday!! Obviously science was not my best subject in school.:blush:
Tree Machine said:
Please be careful warming your veggie up near the chipper manifold.
Didn't have it on the manifold. Just set the bottle on top of the steel cowling that covers the engine. Doesn't get hot but does warm up enough to melt the snow off it.

ever fri ur potatos in bar oil

:monkey: :dizzy: :help: :jawdrop: :deadhorse: :cheers:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Here are couple of pics, a few years old, It was between -5 and -10 degrees F, and this was what the oil looked like.

Now, oil listed as VEGETABLE will be soybean oil, that's different from corn and different from canola. Molecularly, these oils differ just enough that they posess slightly different physical and chemical characteristics. Soybean is the first to reach a semisolid state, then corn, then canola. Olive oil (not recommended for saws) will do this in the fridge.

Right around 0 degrees F (-18) is where the three of them reach their freezing point, a critical temperature where a phase change occurs, where these veg oils go from a clear liquid to an opaque solid with liquid characteristics, more like a liquid with suspended solids that aren't at all 'solid'. AT it's freezing point, the phase change is subtle, hardly noticable from the saw operator's standpoint, but as the temp drops, the vegg becomes less and less of a 'liquid'. As temps dive further (for you polar or Antarctic tree guys) the consistency of a thin pudding. At sub-arctic (deep freeze) temps, I imagine there is a point where the oil would be hard as butter, but realistically, 0 degrees F is a good benchmark for two reasons. 1) this is the phase change zone for veggie oils and 2) much below this, tree guys generally are not out working in it and don't care what the veggie's doing out there at 10 below.

There are the molecular reasons the oils differ and therefore behave ever so slightly different from one another. That stuff really doesn't interest most people. Canola though, because of it's particular molecular setup, will stay liquid at lower temps than almost all the others. Like Beo said,
They don't really freeze and expand. They just turn into a gelatinous slurry. Corn and veggie oil seemed to 'jello' at around zero. But the canola is still runny even after two days in the freezer!!

So, the official solution to this 'problem' is, buy whatever veggie oil is the cheapest in general, but when it comes to super cold weather, run straight canola.

I really think, having used petro bar the first 8 or 9 Winters, and having used veggie, this now being my 4th winter, that veggie oil has flow advantages superior to dino bar. Just much better behaved.

Ive read the whole post with interest but only 1 time did I read any mention of peanut oil and that was w/ smell.

How does the peanut oil stand up compared to vegie and the others?

I know they sell it in large amounts for frying turkeys.

I've been reading this thread with interest also. And my last jug of bar oil is almost empty. The benefits are easy to see, and I'm ready to make the switch to veggie oil.

My question is....whats the most economical place/volume/type to buy? What are you guys running it paying?

As I'm typing, I just thought of calling a buddy of mine who manages a fast food restaurant. He gets 5 gallon plastic jugs of the stuff, gotta find out how much one of those costs....

5 gal for 12.50? That's the most inexpensive I've heard of.

Peanut stands up well. Peanut oil takes high heat better than many other oils, which is why it's popularly used in deep fryers. However we try not to create high heat on a bar and chain. High friction and heat is what kills bars and wears driver links.

Peanut has gotten minimal attention here for only this one reason: It's more expensive than the others, not by much, but I encourage our fellow climbers to get whatever veggie oil is the cheapest.

All the vegetable based oils we use are so very close to each other in both molecular structure and lubricity that unless you get down to subfreezing temps, the differences, other than maybe a little difference in the shade of the oil's color and a little scent is so minimal. I LOOK for the differences, intentionally, so I can bring you good, clean info. Canola does seem to have advantages over the others, but still, it's splitting hairs.

Peanut oil would be my favored oil because I can get it in 5 gallon lugs from Lowe's in the fryer/barbecue section. BUT, it's more expensive than other choices and its only going a whirl around the bar a time or two and then sprayed out into the environment. I won't pay a penny more than I have to for a product when it's ultimately just going to be sprayed out onto the ground.
My question is....whats the most economical place/volume/type to buy? What are you guys running it paying?

As I'm typing, I just thought of calling a buddy of mine who manages a fast food restaurant. He gets 5 gallon plastic jugs of the stuff, gotta find out how much one of those costs....
You'll have to look around. I keep it simple. I get whatever's on sale at the grocery. I get mine from Aldi usually. Your fast food connection might be a good one. Though I have never put used fryer oil in my saws, if I had a convenient source, I would try it. Just remember, there are different types of fryer oil. Some start out like shortening, turning to liquid as it heats up- bad. You want oils that start out as liquid oil, are disposed of as liquid and cool down and remain liquid. I can't stress this enough. Know what you're putting in your saw. I don't recommend food particles in your oil tank, I just see this as not being good in any way. You MUST strain and filter any used oils. Other than that, I hope it's free and convenient.

