Video: 361 Piped

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Here's my 361 Big Bore with an 044 carb. This is the prototype P&C that I tested several months ago. It's running great. This is my very first experience messing with a pipe on one of my saws, so it's all new to me.

Levi, aka Breymeyerfam, was kind enough to send my his pipe to try out on my saw. My saw wasn't ported with a pipe in mind, so has higher transfers with less blowdown than Levi's. A piped saw likes more blowdown. Also, my saw has 6 more cc than his OEM P&C. What I'm trying to say, is that this pipe wasn't built to the specs of my saw. Reguardless, my saw still responded reasonably well. I don't think you can expect a whole lot more than 15-20% by just bolting a pipe on a muffler saw. Levi got 17% with this pipe, and I'm getting 14%.

Now here's what's weird. This pipe was kind of peaky on Levis saw. On mine, the powerband feels wider than stock, and not peaky in the least. I'm pushing hard on the saw in the vid. It needs more chain, and/or an 8-pin rim. Definately not what I expected with a pipe.

Tuning is scary with this thing. It runs best tuned leaner than what I wanted to give it. Remember how Levi posted his first vid with it and we told him it was running too rich? I was doing the same thing. I finally tuned it leaner where it ran best and it seems to be fine. I did a plug chop at WOT in the bottom of a cut, and the plug looks fine. Just part of learning how to deal with a pipe I guess.

I took the best of three cuts. With muffler it was 6.30, and with pipe it was 5.40, for an improvement of 14%.

Anyway............here's the vid.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/BHPOc6gBWGg&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/BHPOc6gBWGg&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I had no idea it would be that big. I've seen tuned pipes on .9 cubic inch model aircraft the size of a large cigar. Levi's looks like it came from a 125cc motorcycle. Hard to call the saw 'woods tuned' with that thing on it.

You da MAN!!! :bowdown:

WTF, He just bolted a pipe on and retuned, no reason to call a parade and band. LOL:cheers:

Brad I ran levi's piped 660 at the last GTG we had and they do sound good, I do understand what you are saying about being peaky, it would take a nack to keep it in the meat. Are you getting into piped saw now????

I have no experience here so this could be totaly foolish of me, but with the pipe it sounds like its still four stroking in the wood. I am sure its hard to tune those bad boys at first and I am sure you went as lean as you thought was safe.

Great rippin saw Brad! Thanks for the show again!:cheers:

So are they all getting pipes now Brad?

Are you getting into piped saw now????

No, not really. With the 346 and several 70-80cc saws, the 361 doesn't get used much. So I don't mind risking it a littl more. The only other saw I'm interested in piping is my 460. My 440 with 460 topend kind of replaced it as a work saw. And then there's the 681 that I've taken a real liking to. So no, I have no intentions of piping a lot of my saws.

I will not be re-porting the 361 to optimize it for a pipe. I'm going to leave it as a work saw and just bolt on the piipe to play, similiarly to what Levi's done. The 460 I intend to make a full-time play saw. It will be seeing additional port work. This is all new to me, so it may go well, and it may not:dizzy:

BTW, I LOVE the sound of the pipe! It does sound just like a little RM80 or something.

That's impressive. Now you gotta modify a saw case to pack that bad boy around.

Brad:

Stupid question time:

Why does the pipe increase performance? Less back pressure? Could the same be achieved by opening the muffler more?

Keep it simple if you can 'cos anything else will go over my head.

Why does the pipe increase performance? Less back pressure? Could the same be achieved by opening the muffler more?

More back pressure actually. Lots of it, just at the right time. It actually acts kind of like a super charger. The sonic waves of the exhaust help pull exhaust from the cylinder, which also pulls fresh charge with it. That charge is then pushed back into the cylinder as the sonic waves bounce back from within the pipe, stuffing extra charge into the engine. I can get any more technical for you than that. My pipe knowledge is very limited. As Levi, he'll probably be able to give you a more edjucated answer. Timberwolf will be able to write you a book on it;)

Thanks Brad

In your case, just starting out with the pipes, do you just experiment until you get what you want or do you have access to a formula that puts you pretty close to the mark?

Back