Vermont castings.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Been looking at the aspen model wood burner. Anyone have any luck with Vermont castings. I'm looking to put the wood in long ways instead of side to side and like the feature of the glass instead of an all metal door

Been looking at the aspen model wood burner. Anyone have any luck with Vermont castings. I'm looking to put the wood in long ways instead of side to side and like the feature of the glass instead of an all metal door
I had that stove, it takes 14 inch wood, fire box very small, worse stove i ever owned...

Holy crap! Only 14" long. Most of my wood is 16-18" in length. I was trying to buy an American made stove. Do you have any recommendations for a stove similar in construction of putting the logs in long ways instead of side to side. I'm only heating 700sqft. Thanks for the reply!

I just installed a side to side loading stove a few weeks ago. It will be my last one. Good luck in your pursuit of a proper loading stove! The e/w thing sucks, but the fire is nice to look at. I guess that's the point, but loading a hot stove is a pita.

I read somewhere someone puts a couple of cinder blocks in their big stove to effectively make the firebox smaller. Buy a big e/w stove and load it n/s?

perhaps consider a plate steel stove rather than cast to get that big firebox?

Holy crap! Only 14" long. Most of my wood is 16-18" in length. I was trying to buy an American made stove. Do you have any recommendations for a stove similar in construction of putting the logs in long ways instead of side to side. I'm only heating 700sqft. Thanks for the reply!
For a start, look at this fine stove: https://www.jotul.com/products/wood-stoves/f-602-v2

Wow thanks wood hound. Those are 2 great options I saved them. Anything better than those pot metal stoves from China that menards or tractor supply. Thanks again for the great information!!! I did alot of research and never came come across those. :numberone:

Find old Vigilant and don't look back.
Been rocking a Vermont Reliant I scored off CL 20+ years ago in the basement. Other than upsizing the damper rod diameter after 15 years on, It's an energizer bunny. But that stove was before EPA regs, the buyout, and cheapening of the brand. Reliant is small, 6" pipe, But I can mostly top door (re) load without even opening the damper.

Had a Vermont Casting Intrepid for 22 years now. Just did my second total rebuild. Has been a very good heat source. Only replaced 2 catalytic converters. We had a side loader once, I did not like it as much as a top-front loader.
Good Luck finding what you want.

Sad to hear Vermont castings newer products are using cheaper quality parts. They had some really nice looking stoves. But as wood hound said only 14" log size is ridiculous. I have a tool I made out of an arrow and a rare earth magnet that goes on bar tip and I cut all my wood 16" some larger some smaller but I'm in that 14-18" range. I would hate to find out I can't close the door because the log is half inch too long.

Had a few of these long ago still have 1 in a cottage basement going strong. I'm mad that I didn't buy 1 when tractor supply was blowing them out for a few hundred bucks just didn't have the room to store at the time.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211101-064352_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20211101-064352_Google.jpg
    209.7 KB · Views: 19
I'm still liking my Century Insert made in Canada. They have a stove like you're looking for and it's non-catalytic like mine. Max. log length is 20". If it's like my insert as far as keeping the glass clean, I think I cleaned the glass twice last season, I smoldering fires for me. I had to get the small model insert to fit the fireplace, they longer make the small insert.

https://www.century-heating.com/us/en/wood-stoves/cb00023/

Wow thats sweet I forwarded that to my old man he is going to be installing one in a new house he is building here shortly. Move in date is January sometime I may buy one myself it's definitely in my wheelhouse $ wise

Don't over look Canadian,1635797532982.png I have the classic and it gives you a 2 cubic ft fire box, I love mine - Going on 10+ years!! Running it hard, Still have yet to need parts. You can load N-S or E-W. Great stove!! Big Window for the show, Buy a bigger fire box then you will need. You can always build a smaller fire but not a larger fire with a small box.95% of the time I have plenty of coals the next morning, I just throw a few splits in her and open up the air
and were off again. They also have smaller stoves as well https://www.pacificenergy.net/product/super-classic-le/

Back