Vermeer 352 Problems

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
stumpy66 said:
arrhhh shusss....i have no problems with mine....it does the job....just think that the only machine in that sector of the market has just got better.....if there was another machine to match it...i would be pissy...my 352 is ok......my mind is still inquiring about peoples experience of the bandit range of machines.....

I had a 252 and during the time I owned my machine yes improvements were made,but the amount of changes made to the 352 in its short life nearly warrent the machine to be called a different model.

i know what you are saying...i wonder if the price has gone up...i know some folk have had good deals recently...perhaps that was because the new one was coming out.......the new model i saw didnt have 4 wheel drive, just an artilulating axle on the rear...Lee didnt you see it at cirencester?

I never owned a vermeer. I am a Rayco/Carlton fan. I did see the Bandit grinder videos on their web site and they look impressive but I am leary of purchasing a stump grinder from a company that recently just started making them.

The only problem I have had on the 352 and in 4 months I have put 120 hours on it is the exhaust keeps vibrating it's self loose. Have been promised a modification on it. Also I have noticed now that the radiator grill is making a load of noise. The 352 does the job and it does it quick, I can't knock it.

352 nightmare

like stumpjumpermo /ibought this thing aug 2004 and been having problems every since.clutch and electrical especially,manifold bolts fallout ,radiator mount broke in two causing cracked radiator

Last edited:
vermeer 352 nightmare

after purchasing my 352 aug 04 the nightmare began,clutches(over5)3 i footed the bill on uncountable electrical problems,bolts falling out everywhere,espectally the manifolds-broken motor mounts,radiator mount cracked radiator and abunch of bs from vemeer.i have discovered the wiring harness like the clutch is a warranty isssue they are tring to get me to pay for.this machine itself is a nightmare and should have been a recall

lets us 352 owners get a consensus on upon how many hours did what component fail! if a few of us get together we have a case....so far at 128 hours mine is ok.....but we need to collate info..

352 Woes

In response to Stumpy 66 and Stumpya here is my info.

Of course no problems during warranty which expired at 210hrs

300-350hrs. 1 clutch, 2 broken motor mounts 3 trips to shop for electrical problems

350-400 hrs. 2 more trips for electrical

400-450 hrs. 2 more motor mounts, 5 shield bolts, 1 set of belts,

450-500 hrs. 2 more electrical problems, replaced main wiring harness free of charge

500-550 hrs. Rebuild main bearing on lower end of boom where wheel bolts to. Dealership blamed it on running green teeth instead of Vermeer teeth. 2 motor mounts, more electrical wiring trouble, 2 radiator brackets replaced

600-650 hrs. 1 set of belts due to can't keep belt tension, bolts keep working loose and loosening belts. Several more shield bolts.

My serial number on my unit is 1vry102w641000716. I will be curious what other serial numbers are. Stumpya is within 50 units of mine and I am curious if others within these numbers are having similar numbers?:cry:

I hear a lot of bad things about warrenty issues with Vermeer,a guy overhere has a new 6' chipper still in peices,definatly manufacturing problem ,but Vermeer UK won't warrent it..

Sweetness of low prices

Well it seams that a lot of you like the low prices that vermeer temp you with
but, The sweetness of the price is long forgoten once the bitterness of poor quality performance and downtime SHOW ITS UGLY HEAD.:bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:.
I find it unbeliveable that you guys think that a small weld crack here and a fallen bit there is ok when you paid good money for a product.

Still at least the salesman that sold you that machine is ok on his commision:popcorn:

911crash said:
my 352 has had no real problems, a broken motor adjusting bolt and a cracked weld on the shield covering the wheel. i took the grinder in couple weeks ago with problems starting and stalling out randomly. they told me they found a loose wire or something fixed it and said no other problem. first job using it after repair it stalled numerous times. next day was talking to one of guys about he asked if i checked oil?? low and behold it was @2qts low you would think the dealer would check that. especially with the frequent stalling.:bang:

i guess they thought that was your job.... the thing only holds 3.5 quarts... if you were two quarts down,, shame on you...

John464 said:
I have had a lot of problems with my SC352, but with that said when its running right its a great little machine.

Just recently my 352 is starting to stall out when taking big bites. never did this before since it is equipped with AutoSweep. Tightened the belts, that seemed to help a little but its still doing it..... so I have to "grind lightly" to get the stumps out. Anyone had a similar problem or know of some things I should check?
motor stop?? or is it just the wheel that stops?????

juststumps said:
i guess they thought that was your job.... the thing only holds 3.5 quarts... if you were two quarts down,, shame on you...

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

juststumps said:
motor stop?? or is it just the wheel that stops?????

both
wheels stops and the motor stalls...happens at the same time

I still have this problem and been learning to deal with it. I have learned how to push it just enough before it stalls. when the autosweep was working it was much easier, now it takes a little more skill to fly through the stumps. Hopefully soon ill have time to drop her at Vermeer and get another raped repair bill

John464 said:
both
wheels stops and the motor stalls...happens at the same time

I still have this problem and been learning to deal with it. I have learned how to push it just enough before it stalls. when the autosweep was working it was much easier, now it takes a little more skill to fly through the stumps. Hopefully soon ill have time to drop her at Vermeer and get another raped repair bill
my 352, flat tire, broken teeth, loose bolts,, missing bolts,, 2 snapped engine adjusters,, radiator screen just popped a few spot welds and rattles...deal with it,, fix it,, maintain it!!

john464, check out earlier posts.. more than likely, its a loose or broken wire... my machine is fine... but, the 352 at my day job,, has had all kids of loose broken wire problems...

it was so bad, glow plugs didn't work..guys were starting it with ether...that machine is in the shop right now,, smoking heavy!!!

juststumps just took a day off, and did grinding for the boss...made a weeks pay in one day...i hope vemeer has thier machine for a long time!!!!!

I must admit the vibration going through my 352 is way unacceptable,i'm just waiting for bits to fall off or start breaking..

Carltons,Bandits,Raycos non of them are perfect..

Liston has carlton sorted out the appauling drive system on the 7015??? loads of guys on here have said they get stuck on a banana skin!

Last edited:
Liston said:
I find it unbeliveable that you guys think that a small weld crack here and a fallen bit there is ok when you paid good money for a product.

Still at least the salesman that sold you that machine is ok on his commision:popcorn:

Not being funny mate ,but a guy on here had to fit a winch to his 7015 because it got stuck so many times,thats not acceptable either,he wasn't the only person to moan about the drive problem..

Over here Carlton has changed the tires on the 7015s, look much more aggressive. There is also a track version - looks nice but expensive!

Back