vented bulk bags

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChoppyChoppy

Tree Freak
Reaction score
I know a couple folks on here were using them, what was your source?

I bought 6 on ebay to test. They were about $7.50 each, but with shipping worked out to about $30 each (ouch).

Tried to work with him to do USPS shipping, but he refuses. Usps of 20 bags (70lbs) is $140 vs $340 with Fedex.
I was looking to buy 60 bags, so that's a $600 price difference.
Also Fedex took almost 3 weeks from CA to my shop on the 6 bags!

As far as use, any ideas on how to keep the bottom somewhat flat? The bags are "u bags" where it's made out of 1 big piece for 2 sides and the bottom and 2 smaller pieces to form the other 2 sides.
I had in mind plywood, but a sheet of 1/2" plywood per 2 bags would cost me about $900 on 60 bags.
Right now they don't stay upright without propping them since the bottom isn't flat.

Here's my jerry rigged setup. I plan to use an actual forklift and do 2 bags at once (8ft tines), it's just loaned out right now.

20170517_204222.jpg

So I called my local building material place to ask them where they get there bags they use for sand. He said onetonbag.com, so I called and asked for a quote they said they had them for 10$ a piece but didn't give a price break till 300 units then there $9.65 each, he wasn't able to give me a shipping on smaller amounts off top of his head but 100 up to 300 would be $144 on a pallet at least to me, I imagine its considerably more to Alaska. But even if freight was double your in it for 13-15$ as opposed to 30$

So I called my local building material place to ask them where they get there bags they use for sand. He said onetonbag.com, so I called and asked for a quote they said they had them for 10$ a piece but didn't give a price break till 300 units then there $9.65 each, he wasn't able to give me a shipping on smaller amounts off top of his head but 100 up to 300 would be $144 on a pallet at least to me, I imagine its considerably more to Alaska. But even if freight was double your in it for 13-15$ as opposed to 30$

They only have regular bags. I have hundreds of those, get them free from the farm next door (fertilizer comes in them). They will rot the wood, so I can't use them for firewood. The vented bags aren't so common I guess?

Like this, but bigger:
http://bagsupplies.ca/?page_id=64

35 cu ft isn't 1/4 cord like they are talking about, more like 5 bags to a cord. The ones I have now are 3 bags to a cord. about 45x45 and 60" tall.

Well a cord is 128 cu ft. so yes and no haha to the math it is on, BUT they don't take into account thrown in firewood vs stacked firewood

i know that they will make bags, maybe shoot them an e-mail or something see if they can make them to what you want, plus the way our dollar is, your dollar would go a bit farther here

Well a cord is 128 cu ft. so yes and no haha to the math it is on, BUT they don't take into account thrown in firewood vs stacked firewood

i know that they will make bags, maybe shoot them an e-mail or something see if they can make them to what you want, plus the way our dollar is, your dollar would go a bit farther here

A stacked cord, but loose is in the 165-200 cu ft area, all depending how the wood falls.

The bags I have hold about 55 cu ft each.

I'll email them.

https://woodlandmills.ca/us/product/firewood-bags/

These are the ones we get. Shipping was very fast in the lower 48. They have a warehouse in New York so no import fees or anything like that. They hold a true face cord of wood. I have face cord racks and we ran one up the conveyor and into the bag and it all fit. The bags are as full as you could get it but it all went in. We also just loaded off the forks of our forklift and it worked just fine. I am having a double bag stand built with an adjustable off feed hopper so you can fill 2 bags at a time before you have to move them. I saw one on you-tube that worked pretty slick. The yellow telehandler was a rental, we just got our JCB Teletruk at the end of the firewood season this spring.

IMG_0089.JPG IMG_0112.JPG IMG_0144.JPG Screenshot 2017-03-18 08.19.36.png

I use the forks on my tractor to hold the bag up and actually set the bottom on a skid. As the bag fills up it will self balance for the most part. Sometimes have to "help" it get a solid base. Then I lift from the bottom to move it and it keeps it off the ground to get air underneath. I got mine here about $13 total shipped to door. Sell in small batches. I'm on year 3 with mine.

These are the ones we get. Shipping was very fast in the lower 48. They have a warehouse in New York so no import fees or anything like that. They hold a true face cord of wood. I have face cord racks and we ran one up the conveyor and into the bag and it all fit. The bags are as full as you could get it but it all went in. We also just loaded off the forks of our forklift and it worked just fine. I am having a double bag stand built with an adjustable off feed hopper so you can fill 2 bags at a time before you have to move them. I saw one on you-tube that worked pretty slick. The yellow telehandler was a rental, we just got our JCB Teletruk at the end of the firewood season this spring.

View attachment 580261 View attachment 580262 View attachment 580263 View attachment 580264

They are proving to be very difficult to work with so far. Their site says a shipping cost of $440 for 60 bags. I emailed to see about a more normal cost since the actual USPS shipping is about $280.
$40 on just 6 bags, eh, I can see that just for the PITA factor, but I'm trying to buy $1000 of bags.

They replied that the site is wrong and the shipping is "around $500". $500 to ship 2 70lb packages seems just "a bit" much!

What are you paying for them with the shipping?

They are proving to be very difficult to work with so far. Their site says a shipping cost of $440 for 60 bags. I emailed to see about a more normal cost since the actual USPS shipping is about $280.
$40 on just 6 bags, eh, I can see that just for the PITA factor, but I'm trying to buy $1000 of bags.

They replied that the site is wrong and the shipping is "around $500". $500 to ship 2 70lb packages seems just "a bit" much!

What are you paying for them with the shipping?

I only placed 2 orders with them for 36 bags each time I ordered. The bags come in boxes of 6 bags per box. So 6 boxes total. Shipping from New York was $150. I don't know if they are putting them in the boxes or if they are getting them that way. This year I am going to see if they could ship a pallet of the bags cheaper. These bags are nicer than the Dino bags for sure. They have straps on the bottom of them as well for tipping them over to empty into your trailer or truck for delivery. 2 sides are the mesh/burlap looking material and there other 2 sides are a smaller window screen type material that really lets the air move through the bags.

I wonder how you got a $150 price on shipping? That isnt bad.

I asked about shipping to a freight forwarder in WA and they told me it would be $400 for 60 bags. At your shipping cost it would be $250.

The bags I bought where $7.50 each, just shipping was $$, though the Woodland bags with shipping aren't cheaper. Dino bags are about $10each, I'm waiting on a shipping quote

View attachment 580261 View attachment 580262 View attachment 580263 View attachment 580264
Hi, what is the difference between face cord and cord of wood. Cord is 128cu ft right? That is 3.62 cu meters. These bags are according to their web site 1.5 co meters or 52.4 cu ft.

From what I need to dry, I would need a crap load of these bags.

I need to dry 2x 70 cu meters per week, wood needs 8 weeks to dry here, that's 380 bags just for 1 customers wood. I will be bankrupt before I start....

Sent from my SM-J700H using Tapatalk

So I am referring to Bush cords. Thanks, now I have a better understanding.

Sent from my SM-J700H using Tapatalk

haha Welll that around here is a touchy subject. a lot of people in Canuckikastan use Bush Cord ie the Amish. this form Loves Cord. for sake of saving an argument that will never win. refer to things as a Cord / Facecord and make sure to label what you sell a face cord as 16"x4'x8' or whatever your cut piece actually is.

Also i'm pretty sure the way they have done there math in the bags is to stacked face cord, and Cord. there is on google loose cord calcs or Valleyfirewood has them above i think too.

Latest posts

Back