Vertical Bandsaw Lumber Mill

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shawn Curry

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I started building this system about a year and a half ago, after seeing a Youtube video of a guy doing the same on his bandsaw. I drew inspiration from a couple different versions I found online, and from traditional sliding carriage sawmill designs.

I built a set of infeed and outfeed tables with removeable roller track which match the height of my bandsaw table. I recommend using adjustable feet; I ended up having to hack a little bit off of the feet on my infeed table with a circ saw to get it to the right height. Not a very precise cut, but it did the trick. Also, due to the relatively small size of my bandsaw table, I found it necessary to use a roller stand to provide a little outboard support for the sled when it's riding over the bandsaw deck.

The sled is a culmination of several different versions I built. It's 8' long, and has a 10' runner let into the bottom, which registers in the miter slot on the bandsaw table. I routed some t-slots into it at 1' intervals to accept Rockler style jig hardware, in order to locate clamps, hold downs, or angle irons, as needed, without having to screw/unscrew them all of the time. I use it most often with the pipe clamp, which also comes in handy as a full-length handlebar.

One last feature I'll mention, which is not shown, was the recent addition of a pencil drawn scale on the sled. I marked out full length lines every 1", and 1/4 and 1/2 marks at 1' intervals. This really sped up the setup time and improved accuracy on cants that are not perfectly straight - as I can quickly 'eyeball' any adjustments needed to compensate for a previous inaccurate cut.

In this video, I'm working on salvaging some lumber that was sawn and dried incorrectly. Enjoy!

Attachments

• IMG_4363.JPG
    IMG_4363.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 63
  • IMG_4130.JPG
    IMG_4130.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 59
  • IMG_0840.JPG
    IMG_0840.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 60
  • IMG_3143.JPG
    IMG_3143.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 63
  • IMG_4407.JPG
    IMG_4407.JPG
    1,014.8 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_4412.JPG
    IMG_4412.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 49
Looks good.
What is the HP, wheel size and max throat depth of the Bandsaw?

Usually bandsaw mills cut up logs whereas your setup is not so much milling as re-sawing.

The saw is a Grizzly 513 - 2HP, 17" throat, 12.5" resaw, running a 1" Lenox Woodmaster CT blade. I've done small logs on it too, but these days I prefer to "rough them out" with the CSM, and then resaw the slabs on the band saw. If I have to go through bark, I'd rather do it with the chainsaw, vs my expensive carbide tip BS blade that I can't resharpen myself.

Attachments

• IMG_4208.JPG
    IMG_4208.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 41
  • IMG_4213.JPG
    IMG_4213.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 46
  • IMG_4218.JPG
    IMG_4218.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 42
  • IMG_4246.JPG
    IMG_4246.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 48
  • IMG_4252.JPG
    IMG_4252.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 46
  • IMG_4269.JPG
    IMG_4269.JPG
    590.5 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_4271.JPG
    IMG_4271.JPG
    920.3 KB · Views: 34
Looks like it worked great although I would suggest lowering the guides to just above the plank when sawing. Less chance of blade drift/deflection. BTW, I have the same bandsaw and sawed a bunch of short logs with it before getting a band sawmill.

Looks like it worked great although I would suggest lowering the guides to just above the plank when sawing. Less chance of blade drift/deflection. BTW, I have the same bandsaw and sawed a bunch of short logs with it before getting a band sawmill.

I usually do, but sometimes I forget. I don't get much deflection at all though unless the blade is getting dull or the log slips in the clamp or something.

I'd love to get a BSM but I'd love to have a lot of other things too - and I'd rather not go in debt so quickly. I'd need to build another building too cause the garage is just about full. :drinkingcoffee:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 17
I have been wanting to do the same thing for some time now. With the same setup that you have same saw almost same everything. Glad to see somebody with the same mind frame. I dig it

Latest posts

Back