Very funny story when delivering wood the other morning

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I will skip the stand up routine I was thinking about trying. What I think is funny apparently most people dont haha. Oh well, this will save me from getting vegetables thrown at me.

I found humor in it. You deal with all sorts when delivering wood. You can never judge a persons ability t pay because of the value of their house. There are a ton of americans that are house poor. There are lots of people living in big houses that couldn't show you 1k in cash if you asked. They have a good income but it's spoken for before it hits the bank.

Scott

I'll add to this and you can tell me if this fits the humor content threshold:

About ten years ago I was between trucks and couldn't haul firewood very well, so when a guy pulled up in front of my house with a load of seasoned and split firewood, I thought I'd give it a look. Whole truckload, all hardwood, price was reasonable, so I said I'd take it all and handed him a check. I even offered to help him unload it. At this point he holds up his hand and whistles out loudly. I hadn't noticed other people in the truck, but the side door pops open, two women jump out, and they start unloading the logs. Now these weren't just any women. They were his wife and his mother-in-law...... He insisted that I not help, as they were part of his crew.

Anybody else ever crew out their spouse and mother-in-law?

I found humor in it. You deal with all sorts when delivering wood. You can never judge a persons ability t pay because of the value of their house. There are a ton of americans that are house poor. There are lots of people living in big houses that couldn't show you 1k in cash if you asked. They have a good income but it's spoken for before it hits the bank.

Scott

Your lucky to catch either of the parents home cause they both work full time and one has a part time job to make ends meet.. Its the same up here in Edmonton.. I would like to know who all bought the three new subdivisions worth of million dollar homes.. cause i sure know there are not that many jobs that pay that much..:msp_confused: Not that i want one of those homes.. House poor would suck..

Anybody else ever crew out their spouse and mother-in-law?

If i even put that thought into words my wife would kill me.. You guys would never hear from me again :laugh: .. She will help me stack our wood.. but stacking wood to sell.. yup.. i'd be a dead man..

We've got what I consider a nice middle class home.. vinyl, metal roof, 1700sq ft on 1.8 acres. 20x25 barn with a poured floor. Mortgage is about 1/4 of our net take-home. We've been looking for a smaller house with more land. Problem is finding that 1200 sq ft, 2br, 1 ba house that isn't a run down junker. We considered buying land and building a small house, but that was cost prohibitive. Even though the housing market is in the dumpster, building materials are at a premium.

We went to an estate auction yesterday to bid on a small house on 4 acres, but it went too high. The house needed 20k put in it and was a 3br which made it chopped up small rooms. The barn was sweet though. 30x36 3-bent, concrete floor and 18" concrete knee walls. Already had water in it, but no electricity (yet) :msp_w00t:

a bit ot, but.....
Ian

I would have handled it different...I would have just said no problem just give me a call when yhou can afford it and take the load back home or offer to take a post dated check or payments or put it on her credit card and move on to the next delivery. My reasoning for this is she is now a woman scorn and as you know women gab all day long and now she has a story to tell in her own perspective and it will NOT do your reputation any good! Just my 2-cents worth after learning the hard way serving the public for 30 years now. But you can usually turn a mishap into a heroic action. Remember when you are a hero they might tell someone but when you are the oppisite they WILL tell everyboby they can think of!

I would have handled it different...I would have just said no problem just give me a call when yhou can afford it and take the load back home or offer to take a post dated check or payments or put it on her credit card and move on to the next delivery. My reasoning for this is she is now a woman scorn and as you know women gab all day long and now she has a story to tell in her own perspective and it will NOT do your reputation any good! Just my 2-cents worth after learning the hard way serving the public for 30 years now. But you can usually turn a mishap into a heroic action. Remember when you are a hero they might tell someone but when you are the oppisite they WILL tell everyboby they can think of!

I understand your opinion but I think most of her anger will be directed toward her husband when he gets home from work. Also when its 20 below and her family is over for christmas and my wood is burning excellent as it has for them for many seasons I think this situation will fade away like smoke up the chimney. I am willing to bet my hard earned $$$ that the check will be good and they will order firewood from me next year again. I have been doing this for many years and you kind of get a feel for this sort of thing after a few decades of dealing with people.

So 7pm the other night a guy orders 1.5 cords of firewood from me and has done so for a few years now, no problem I tell him I will be there at 7am the next morning he says good the check will be on the door. 7am the next morning I roll in, no check on the door, house is dark I call his cell phone no answer I figure I will dump the wood and have him send the check as I have a good history with him. But I decide to ring the doorbell just once incase he is here getting ready for work. NO answer so now Im opening the doors on my truck and his wife comes out and hollers "WE HAVE NO MONEY FOR THIS RIGHT NOW" as she is getting uncomortably close to me and I say um what happened between 7pm last night and 7am this morning were you robbed last night....

Dude, you totally missed it!

She wanted to offer "services" inexchange for your wood. Her anger emerged when you spurned her advances. The husband was in on it all along, and the check was just the backup plan.

unbelievable

The truck I was in that day holds 3 full cords, I have a few different sized trucks for delivery. Bye the way I apologize for the length I didnt realize it got that long just trying to get all of her rants in. Let me tell you maybe it seemed funnier when she was 2 inches from my face screamin about peanut butter and jelly sandwiches than sitting in your home reading it off a screen, thinking about how you would react to someone like that instead of being right there.
One more thing their house is worth 500k easy.

People with a half a million dollar house and have NO food stash..freekin amazing. I got around two years worth of at least emergency food put away, and we are bonafide poverty level poor. I have priorities though, water and food supply are #1 at all times. They don't even have two weeks of backup decent food, but I bet they got some whopper ridiculous big screen TV along with other near useless extravagances.

Magnify that food situation by around 95% of the population who are similar in their priorities of what they spend their money on and you can see what will happen when we have a large systemic bank (likely) and/or oil (expanded mideast conflict) crash. Gonna get ugly. I call those sorts of people professional victims.

good story, thanks.

What looks like a $500,000 house probably isn't. The market crashed, as most folks know. Maybe they are considering walking away from their house because they owe way more than it is worth. Maybe they lost their jobs and things are not good. Maybe foreclosure is close. Lots of heavy stuff could be going on. ....not funny at all.

Women gab all the time? posted by another poster...If they do, then who earns the money?

By the way, men are just as bad about gossiping or passing information, as you like to call it. Shoot, read the posts on these forums.

Now, continue on dispersing information/gossip.:popcorn:

People with a half a million dollar house and have NO food stash..freekin amazing...

Well that is what I always say...

If they have a Cadillac in the driveway of their big fancy house, are they rich? Or are they poor because they have to make the payments on those things?

Back