Tree Machine said:
Though I have never put used fryer oil in my saws, if I had a convenient source, I would try it. Just remember, there are different types of fryer oil. Some start out like shortening, turning to liquid as it heats up- bad. You want oils that start out as liquid oil, are disposed of as liquid and cool down and remain liquid. I can't stress this enough. Know what you're putting in your saw. I don't recommend food particles in your oil tank, I just see this as not being good in any way. You MUST strain and filter any used oils. Other than that, I hope it's free and convenient.

I wasnt thinking of using the oil after it had been through the fryers, just using my buddy as a source to buy bulk new oil. Seems like the effort required to clean and filter used oil for bar lube would be a pain, and even then tiny particluate could clog the pump up. Not sure what variety his oil is, but it does start out as liquid. When a jug of it sits, tho, it does separate somewhat into a slightly thicker goo at the bottom. A good shake should take care of that.

ddh,

when in was in high school, i worked at a pizza hut and we got 5 gal jugs of oil everynowandthen. They looked like what you might find at sams.

OK, just got off the phone with my fast food buddy. I've got a 5 gal jug of liquid corn oil coming in next week, cost is $13.50.

This rocks, gonna be 40some% cheaper than the cheapest bar oil we can get, and non polluting.

Tree Machine said:
5 gal for 12.50? That's the most inexpensive I've heard of.

Peanut stands up well. Peanut oil takes high heat better than many other oils, which is why it's popularly used in deep fryers. However we try not to create high heat on a bar and chain. High friction and heat is what kills bars and wears driver links.

Peanut has gotten minimal attention here for only this one reason: It's more expensive than the others, not by much, but I encourage our fellow climbers to get whatever veggie oil is the cheapest.

All the vegetable based oils we use are so very close to each other in both molecular structure and lubricity that unless you get down to subfreezing temps, the differences, other than maybe a little difference in the shade of the oil's color and a little scent is so minimal. I LOOK for the differences, intentionally, so I can bring you good, clean info. Canola does seem to have advantages over the others, but still, it's splitting hairs.

Peanut oil would be my favored oil because I can get it in 5 gallon lugs from Lowe's in the fryer/barbecue section. BUT, it's more expensive than other choices and its only going a whirl around the bar a time or two and then sprayed out into the environment. I won't pay a penny more than I have to for a product when it's ultimately just going to be sprayed out onto the ground. You'll have to look around. I keep it simple. I get whatever's on sale at the grocery. I get mine from Aldi usually. Your fast food connection might be a good one. Though I have never put used fryer oil in my saws, if I had a convenient source, I would try it. Just remember, there are different types of fryer oil. Some start out like shortening, turning to liquid as it heats up- bad. You want oils that start out as liquid oil, are disposed of as liquid and cool down and remain liquid. I can't stress this enough. Know what you're putting in your saw. I don't recommend food particles in your oil tank, I just see this as not being good in any way. You MUST strain and filter any used oils. Other than that, I hope it's free and convenient.

If you use peanut oil should you also warn people with peanut allergies not to use that saw due to people with peanut allergies.....LOL.:ices_rofl: :ices_rofl:

ddhlakebound said:
OK, just got off the phone with my fast food buddy. I've got a 5 gal jug of liquid corn oil coming in next week, cost is $13.50.

This rocks, gonna be 40some% cheaper than the cheapest bar oil we can get, and non polluting.

daaaammmmnnnnn thats cheap!!! 5 gallons up here, i was qouted $65 CDN......

I did just score 5 gallons of red bar oil for 15 bucks from a supply house locally though..... should last me about 3 - 4 weeks.

Well, Im going to have to find me a restaraunt friend too. I was in wamalart this am and a 1 gall jug of off brand v oil was 4.88. their brand of bar oil is only 3.88/gal and thats currently what im using.

I loved how you guys stressed the importance of keeping the chain sharp. My climber argues with me all the time of how wood alone will dull your chain. He's right, but wood alone wont dull the chain 2 or 3 times a week. I too will be switching to veggie oil. Thanks for sharing information. Oh yeah the quote ( if ya cant keep your chain sharp and your bar maintained you suck) I love it.

B-Edwards said:
I loved how you guys stressed the importance of keeping the chain sharp. My climber argues with me all the time of how wood alone will dull your chain. He's right, but wood alone wont dull the chain 2 or 3 times a week. I too will be switching to veggie oil. Thanks for sharing information. Oh yeah the quote ( if ya cant keep your chain sharp and your bar maintained you suck) I love it.

Dis be what's it all about mate!!

i swear to the dogs that be i will be veggie usin' man!

Sharp is vry gud!

X=mad fud fer cats? GAH!! letem eat vaske....... an inhumanly impossible task. (should it lazt>>) If you are actually up to the task. HM, must go llick myself.............

:)

:)

:blob2: :rockn: :rockn:

Last edited:
What if its cold????

who in there right mind would use vegtibal oil for their chainsaw. I've seen poeple use new motor oil that was light weight but still oil. I personally wont put anything but Echo bar and chin oil in my saws. :confused:

Sam's veggie oil 5gal went up to $14. been sitting in back of my truck last few nights. wanted to see how it sets up. so far it's staying liquid, but it's only gotten down to 40deg

Latest posts

Back