Victorian Firewood Collection - Spring Season 2018

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2 Stroke Pete

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
G'day All,

Apologies if this post is in the wrong place, however just wondering if anyone has gone out scouting firewood in Victoria? The season opened up over the weekend, and I am keen to find out if there are accessible 2WD sections in the Poweltown/Guilderoy collection areas?

I have never ventured out collect wood in Victoria, had an unlimited supply of Jarrah and Wandoo when spending time in Western Australia, lived there for many years then relocated back to Victoria. Would be keen for some advice on where to go with a 2WD vehicle.

Might do better in the “Firewood, heating and wood burning” section. Good luck getting info.

Look here. https://www.ffm.vic.gov.au/firewood/firewood-collection-in-your-region

Click on the collection area and it will tell you if it is 2wd accessible although i have made it up and down all of the "4wd only" ones that I've tried in an alloy tray Hilux, even towing a trailer. Most of the firewood areas are actually quite easy to access. Around Powelltown the dirt roads are quite good, and the hardest part is getting in and out of the old logging coupes (make sure the collection area covers them - sometimes its only 10m off the side of the road) - even then, if the logging trucks can do it, with a bit of sense, any 2wd should be able to. I highly recommend taking snow chains - they are a life saver on slick clay or even mud - just put them on before you get stuck i.e. before you venture off a formed road. I carry a 4t hand winch and a shovel and while i have been pulled out/through when I've been with friends in 4wd vehicles, I've also made it much further than i ever thought possible.

Look here. https://www.ffm.vic.gov.au/firewood/firewood-collection-in-your-region

Click on the collection area and it will tell you if it is 2wd accessible although i have made it up and down all of the "4wd only" ones that I've tried in an alloy tray Hilux, even towing a trailer. Most of the firewood areas are actually quite easy to access. Around Powelltown the dirt roads are quite good, and the hardest part is getting in and out of the old logging coupes (make sure the collection area covers them - sometimes its only 10m off the side of the road) - even then, if the logging trucks can do it, with a bit of sense, any 2wd should be able to. I highly recommend taking snow chains - they are a life saver on slick clay or even mud - just put them on before you get stuck i.e. before you venture off a formed road. I carry a 4t hand winch and a shovel and while i have been pulled out/through when I've been with friends in 4wd vehicles, I've also made it much further than i ever thought possible.

Hi Rio95,

I am going to head out hopefully this weekend, will take the gear and trailer with me, it will be more of a scout out. May need to go back and grab the SUV, however the thing drinks like I do! :givebeer:

Will also take the wheel barrow, as am tipping I will need to cart wood back to the vehicle?

I've never needed a wheelbarrow - I've always been able to park within a few metres of the wood, although it is the low-speed maneuvering around with the trailer that puts you in situations where you can get stuck.

I've never needed a wheelbarrow - I've always been able to park within a few metres of the wood, although it is the low-speed maneuvering around with the trailer that puts you in situations where you can get stuck.

OK, let's see how the scouting goes. How big is the wood generally? I was thinking of slabbing then splitting at home, the site does state you need to split it there and neatly stack. Not sure how strictly this is policed?

All depends on what is there - sometimes it's as little as 8" diameter, but i have had a 36" bar buried before too. I normally split on site, but that is only to keep the mess there. I have done loads of rounds and split at home - i don't think it really matters. The reason they want you to neatly stack is so they can easily make sure you aren't over your quota of 2m3 per person per day. I've never heard of anyone been checked for this before - to be honest, i don't believe it is heavily policed.

All depends on what is there - sometimes it's as little as 8" diameter, but i have had a 36" bar buried before too. I normally split on site, but that is only to keep the mess there. I have done loads of rounds and split at home - i don't think it really matters. The reason they want you to neatly stack is so they can easily make sure you aren't over your quota of 2m3 per person per day. I've never heard of anyone been checked for this before - to be honest, i don't believe it is heavily policed.

WOW, 36" what are you running that on? Agree with leaving the mess behind, also makes good habitat for the little critters in the bush!

Latest posts

Back