vermeer 630a pillow block bearing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

millbilly

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I blew out the bearings today, called vermeer to inquire how much for replacments. No surprise, they quoted me $125 each $250 for the pair $15 tax for a 40 dollar pillow block. Has anyone used stock bearings and if so where did you get them?

Pillow Block bearings,

The last place to buy them is Vermeer. I use a local Motion Industries, Take the old one with you. Or any bearing supplier can get them, Its best to shop around. Good Luck

I blew out the bearings today, called vermeer to inquire how much for replacments. No surprise, they quoted me $125 each $250 for the pair $15 tax for a 40 dollar pillow block. Has anyone used stock bearings and if so where did you get them?

Pillow Block Bearings

You want to get a spherical roller bearings. If you go with a ball bearing, it will explode in a matter of minutes. It can't take the rpm's. I stock Rexnord/Linkbelt self purging spherical roller bearings in many bore sizes. If you let me know the shft size, I'll see if I can help you.

Thanks,

Dave
Global Equipment Exporters

You want to get a spherical roller bearings. If you go with a ball bearing, it will explode in a matter of minutes. It can't take the rpm's. I stock Rexnord/Linkbelt self purging spherical roller bearings in many bore sizes. If you let me know the shft size, I'll see if I can help you.

Thanks,

Dave
Global Equipment Exporters

Hey dave thanks. Whats the difference between spherical and ball bearings? Anyway the shaft size is 1 3/4"

Thanks
Keith

Keith,

I've already left the office and I'll get you a price tomorrow.

Spherical bearings are shaped like a round pencil. The ball bearings are shaped like a ball. I had a customer buy a ball bearing for $30 for his jack shaft and they exploded in 10 minutes. The ball bearings. The bearings we carry are used by Carlton and Rayco. Again, they are self purging so when grease them, it will purge the dirty grease out.

You can visit our website at New and Used Heavy Equipment For Sale and Export: Construction Equipment, Trucks, Heavy Machinery at Global Equipment Exporters and view the bearings in the online store. They might be listed under Rayco RG50 and the part number should be RG134.

If you have any questions, please let me know.

Thanks,

Dave

Keith,

The 1 3/4" bearings are $215.47 each. These are bearings specifically designed for stump grinders. One thing I failed to tell you is that ball bearings are meant for slow speed applications. I imagine Vermeer is using the Seal Master brand. You might be able to find these at either Motion Industries or Applied Technologies.

Hope this helps.

Dave

Added info on Vermeer 630A pillow block bearings

Just wanted to throw in my two cents which might help someone else. I recently acquired a 630A which needs bearings. After a lot of time pondering what to use, I ordered bearings from my Vermeer dealer at $120 each.

Yes, spherical bearings are probably superior and not that much more ($220 above vs. $120 isn't that bad considering the labor involved to replace!), but it didn't appear sphericals would fit a 630A (at least mine) without modifications to the mounts. In fact, a lot of generic pillow blocks have a longer body than fits my 630A--use caution before ordering!

According to parts info my dealer sent, the Vermeer bearings were spec'ed as P3U228HM which are Link-Belt (Rexnord) ball bearings with a "floating labyrinth seal" (H suffix). Not sure what M suffix means.

I had a hard time finding a matched set of similar quality bearings on ebay for much less money, especially with a labyrinth (non-rubber) seal. I decided it was worth it to just order dealer parts. I'm hoping I don't receive Chinese junk substitutes! Note the parts sheet lists them with a modification, which I think is milling/grinding the ends so they fit between stop blocks. I will post again once I see them.

Incidentally, spherical bearings are capable of much higher loads than ball bearings (~10x), but most catalogs I look at don't show 1500-1600 rpm as unreasonable speed for ball bearings. With 2:1 belts and a VH4D, my cutter must run about that rpm.

If you're trying to use generic pillow blocks with rubber seals, you might try pressure-limiting grease fittings to avoid blowing them out. McMaster.com has them. Only problem... they are large. I'm thinking button-head grease fitttings on my bearings (again McMaster), as it seems regular fittings will get knocked off in no time!

Note: I'm probably going to post some comments on belts and pulleys elsewhere if you are searching parts for a 630A.

Back