venting a brick fireplace with outside air

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mga

wandering
Reaction score
This house is too air tight. If i build a fire in the fireplace, i need to open the sliding glass door to get air to it. You can actually see the fire die down slightly when i close the door. If she runs the dryer, it draws air thru the fireplace and cuts the fire down. If i don't have a fire going, it draws the smoke smell from it. Opening a door or window defeats the purpose of having a fire.

There are two fireplaces, one up and one down. I use the lower one only and i had to seal off the chimney of the upper fireplace because it would draw smoke in from the lower one when i had a fire going.

What i'd like to do is remove a brick and find a vent the size of the brick so i can run a pipe to the outside. Does anyone make a vent this size? Or, do i need to spend $200 and buy a Dreschel kit? I'm looking for the least expensive way to vent this.

thanks for any suggestions

You could have someone drill a hole to the size you need, maybe even do it yourself.
But someone could core that I would think, and be set up for dust collection or wet drill it.
Our Vermont Casting Defiant, free standing wood stove, has an outdoor air supply.

Latest posts

Back